Author Topic: Asked to cover up at gun range  (Read 5742 times)

Offline DonS

Asked to cover up at gun range
« on: November 14, 2010, 05:15:45 PM »
So I went to Williams gun sight today in Davison.  I was standing at the 100 yard range waiting for a friend.  After a couple of minutes, the range master saw I was open carrying and asked me to cover up.  I was so surprised that I just nodded and covered my weapon.  I couldn't believe this happened while at the range.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 11:02:17 PM by lil_freak_66 »

Offline DGerard

Re: Asked ti cover up AT GUN RANGE???
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 09:40:43 PM »
Maybe the Range Master was a master of nothing...I am guessing this to be an outdoor range...Could it have been a safety issue? For example, an indoor range would request that you load your hand gun where to shoot as opposed to walking with it back to a bench and loading it...I would have at least informed he/she that it is legal to O.C. in Michigan just to start up a dialogue...if nothing else provided a trifold for there review and maybe next time take my business and $$ somewhere more worthy of my dollar...
“Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
Re: Asked to cover up at gun range
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 01:36:24 AM »
   +1 Also i hope that u have a cpl. Watch what u do just because someone tells u to do it. Carry on.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline Bronson

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 03:41:10 AM »
   +1 Also i hope that u have a cpl. Watch what u do just because someone tells u to do it. Carry on.

DING DING DING--we have a winner.  A private property owner cannot give permssion for a non-CPL holder to concealed carry on the property owner's premises.

MCL 750.227

(2) A person shall not carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law and if licensed, shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline 13mile9

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 09:16:20 PM »
Does this range have a policy of "no open carry?"  If I remember correctly, Double Action of Madison Heights has large signs indicating that you are not allowed to open carry unless you are inside the range area.... i.e. they don't want to see your weapon. 

Offline DonS

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 10:25:32 AM »
I do have a CPL so that wasn't an issue.  I looked for signs before I went in and when I left.  I also OC'd for about 15 minutes inside the store with no issues.  I just found it on that while at the range someone asked me to cover up.

Offline Big Gay Al

• MOC Member
  • Rock Island Armory 1911A1 FS Tactical .45 ACP
    • Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
  • First Name (Displayed): Al
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 05:48:00 AM »
I do have a CPL so that wasn't an issue.  I looked for signs before I went in and when I left.  I also OC'd for about 15 minutes inside the store with no issues.  I just found it on that while at the range someone asked me to cover up.
Probably another one of those Pro-CC/Anti-OC jerks we hear about, from time to time. :)
Big Gay Al
Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols

Offline scot623

• MOC Member
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 10:55:14 AM »
I bought my M&P 9mm from Williams. I OC'ed my Sigma while Scott OD his pistol the whole time I was shopping. We were in there for over half an hour with no issues. I used my free range certificate right then to test out the new gun. OC'd with Scott at the range, no issues.  Switched out my gun in the parking lot holstering the new M&P and was on my way.