Author Topic: Newbie With a Question...  (Read 3503 times)

Offline Toploader

Newbie With a Question...
« on: October 23, 2010, 09:25:41 AM »
Newbie here folks...

Would someone please point me in the direction of finding and exploring the state laws for PRIVATE PROPERTY OC?

My question is this:
Is it legal to open carry on MY private property, in or upon a vehicle, as long as I am on my own property?
I read somewhere that private property law supersedes state law however I am unable to find anything about private property law regarding this.
Thanks!

Offline northofnowhere

Re: Newbie With a Question...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 03:15:05 PM »
That would, from the legal definition, be considered conceal carry.  While on your own property though, you may carry openly or concealed.  The easiest reference to find to this fact is the Michigan State Police Concealed Carry FAQ located at:

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1586_27094-10953--,00.html

3.  Do I need a concealed pistol permit to carry my pistols while walking through the woods near my cabin in Michigan? If not, are there any restrictions on how or where the gun is carried?

MCL 750.227 allows you to carry a pistol concealed or not if you are in your own home or on your own property.  If you do not own the land, no license is needed to carry a pistol as long as it is exposed.  However, should a person cover the pistol during inclement weather with a jacket or coat or get into a vehicle, the pistol would be concealed, and the carrier would place himself in jeopardy unless he possessed a concealed pistol permit.  Per Attorney General's opinion #3158 dated February 14, 1945, a holster, in plain view, is not considered concealed. Department of Natural Resources regulations require a person to have a valid Michigan hunting license if in an area inhabited by wildlife, while in possession of a firearm.

Jason E. Reese aka northofnowher