Author Topic: Newbie to OC, not to CC - St. Clair County  (Read 5066 times)

Offline JSteinmetz

• Administrator
Newbie to OC, not to CC - St. Clair County
« on: November 09, 2010, 09:32:04 AM »
Hello all!

New to this forum - saw the information on the highway cleanup sign on I-94 yesterday, and had to check it out.  I've been CC for two years now, and was unaware of the OC changes for those of us with a CPL.  Needless to say, I'm very interested, and learning all I can.

As a quick question - with the information on the site, has anyone had a chance to make a 'wallet card' with the regulations written out?  Something laminated we can keep in our wallets, for the foreseeable 'no, that's wrong' discussion we are bound to have eventually?

Sorry I missed the Gander Mountain in Utica get together this past weekend, but did not know about it until too late.  Hope to meet you all at the next local one!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline onnie0047@gmail.com

• MOC Leadership
    • Randys Old Time Radio Shows
Re: Newbie to OC, not to CC - St. Clair County
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 05:20:36 PM »

Welcome to you from Monroe!  Have a seat someone with more knowledge about your inquire will be with you shortly.  Please keep you feet off the funiture!

Tank you very much!
I am not a Cop, nor a Lawyer, not even a Medical Doctor, but I did once play a Klingon at Universal Studios!

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 09:11:54 PM »
Several cards of that type have been made.. however they are rather limited. I just carry a folded in half trifold or 2 in my back pocket.
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline JSteinmetz

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 10:36:54 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking about that, but a card that fits in my wallet would be easier.  (I already have enough crap I carry around...)

I think I might type one up with just basic info.  Anyone have suggestions?

I'm thinking just the OC and CPL laws and a disclaimer stating the information came from MSP Legal Update 86 (or something like that).
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 11:26:20 PM »
First I would like to say welcome. And the MSP update is about all u need. I went to a town meeting just a few days ago. An all the top people were there in Southwest Detroit a my all High School Western High. I mean all of the top brass.
The U.S Attorney General her self Barb Mc. Detroit top cop, ATF, State boys, border , customs , probation, U.S. Marshal, and Dearborn top cop. all there talking about how well first they told what each dept. do and how they are working together to stop B& E's and gangs from doing what they do.
During the meeting i had a chance to ask a Q&A on a card. and i ask for The DPD, The State Police , Wayne  County Sheriff , and the Dearborn police to answer this question, are your people being trained on the legality of Open Carry. They all response one after another yes. The State police also mentioned about the UPdate.
 After the meeting I had a talk with the chief of police of Detroit,  told him i was the one who asked about open carry, and that i have been stopped by his people three or four times and i live on the south side of Detroit. And his officers handled themselves very professional. The Chief said thanks.
Then i stopped the Chief of police of Dearborn. Stated the same thing to him. He said may i ask you a question, i said am i being detained? I laughed he did not just look at me hard like. Then i said yes he said what do i think about open carrying around children. I told him it should start at home, if a child sees me open carrying and says look that man has a gun. I feel the parent or parents should say oh he may be a leo, or he is a law abiding citizen, or he is what we have been hearing about called Open Carry.
 It's legal here in Michigan, mommie and daddy can do it also if they want. You should have seen his face. He said thanks and walked away.  Then i had a little talk with the State police and we talked about open carry and i thanked him for working with our people  here in open carry to make it easyer for law enforcement to understand what we a trying to do.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 06:29:20 PM by lil_freak_66 »
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline emt805

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 01:20:22 AM »
First I would like to say welcome. And the MSP update is about all u need. I went to a town meeting just a few days ago. An all the top people were there in Southwest Detroit a my all High School Western High. I mean all of the top brass. The U.S Attorney General her self Barb Mc. Detroit top cop, ATF, State boys, border , customs , probation, U.S. Marshal, and Dearborn top cop. all there talking about how well first they told what each dept. do and how they are working together to stop B& E's and gangs from doing what they do. During the meeting i had a chance to ask a Q&A on a card. and i ask for The DPD, The State Police , Wayne  County Sheriff , and the Dearborn police to answer this question, are your people being trained on the legality of Open Carry. They all response one after another yes. The State police also mentioned about the UPdate. After the meeting I had a talk with the chief of police of Detroit,  told him i was the one who asked about open carry, and that i have been stopped by his people three or four times and i live on the south side of Detroit. And his officers handled themselves very professional. The Chief said thanks. Then i stopped the Chief of police of Dearborn. Stated the same thing to him. He said may i ask you a question, i said am i being detained? I laughed he did not just look at me hard like. Then i said yes he said what do i think about open carrying around children. I told him it should start at home, if a child sees me open carrying and says look that man has a gun. I feel the parent or parents should say oh he may be a leo, or he is a law abiding citizen, or he is what we have been hearing about called Open Carry. It's legal here in Michigan, mommie and daddy can do it also if they want. You should have seen his face. He said thanks and walked away.  Then i had a little talk with the State police and we talked about open carry and i thanked him for working with our people  here in open carry to make it easyer for law enforcement to understand what we a trying to do.

All these people that bring up kids all the time, it continues to amaze me as to why they think we should not carry to protect them. Yet they do not think that leo's should disarm around kids.

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 11:53:39 PM »
True that. Carry On.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline hamaneggs

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 02:51:15 AM »
Welcome fellow informed citizen.Knowing OC facts will give you comfort in your lawfull carry and you'll be able to answer your fellow citizens when they come up to you,and they will,and you will feel pride in educating them of their God Given rights(what I call the instinct to protect ones self and others).You may or may not be approached by a LEO,but remember ,the ones with an attitude will probably reject any info presented to them.The understanding ones,who are the best of the profession,may.God Bless and CARRY ON! Jeff. P.S. I print out several trifolds on my printer,fold em up and hand em out to anyone who questions me,sometimes I just give em away like handing out leaflets.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 02:55:07 AM by hamaneggs »
In GOD I TRUST! Luke 22:36 "and if You don't have a sword,sell Your cloak and buy one". Nehemiah 4:17 "Those who carried materials did their work with one hand and held a weapon in the other,and each of the builders wore his sword at His side as He worked."  I AGREE! AMEN!