Author Topic: Looking for a Serpa drop adapter...  (Read 7914 times)

Offline Bronson

Looking for a Serpa drop adapter...
« on: December 17, 2010, 01:25:37 AM »
I'm back to using the Serpa from the Safariland.  I wanted to carry something lighter than the full size 1911 + Safariland ALS holster....it's a hefty setup.  So I'm packing the compact 1911 in a Serpa.  I normally just CC since I don't really like to change how I carry but it really is a pain in the butt and I'd much rather be OC.

Anybody know a place for the Serpa drop adapter for a decent price?  My local shops don't have any in stock.

Thanks,

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline emt805

Re: Looking for a Serpa drop adapter...
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 02:18:21 AM »
Is this what you are looking for?

http://shopholsters.com/blackhawk-tactical-holster-platform.html

I came across it the other day and have considered ordering it but cannot find any reviews about it.

Offline Bronson

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 04:05:04 AM »
Nope.  I'm looking for the belt loop attachment like the one on this holster:

http://www.shopholsters.com/blackhawk-ledutygear-level2serpa-dutyholster.html

I just need the belt loop though since I already have the holster.  In my limited searches I haven't found the loop by itself for sale.  Admittedly I haven't really looked that hard  ;)

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline Evil Creamsicle

• Commie Rifle Fetishist
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 11:29:28 AM »
Well... you can get them directly from Blackhawk

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Jacket-Slot-Duty-Belt-Loop,839,82.htm

One thing I noticed [I bought one], well actually two things:

1: If you have a basic Serpa sportster or CQC holster, the screws that come with this item are too big for your Serpa. I used the screws from the drop leg platform [posted above by emt805], which are longer than standard CQC or Sportster screws. Basically, you may need to buy some screws.

2: The thing grips really tight... unless you have a dedicated gunbelt, you may end up having to loosen or completely unscrew the belt loops in order to put the holster on and off your belt.
Once armed, a free man can never be disarmed. Only defeated.

Offline emt805

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 12:01:15 PM »
I used the screws from the drop leg platform [posted above by emt805]

Do you have any complaints or found any faults with the platform? Is there alot of adjustment in the straps? Most drop legs that I have found by others are only made for those with small legs.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 12:40:25 PM »
Optics Planet is where I got mine.
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline Evil Creamsicle

• Commie Rifle Fetishist
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 02:27:34 PM »
I used the screws from the drop leg platform [posted above by emt805]

Do you have any complaints or found any faults with the platform? Is there alot of adjustment in the straps? Most drop legs that I have found by others are only made for those with small legs.

I like it a lot, but it works better for my girlfriend...

I don't have small legs... I am 6'3" 270ish... but I have found this:

If you have straight legs  --     | |     --   the thing sits nicely and is comfortable.

If your legs have more of a V shape -- \   /  --  I've found that because my thigh is wider near the top than near my knee, that when I use the drop leg platform my gun is pointed right at the side of my knee.

Maybe I didn't adjust it right? I dunno... but it is unnerving.
Once armed, a free man can never be disarmed. Only defeated.

Offline Bronson

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 02:33:20 AM »
Optics Planet is where I got mine.

I did a search at Optics Planet but it didn't come up with anything.  Maybe I'll try again.

ETA: Found it.  It's amazing what can happen if you type in the correct search terms.  "Jacket Slot Duty Belt Loop"??  Really?  I would have never thought to call it a Jacket Slot Duty Belt Loop.

Bronson
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 02:36:52 AM by Bronson »

Offline Bronson

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2010, 01:40:29 AM »
2: The thing grips really tight... unless you have a dedicated gunbelt, you may end up having to loosen or completely unscrew the belt loops in order to put the holster on and off your belt.

I whiffed right over this part of your post.  I wish I would have remembered it.  My Serpa drop attachment came today and I attempted to put it on my belt.  It's a no-go.  I have a double thickness leather gun belt and there is no way, without considerably modifying the drop adapter that this thing is going to go on my belt.

After Christmas stuff I'll probably be selling it.  It would probably work well with a web belt like the Wilderness Tactical Instructor's Belt but not with thick leather belt.

Bronson