Author Topic: OC and CC in banks  (Read 6194 times)

Offline Tail2spin

• Doug
OC and CC in banks
« on: December 21, 2010, 08:59:07 AM »
I know you can carry in banks with a cpl but what about Federal Credit Unions?
Doug

Offline venator

• MOC Member
    • My Parents Open Carry book order
Re: OC and CC in banks
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 09:51:33 AM »
I know you can carry in banks with a cpl but what about Federal Credit Unions?

The law states Federal Reserve Banks..Only one in Michigan in Detroit.   All other banks are okay.  Keep in mind that they are private and can ban firearms.  You would not be violating any firearm laws, but could face a trespassing charge if you were asked to leave and didn't.
Family book on OPEN CARRY go to: http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/
Looking forward to having more smites than posts.  Thanks all.
The above are my opinions only.  Please seek an attorney concerning all questions of law.

Offline Tail2spin

• Doug
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 02:10:40 PM »
Credit unions are owned by the members/account holders would that make them public?
Doug

Offline JSteinmetz

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 03:35:28 PM »
The members 'own' the bank the same way stockholders 'own' the companies they have invested in. It is still a private organization. Think of it as a country club - anyone can enter, but they can ask you to leave at anytime.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Big Gay Al

• MOC Member
  • Rock Island Armory 1911A1 FS Tactical .45 ACP
    • Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
  • First Name (Displayed): Al
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 10:05:28 PM »
Nevermind. ;)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 10:07:00 PM by Big Gay Al »
Big Gay Al
Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 09:13:24 PM »
Credit unions are owned by the members/account holders would that make them public?

Management sets and enforces rules on behalf of the "members" (shareholders).  They enforce these rules on the general public, members or otherwise.  Don't like your credit union's firearm policy?  Express your concerns to the management (board of directors) and if they don't listen to you, don't vote for them next time.  Better yet, run against them.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline emt805

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 12:53:06 AM »
Oced at my credit union for the first time today, was only myself and one other person inside. No comments no concerns, spoke with two tellers during the time I was around but not firearms or oc related.

Offline hamaneggs

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, 08:40:37 PM »
A credit union member is part owner.
In GOD I TRUST! Luke 22:36 "and if You don't have a sword,sell Your cloak and buy one". Nehemiah 4:17 "Those who carried materials did their work with one hand and held a weapon in the other,and each of the builders wore his sword at His side as He worked."  I AGREE! AMEN!

Offline 72cinjin

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 11:10:39 PM »
I routinely carry in both bank and credit union, many different branches, sometimes CC and sometimes OC.  The odds are in favor that I'll be OCing in banking institutions, more often than CCing.  Most of the banking employees know me now, if only for the reason, "That's the one that's always got a gun."  They are all very kind, never "antsy", very amicable with me, never once questioning me.  Just thought I'd add this to mix.