Author Topic: Confronted in Plainwell Coin and Laundry  (Read 6066 times)

Offline Lonewolf0714

Confronted in Plainwell Coin and Laundry
« on: January 26, 2011, 01:48:05 PM »
I was just confronted by the attendant at Plainwell Coin and Laundry for the open carry of my pistol. I went in and while washing my clothes I decided to wash my coat. After washing my clothes I then put them into the dryer and was immediately confronted by the attendant. She says, do you have a CPL? I say yes. She then says that I must then cover my pistol. I know it is privately owned and they can do this but if a place of business allows concealed carry but they do not allow open carry, then why is this not a violation of my constitutional rights? For example. yes I can carry inside if I conceal but the ability to conceal is given by the state and not the constitution. If I open carry it is justified as my constitutional right because no permit is required. There for, did they only allow a state right and not my constitutional right.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
Re: Confronted in Plainwell Coin and Laundry
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 01:58:14 PM »
OK here is the thing.. I would have asked her why I needed to conceal? Was it BC she was un comfortable or did the faciluty have a policy against OC. Or is it simply that she does not know one can OC with a CPL?

I know it is nerve wracking when this happens BUT stay calm annd try to asertain what is motivating the person and try and educate them!
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 01:58:28 PM »
Did you nicely ask her why "you must conceal"? Some people think if you have a CPL that you must conceal which is not true.
If she was going the route of "it will scare the other customers", there isn't much you can do because her property right trump your right to open carry. They have the right to refuse service to anybody.

I would ask the owner/manager if they are aware of the laws and if they still say no OC, then I would wash my clothes elsewhere.

Offline Lonewolf0714

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 03:18:20 PM »
I had to ask her if it was the policy of management to find out if this was the case and she said yes, it was. I decided to go out to my vehicle and leave my firearm there. I sat there until my clothes were half dry and then I retrieved them. I wont go there anymore. I think from here on out I will only go to places that allow my Constitutional right to carry, this includes openly if I choose to do so. Hey! what a surprise. The owner of the laundry mat just returned my call and said their is no policy against open carry and he will discuss this issue with his attendants and tell them to relax a little. This means that she lied because she had said that she spoke to the owner and he said it was not allowed.

Offline Bronson

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 06:47:26 PM »
if a place of business allows concealed carry but they do not allow open carry, then why is this not a violation of my constitutional rights?

Because the Constitution provides protection from the government infringing on your rights, not another person/private business.  Unless, of course, they are discriminating against you for being part of one of the recognized "protected classes" of people.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 10:51:57 PM »
I had to ask her if it was the policy of management to find out if this was the case and she said yes, it was. I decided to go out to my vehicle and leave my firearm there. I sat there until my clothes were half dry and then I retrieved them. I wont go there anymore. I think from here on out I will only go to places that allow my Constitutional right to carry, this includes openly if I choose to do so. Hey! what a surprise. The owner of the laundry mat just returned my call and said their is no policy against open carry and he will discuss this issue with his attendants and tell them to relax a little. This means that she lied because she had said that she spoke to the owner and he said it was not allowed.

Good problem solved. That is why I suggested to go speak with the manager/owner about their policy before changing where you spend money.