Author Topic: Rockford MI  (Read 7400 times)

Offline BTAvery

Rockford MI
« on: October 31, 2010, 10:04:04 PM »
Has anyone OCed or know of someone that has OCed in Rockford MI its Northeast of Grand Rapids.

Offline hooch

Re: Rockford MI
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 10:45:53 PM »
I am in Belmont but usually CC there. Looks like the City Manager and police chief are learning about having to allow firearms.

Rockford will adjust rules regarding guns in parks to comply with state law
Published: Tuesday, October 26, 2010, 1:30 PM     Updated: Tuesday, October 26, 2010, 1:31 PM

ROCKFORD -- Only a small change is needed to get ordinances regarding guns in parks to comply with state law, said City Manager Michael Young. After a Plainfield Township resident told the City Council that Rockford's ordinances illegally forbid guns in parks, Young said he will introduce an amendment "to make it clear that no person shall possess or discharge firearms within the city of Rockford and our park system except as expressly permitted by sections of other state/federal laws."

He said the ordinances are well written but do not recognize that in some circumstances those with concealed-carry weapon permits are allowed to possess firearms in parks.

He worked with Police Chief David Jones on the amendment.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/10/rockford_will_adjust_rules_reg.html

Offline emt805

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 01:25:01 AM »
I am in Belmont but usually CC there. Looks like the City Manager and police chief are learning about having to allow firearms.

Rockford will adjust rules regarding guns in parks to comply with state law
Published: Tuesday, October 26, 2010, 1:30 PM     Updated: Tuesday, October 26, 2010, 1:31 PM

ROCKFORD -- Only a small change is needed to get ordinances regarding guns in parks to comply with state law, said City Manager Michael Young. After a Plainfield Township resident told the City Council that Rockford's ordinances illegally forbid guns in parks, Young said he will introduce an amendment "to make it clear that no person shall possess or discharge firearms within the city of Rockford and our park system except as expressly permitted by sections of other state/federal laws."

He said the ordinances are well written but do not recognize that in some circumstances those with concealed-carry weapon permits are allowed to possess firearms in parks.He worked with Police Chief David Jones on the amendment.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/10/rockford_will_adjust_rules_reg.html
sounds like there is still more work to be done

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 04:00:57 PM »
Man this gets annoying -> a bunch of little tin pot dictatorships that attempt to play wordsmithing games instead of making clear laws that the common person can clearly understand. A CPL has nothing to do with OPEN CARRY. I can carry my shotgun on a sling in their park if I so desire. I would of course have a small game license or a deer tag depending on the time of year so "they" couldn't try to jam me up.

;)

ARRRGH! >:(
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline BTAvery

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 11:55:27 PM »
Wow thanks I was expecting replies of did you check with the PD. My mother has moved into (according to her address) Rockford and I will most likely be moving there at after I finish next semester of college at OCC.  I OC when I can (18) and she will be getting her CPL and S&W 649 (still trying to warm her up to carrying every day).
Thanks again I will be contacting Rockford PD about their firearm ordinances in an attempt to get them to finish changing the laws.

Offline kc8swy

• MOC Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 10:50:07 AM »
I OC'ed in an Ankle Holster while Mountain Biking at Luton Park on Saturday.

Offline BTAvery

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 11:33:30 AM »
I OC'ed in an Ankle Holster while Mountain Biking at Luton Park on Saturday.

Cool my mom lives close to there. Do you OC often in the area?

Offline kc8swy

• MOC Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 01:08:08 PM »
I almost always OC in my ankle holster while bicycling (G26), with the only exception being races (as my family/friends are carrying close by).  When the weather gets salty, I just put it in a gallon sized glad bag first.  That was my first time at Luton.  I typically ride at Cannnosburg Game Area (Egypt Valley), but they are closed for hunting.  I usually don't do much cycling in Grand Rapids area, but I do race the kisscross.com race series.  I live an hour from Grand Rapids, so I'm not a regular GR OC'er.