Author Topic: OC in Walmart, Kroger...  (Read 8339 times)

Offline Christian Patriot

• Daniel
OC in Walmart, Kroger...
« on: November 09, 2010, 10:31:44 PM »
Hey all... I am new to the OC world. In fact I have never carried a weapon at all... I am sure this has been discussed before, but for my clarification, can one oc without a cpl in Walmart, Kroger or places like that? They obviously don't serve alcohol, but they do sell it. The way I am reading it is, it's ok because the alcohol is not being served. Also, did I read correctly that you can not carry at all at the Post Office? Thanx in advance.

Daniel Brewer
If you act like a horses bodonka donk, you should be treated as such, so, be of good character!

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
Re: OC in Walmart, Kroger...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 10:35:18 PM »
Welcome CP I have at both places no problem. I even get all of my ammo, from the walmart in livoina Mi.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline ocdetroit

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 10:37:56 PM »
U can not carry in any federal build.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline Master Control

• MOC Charter Member Augusta, MI.
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 12:48:49 AM »
Hey all... I am new to the OC world. In fact I have never carried a weapon at all... I am sure this has been discussed before, but for my clarification, can one oc without a cpl in Walmart, Kroger or places like that? They obviously don't serve alcohol, but they do sell it. The way I am reading it is, it's ok because the alcohol is not being served. Also, did I read correctly that you can not carry at all at the Post Office? Thanx in advance.

Daniel Brewer

Greetings and Welcome Christian Patroit;

Without a CPL you can NOT Open Carry in a place that legally sells alcohol, as for the post office, it being federal I would strongly advise you NOT to carry a firearm in there, that is still a grey area in terms of the law. Please pay close attension to subsection (h) below:

The carrying of firearms in public is also restricted by the Michigan Penal Code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.1 et seq. Section 234d of the Penal Code identifies certain "gun free zones" similar to those enumerated in section 5o of the Concealed Pistol Licensing Act; within those specified zones, the possession of firearms is strictly prohibited, subject to limited exceptions. Specifically, section 234d(1) of the Penal Code provides that:

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:

(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.

(b) A church or other house of religious worship.

(c) A court.

(d) A theatre.

(e) A sports arena.

(f) A day care center.

(g) A hospital.

(h)  An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

"Liberty's too precious a thing to be buried in books...Men should hold it up in front of them every single day of their lives and say: 'I'm free to think and to speak. My ancestors couldn't. I can. And my children will."
,,, So Mote Be

Offline Biggrrizzley

• CC or OC just dont tread on me!!
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 01:47:40 PM »
can i oc in the mall
Grrizzley

Warchild

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 03:28:49 PM »

Daniel Brewer

I see you did not pay full attention grasshopper....
NO you can not. The law states...anyplace with a valid liquor license. They do not have to sell it. This includes the parking lot of the business also.

BTW: Call me...no answer when I tried to call you?

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
  • First Name (Displayed): Tyler
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 05:00:51 PM »
can i oc in the mall

Mall,legally would be fine.keep in mind that many malls in the state have policies against it however,but unless you got asked to leave you'd be fine.
Without a cpl,dont go into any daycares or places that serve alcohol or theatres though(anything on the PFZ list)
My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of  Michigan Open Carry Inc, any other organization, group, person or the law of this or any other municipality,state or country unless otherwise stated.

Offline Bronson

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 02:19:01 AM »
can one oc without a cpl in Walmart, Kroger or places like that?

No

They obviously don't serve alcohol

Irrelevant for purposes of OC.

but they do sell it. 
For OC without a CPL this is more important.  Like Warchild said they only need to be licensed to sell alcohol, they don't actually have to sell it in order for you to be unable to OC sans CPL on their property.

The way I am reading it is, it's ok because the alcohol is not being served. 

The restriction on carrying in places where the primary income is earned by the sales of alcohol for consumption on the premises is for concealed carry.  Make sure you're reading the correct laws.

MCL 28.425o covers the places where you may not conceal carry a pistol.  If you are open carrying these concealed carry pistol free zones do not apply to you.

MCL 750.234d Covers the places where you may not possess a firearm (open carry).  There are several exemptions listed at the bottom, one of which is having a concealed pistol license.  If you don't meet any of those exemptions you cannot be in the possession of any firearm anywhere on the property of  the listed firearm free zones.

did I read correctly that you can not carry at all at the Post Office?

Correct. No Post Office or other Federal building carry.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline ocdetroit

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 03:16:24 PM »
  True that Carry On.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.