Author Topic: Saint Joseph Mercy Hospital Ann Arbor  (Read 8267 times)

Offline emt805

Saint Joseph Mercy Hospital Ann Arbor
« on: December 06, 2010, 04:07:07 AM »
I have been visiting a family member here the last few days. http://www.sjmercyhealth.org/home_annarbor.cfm?id=3244

On the doors there is a large sign that says "contraband prohibited" with a photo of a circle with a line such as the no symbol with a firearm a knife and another item inside the circle.
I have a photo but cannot figure out how to post it here.

If I understand this correctly legal carry would be allowed due to the wording on the sign and definition below?
I have not challenged this yet as I do not want it to get back to the family member and have them worked up about it.
Another note today there was 4 armed correction officers on the same floor today so if there is a need for them to carry why would there not be a need for me to carry? I understand the exception allowing them to carry no need to post that but just the thought process, if they have an immate down the hall and I cannot protect myself or family if something happens?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/contraband

contraband [ˈkɒntrəˌbænd]
n
1. (Law)
a.  goods that are prohibited by law from being exported or imported
b.  illegally imported or exported goods
2. (Law) illegal traffic in such goods; smuggling
3. (Military) Also called contraband of war International law goods that a neutral country may not supply to a belligerent
4. (Historical Terms) (during the American Civil War) a Black slave captured by the Union forces or one who escaped to the Union lines
adj
(Law) (of goods)
a.  forbidden by law from being imported or exported
b.  illegally imported or exported
[from Spanish contrabanda, from Italian contrabando (modern contrabbando), from Medieval Latin contrabannum, from contra- + bannum ban, of Germanic origin]
contrabandist  n
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

Offline scot623

• MOC Member
Re: Saint Joseph Mercy Hospital Ann Arbor
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 01:14:13 PM »
Do not confuse what is "Legal" and what is a private business' "Policy". Don't split hairs with their sign, I think we both know they are banning all firearms. Their use of the word contraband  and it's definition is immaterial. You can legally OC with a CPL at the hospital. Based on their sign, you will be told to leave. They may in fact call the police. I have found many hospital security officers think it is illegal to carry at a hospital(a common misconception, even amongst law enforcement).

Offline Master Control

• MOC Charter Member Augusta, MI.
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 05:52:38 AM »
Do we have a breakdown of the private vs. public hospitals in SE MI. ?
"Liberty's too precious a thing to be buried in books...Men should hold it up in front of them every single day of their lives and say: 'I'm free to think and to speak. My ancestors couldn't. I can. And my children will."
,,, So Mote Be

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 06:22:51 PM »
I would like to see that, also if someone can fine one.  I posted a while back about me going to and stopped at Ford Hosp. In Detroit thanks Carry on.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline NHCGRPR45

• Macomb Twp. MI
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 06:53:12 PM »
agreed With a CPL you could carry there, however you will probably be asked to leave. i have carried at St John Macomb on 3 diffrent occaisions. and only one of those i was asked to secure my firearm at the security desk in a lock box that i had the only key to. the other 2 times i was visiting my family member.

not all LE and private security have learned that with a CPL a person can carry in almost all the PFZ's, we as a group are working on that but this will take time.
But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such goverment, and to provide new gaurds for their future security. United States Constitution.

Offline Bronson

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 09:57:53 PM »
I found this page: http://www.mha.org/mha_app/public_site/about_us/hospitals.jsp  At the bottom is a PDF list of public hospitals in MI.  There are only 15 on the list.  I don't know if that is all of the public hospitals in the state or only the public hospitals that belong to that particular organization.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline Master Control

• MOC Charter Member Augusta, MI.
Re: There are only 15 on the list
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 02:36:19 AM »
I see what your saying,, I didnt notice any Metro Detroit Area Hospitals, think I'll do a follow-up later today.

thanks for the find and the heads up.

Carry On
"Liberty's too precious a thing to be buried in books...Men should hold it up in front of them every single day of their lives and say: 'I'm free to think and to speak. My ancestors couldn't. I can. And my children will."
,,, So Mote Be

Offline ken243

• MOC Member
  • Paramedic
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 04:51:50 AM »
Asking a leach ...errr... lawyer is probably your best bet here. But, another idea is simply ask a RN at the hospital in question. Ask if they are city or county employee's. If so, it is a public hospital run by the city/county. But again, get offical documentation on the matter first.
Common sense, isn't.
I can't fix stupid.

Offline hamaneggs

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 08:40:32 PM »
Call the info office at the hospital in question to find out if it's privately owned.If so,they can have a no firearm policy.I found that out at St Joseph Macomb Campus(Owned by Providence).Public v. Private is the dividing line.
In GOD I TRUST! Luke 22:36 "and if You don't have a sword,sell Your cloak and buy one". Nehemiah 4:17 "Those who carried materials did their work with one hand and held a weapon in the other,and each of the builders wore his sword at His side as He worked."  I AGREE! AMEN!