Author Topic: cpl ???  (Read 6784 times)

Offline bobbio

• First Name (Displayed): bobbio
cpl ???
« on: February 05, 2012, 12:04:41 AM »
I read all requirements to get CPL. They said 3 yrs from last charges or incident with conviction  if any is that true even a  possession charge of pot  Was or is the clear limit 3 yrs from conviction (no felony)... ... For the opportunity to apply for cpl?????

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Re: cpl ???
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 12:32:35 AM »
Wow -- your post is very hard to read.  It contains no/little punctuation and it seems garbled.  Can you try again please?

You speak of a conviction.  Can you tell us exactly what MCL you were convicted of?  That would help in answering your questions.  The MCL would be on the court paperwork/arraignment sheet.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 12:37:45 AM by TheQ »
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline bobbio

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 12:49:00 AM »
Sorry.  Trying to figure out.  This page.    But I was convicted poss. Of Mary Jane  a few years back. And was curious if a few 3 years was enough  space between my conviction to get CPL  I read some things said 3 years was window needed.  But looking for input before applying. Cause the cost .. I have purchased multiple pistols since then???

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 12:56:55 AM »
Here are the requirements to get a CPL.  Please look through them and let us know if you have any specific questions about that list.

Offline bobbio

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 01:03:02 AM »
So this says 8 years for controlled or analogue substance. Is pot in that category???
I read info said 3 years from a possession your ok.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
cpl ???
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 01:20:59 AM »
Well that's why I asked you what the exact charge was. The MCL will be listed on your court papers or you can run a background check on yourself using iCHAT.

http://apps.michigan.gov/ichat/home.aspx

Once you can post what MCL you were convicted of violating we can give you a more specific answer.

Offline bobbio

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 05:32:13 AM »
Oh ok thank you

Offline wardog6t

• Go Army, Beat Navy!
    • http://michiganopencarry.org
  • First Name (Displayed): john
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 11:21:45 AM »
Any drug related charge is a problem regardless of how long ago it occurred. Even if it was under the age of 18 and sealed. A friend of mine had been charged with possession some 30 years ago and he was under the age of 18. The case was supposed to be sealed,remitted or something to that effect. But when he went to gain his purchaser's permit for a firearm was denied. After weeks of phone calls to the Michigan State Police and several visit's to his local judge he did finally get it remedied. This is an instance where regardless of what the Law reads, LEO's and Elected officials can make it difficult to say the least. Mind you it was a marijuana charge which the amount was a misdemeanor.
"Any day you don't hear a "POP" and "WHIZ" is a Wonderful day....."

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
cpl ???
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 08:00:23 PM »
It depends on the county gun board how much of a problem you are going to get.

After the prescribed disqualification period is over you SHOULD be good to go. Depending in what county you're in, they may give you trouble -- even though it'd be illegal for them to deny you. 

Offline venator

• MOC Member
    • My Parents Open Carry book order
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 09:33:47 PM »
Any drug related charge is a problem regardless of how long ago it occurred. Even if it was under the age of 18 and sealed. A friend of mine had been charged with possession some 30 years ago and he was under the age of 18. The case was supposed to be sealed,remitted or something to that effect. But when he went to gain his purchaser's permit for a firearm was denied. After weeks of phone calls to the Michigan State Police and several visit's to his local judge he did finally get it remedied. This is an instance where regardless of what the Law reads, LEO's and Elected officials can make it difficult to say the least. Mind you it was a marijuana charge which the amount was a misdemeanor.

PP are different than a CPL.  They can pretty much deny a PP for any reason.  A CPL has a defined set of requirements that if meet is hard to refuse.  A few people have stated they were turned down for a PP, but then got a CPL without a problem and could then buy pistols with the CPL.
Family book on OPEN CARRY go to: http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/
Looking forward to having more smites than posts.  Thanks all.
The above are my opinions only.  Please seek an attorney concerning all questions of law.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 09:57:51 PM »
In either case if you are turned down (PP or CPL) or unreasonably delayed, you can sue the issuing authority in the Circuit Court of jurisdiction and request a Writ of Mandamus.  Be prepared to shell out $$, even if you fight the case propria persona there are filing fees and such.  If you are successful in your suit you may be able to recover attorney fees and/or other costs.