Author Topic: Karma is back??  (Read 17887 times)

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
Karma is back??
« on: July 28, 2015, 11:57:12 AM »
I couldn't help but notice the Karma feature is back. Is this on purpose?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: Karma is back??
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 01:58:16 PM »
Don't know, but if I find out who re-enabled it I'm going to give them bad Karma.

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 02:45:46 PM »
Dan I will cheer you just for the news articles you post. Ah heck, I'll cheer you again just because you still use the forums!

Offline TeMpTiN

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Dory
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 09:59:01 PM »
Interesting,

:|>

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 10:15:36 PM »
It's a way for people to like things without having to post or to show agreement

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 11:31:44 PM »
I just destroyed Pat's perfect balance for the Unemployment Office story.

EDIT 7:00AM : Now he's 143/143, somebody Jeered him already.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 07:03:15 AM by CitizensHaveRights »
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 01:14:06 AM »
ROFL

Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 11:58:45 AM »
I just destroyed Pat's perfect balance for the Unemployment Office story.

EDIT 7:00AM : Now he's 143/143, somebody Jeered him already.

huh?

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 12:09:24 PM »
CV67PAT had 142 cheers and 142 jeers when karma came back.
In searching for forum topics about Karma to see why it went away in the first place, I stumbled across his Unemployment Office post:
https://forums.miopencarry.org/index.php/topic,1910.0/all.html

So I cheered that post, raising him to +143/-142 and upsetting the balance.

By 7am, somebody had jeered him to restore the balance at +143/-143.
Must be one of those sock puppets, eh, Pat? (LOL)
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 12:11:01 PM »
I just destroyed Pat's perfect balance

He's the reason I have -77.  He didn't much like me I don't think.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 12:13:20 PM »
It's a way for people to like things without having to post or to show agreement

Except it doesn't work that way.  There's no way to know that the "cheer" is attached to any particular post or even a thread.  It's an overall "I like you, you said something good one time in the last six years" or "You're an a-hole."

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 12:57:06 PM »
At Arboristsite, which uses a different forum software package, they disabled 'dislikes' a couple of years ago, but underneath each post it names the users who liked it.

Like this:

robfromaz1977, stillhunter, Stihlasaurus and 3 other persons like this.

Offline mikestilly

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 01:06:54 PM »
I found the following remarks interesting:  "Just like my rights to lawfully use property I lease isn't affected by the property owner's edicts, the State's right to establish or maintain it's own laws doesn't change when it leases property." ~Pat

Unfortunately you are bound to the lease agreement and rules of the owner of the property.  When you lease a property everyone is bound by the same rules that is set by the property owner.  If you lease property and the property owner chooses to ban firearms from the premise you have 2 options 1.) lease and follow the rules or risk breaching the lease agreement or 2. Find a firearm friendly place to lease property.    The same can be said about any private property as private property rights prevail. 

With that said as it comes to the unemployment office its run by the Unemployment Insurance Agency (UIA) operates Michigan’s unemployment insurance programs which a government entity and is subject to preemption.  I'm curious as to what happened as the final  result or was it just them blowing smoke.  It looked like blowing smoke. 

I posted this here to avoid bringing the old post up from the dead, as I couldnt reply back then. 

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 02:21:05 PM »

I found the following remarks interesting:  "Just like my rights to lawfully use property I lease isn't affected by the property owner's edicts, the State's right to establish or maintain it's own laws doesn't change when it leases property." ~Pat

Unfortunately you are bound to the lease agreement and rules of the owner of the property.  When you lease a property everyone is bound by the same rules that is set by the property owner.  If you lease property and the property owner chooses to ban firearms from the premise you have 2 options 1.) lease and follow the rules or risk breaching the lease agreement or 2. Find a firearm friendly place to lease property.    The same can be said about any private property as private property rights prevail. 

With that said as it comes to the unemployment office its run by the Unemployment Insurance Agency (UIA) operates Michigan’s unemployment insurance programs which a government entity and is subject to preemption.  I'm curious as to what happened as the final  result or was it just them blowing smoke.  It looked like blowing smoke. 

I posted this here to avoid bringing the old post up from the dead, as I couldnt reply back then.

I agree with everything you said -- except, State Agencies aren't governed by preemption (at least not 123.1102) as they are not LUoG.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline mikestilly

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 04:32:22 PM »
I agree with everything you said -- except, State Agencies aren't governed by preemption (at least not 123.1102) as they are not LUoG.

Thank's for the info Q I wasn't aware of that.  Which really put's Pat's complete post into question as they can ban whatever they want if they're not bound by preemption. 

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 06:05:58 PM »
Thank's for the info Q I wasn't aware of that.  Which really put's Pat's complete post into question as they can ban whatever they want if they're not bound by preemption.

They would have to be granted the authority by statute and then implement a rule / regulation.  If a bureaucrat wants to prohibit firearms, they find a statute that supports it (or can be construed to support) and creates a rule.

Preemption isn't needed where power isn't granted.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2015, 12:01:37 AM »

It's a way for people to abuse the forum.  Ask NorthOfNowhere or TheQ why they implemented a 6 hour wait between abusing the system, er, clicking on a karma link.  Because it was being abused.

It should be disabled.  (Besides, an actual good karma system only allows + votes.  See INGO for how it should be done if you want it).

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2015, 09:01:26 PM »

It's a way for people to abuse the forum.  Ask NorthOfNowhere or TheQ why they implemented a 6 hour wait between abusing the system, er, clicking on a karma link.  Because it was being abused.

It should be disabled.  (Besides, an actual good karma system only allows + votes.  See INGO for how it should be done if you want it).

I think this one can be configured positive only.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2015, 12:28:32 AM »
Derrr...

I tweaked things. Now it just shows the additive.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2015, 12:22:11 AM »
I tweaked things. Now it just shows the additive.

I'll keep "jeering" you until you realize your mistake.  Also, you deleted my 44+ karma points.  So which is it?