Author Topic: I Am Not a "Sheepdog"  (Read 7422 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
I Am Not a "Sheepdog"
« on: August 21, 2012, 06:19:12 PM »

Offline bagz013

Re: I Am Not a "Sheepdog"
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 06:25:11 PM »
Good video!

Nice to hear someone articulate their point without having to stop and say "Uhhhmmmm" every couple of sentences.

Thanks for sharing!
Si vis pacem, para bellum
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it- Aristotle
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self- Ernest Hemingway

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 08:45:32 PM »
Of course, no one in their right mind would go racing into a situation without a working understanding of the situation; that's just crazy.

But in the next breath, he indicates that he WOULD get involved if he witnessed the event.

I see the bottom line as, if you didn't witness it, you're too late to intervene.

So, in a way, he is a sheepdog, keeping watch over his flock. He just doesn't have a full understanding of the concept.

Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 08:56:48 PM »
I think his position is that he is not a sheepdog in the same sense that LEOs are.  He will try to avoid the situation if he can, whereas a LEO should not.  He will have no backup like a traditional sheepdog has and can (usually) depend on.  He doesn't have the training a sheepdog has, nor does he pretend to.  His legal consequences are different.  He has not been charged with the safety of others, whereas a traditional sheepdog, i.e., LEO, has.    He's not a wanna-be cop, just a man who has taken responsibility for his own safety, and by extension, in some cases, MAYBE that of others.

He has a written version of the video stated slightly differently.

http://vuurwapenblog.com/2011/12/13/i-am-not-a-sheepdog/

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 01:00:18 PM »
The Dangers of Intervention, written by a former Detroit LEO.

http://www.stoppingpower.net/commentary/comm_dangers_in_intervention.asp

Offline Scotchman

• Luke 22:36
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 10:57:02 AM »
I agree, He is a sheepdog who just does not know it, or understand.

One does not choose to be an shepherd. One is born that way. Some people try and choose to be a pastor or missionary and their results are dismal. the real ones are born with the thinking needed and can not help it.

Just as real dogs have no say in their breed and behavior - we have the same.

An SD does not choose to fight, but would rather avoid it if possible.

But WILL intervene if no other solution is available.

This response may even surprise the SD who had no idea it was a part of him.

Take the passive guy who suddenly finds himself witness to a violent action against another... He suddenly finds himself labeled the savior and hero in the newspapers while he keeps repeating, "I just did what was right!"

That's a Sheep Dog. he is not a pretender or wannabe. It is just his Nature whether he realizes it  or not.

"Heroes" tend to be Shepherds or Sheepdogs who just have not realized it before then.

But he is right in that our responsibility is not to protect the populace or fight crime. We are not Policemen.

We ARE responsible to protect ourselves or those under our charge.

That is still a Sheepdog!

An SD protects HIS FLOCK, not necessarily another's!

Good Video, thanks Gryphon.

Luke 22:36 * [Jesus said] ... and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

We all hear John 3:16 or Matthew 7:1 - by people who never read the rest of those chapters either.

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 12:32:26 PM »
I agree, He is a sheepdog who just does not know it, or understand.

One does not choose to be an shepherd. One is born that way. Some people try and choose to be a pastor or missionary and their results are dismal. the real ones are born with the thinking needed and can not help it.

Just as real dogs have no say in their breed and behavior - we have the same.

An SD does not choose to fight, but would rather avoid it if possible.

But WILL intervene if no other solution is available.

This response may even surprise the SD who had no idea it was a part of him.

Take the passive guy who suddenly finds himself witness to a violent action against another... He suddenly finds himself labeled the savior and hero in the newspapers while he keeps repeating, "I just did what was right!"

That's a Sheep Dog. he is not a pretender or wannabe. It is just his Nature whether he realizes it  or not.

"Heroes" tend to be Shepherds or Sheepdogs who just have not realized it before then.

But he is right in that our responsibility is not to protect the populace or fight crime. We are not Policemen.

We ARE responsible to protect ourselves or those under our charge.

That is still a Sheepdog!

An SD protects HIS FLOCK, not necessarily another's!

Good Video, thanks Gryphon.

You hit it on the head!
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.