Author Topic: Definition of 'concealed'  (Read 4800 times)

Offline JSteinmetz

• Administrator
Definition of 'concealed'
« on: November 26, 2010, 04:07:07 PM »
So I can't seem to find it anywhere - can anyone point out what defines 'concealed'? 

Currently, I carry my PX4 in a IWB Kholster (_very_ comfortable, by the way - anyone looking for an IWB should check them out - only $49 shipped), and was wondering how much of the pistol/holster needs to be showing to qualify for OC?

As an example, if I'm CC somewhere, and head into a bar or something like that, can I just tuck in my shirt and leave the grips/hammer area exposed?  The only thing I could find is that 'concealed' means 'observed by those casually observing the suspect as people do in the ordinary course and usual associations of life', and that seems kind of vague to me.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline BTAvery

Re: Definition of 'concealed'
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 04:20:25 PM »
The definition I always here is if an officer can see it when approaching you thats open.

Offline sprinklerguy28

• Webb Tactical
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 04:29:47 PM »
The law is very vague on this subject. I would not recommend an IWB holster if you do not have a CPL or are in a required OC zone. There have been individuals who carried in an IWB and were charged and convicted for it. If you have CPL there are no issues until you are in a PFZ.

Offline Bronson

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 10:24:23 PM »
The definition I always here is if an officer can see it when approaching you thats open.

Really?  Because most here and on OCDO operate under the idea that if any part of the gun is concealed then it's considered concealed.  I may not personally agree with that but if an officer feels it is concealed then he'll nab you for it.  If that officer happens to work in a town with a Prosecuting Attorney that also feels that partially concealed = concealed then you'll be charged with CCW (assuming in all of this that you were carrying in a no CC zone).

There was at least one PA that was able to convince a judge that an officer seeing it IWB with shirt tucked behind doesn't disqualify it as being CC.  The law is based on the idea of whether or not an average person could observe the firearm, the PA asserted that officers are not "average" people but trained observers.

It's a dangerous way to carry if you're going to try to carry in CC PFZs.  In my opinion if you're going to conceal then conceal it, if you're going to OC then get it out in the open.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine