Author Topic: Stop and Identify Local Ordinance  (Read 4612 times)

Offline GQ

Stop and Identify Local Ordinance
« on: October 16, 2014, 07:07:37 PM »
Not specifically for OC, but OC could be included.
Just discovered that Warren and Detroit (and I'm sure other municipalities) have ordinances on the books that define it as a misdemeanor if one refuses to identify oneself to a Leo when stopped (to keep it simple, assume individual is NOT operating a motor vehicle, just walking around in a public park). We all know Michigan does not have stop and identify laws. Do local ordinances have teeth in that regard? Let your inner lawyer out!

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
Re: Stop and Identify Local Ordinance
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 06:40:33 PM »
You have the right to remain silent and not to answer any questions without an attorney present.

However, if you are arrested without identifying yourself, you are not eligible for interim bond.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline SteveS

• AmmoDump
  • First Name (Displayed): Steve
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 11:07:57 PM »
Do you have a link?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 01:32:44 AM »
GQ, SteveS is an attorney.  Any assistance you could provide would be helpful.

Offline GQ

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 11:41:41 AM »
Ok, here we go:

Detroit: 39-1-52.3: yes, a case went to Supreme Court, arrest ruled not valid. However, not sure if ordinance still on the books.

Warren: 80-724 sec 22-110 part 7: yes, this is recently amended, still on the books. It's a tie in with the all encompassing Disorderly charge. Now that I read it more, the identify part was actually recently ADDED.

Wish I was at the city council meeting.

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 04:27:32 PM »
Warren:http://www.cityofwarren.org/images/stories/ordinances/80-724.pdf Harder to find, not in Municode yet.

Detroit:
Code: [Select]
https://www.municode.com/library/mi/detroit/codes/code_of_ordinances?searchRequest={%22searchText%22:%22\%2239-1-52.3\%22%22,%22pageNum%22:1,%22resultsPerPage%22:25,%22booleanSearch%22:false,%22stemming%22:true,%22fuzzy%22:false,%22synonym%22:false,%22contentTypes%22:[%22CODES%22],%22productIds%22:[]}&nodeId=PTIIICICO_CH43PO_ARTIINGE_S43-1-1AUPOOFSTQUSESUPE%22 Has case law reference.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 08:25:09 PM »
So Detroit's Failure to ID in 39-1-52.3 was struck down and removed.  Warren's "must ID" 80-724 is if a cop has RAS of a crime or pending crime.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 01:31:42 PM »
So Detroit's Failure to ID in 39-1-52.3 was struck down and removed.  Warren's "must ID" 80-724 is if a cop has RAS of a crime or pending crime.

If I'm being investigated for a crime, that's when I will need to be even more adamant about not wanting to answer any questions without an attorney present.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline SteveS

• AmmoDump
  • First Name (Displayed): Steve
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 02:48:39 PM »

It should be void for the same reason as the Detroit ordinance.

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 06:54:55 PM »
If I'm being investigated for a crime, that's when I will need to be even more adamant about not wanting to answer any questions without an attorney present.

I'm not inclined to answer questions even with an attorney present.  The 5th amendment gives me the right to both counsel and not be a witness against myself.  Police interrogations are used at trial.  Exercise your rights early and often.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 06:56:56 PM »
I'm not inclined to answer questions even with an attorney present.  The 5th amendment gives me the right to both counsel and not be a witness against myself.  Police interrogations are used at trial.  Exercise your rights early and often.
I am quite certain my attorney would tell me to STFU.

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 08:40:01 PM »
6th Amendment for counsel
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide