Author Topic: OC in a Movie Theatre  (Read 7383 times)

Offline darkmanx

• First Name (Displayed): Dan Zc
OC in a Movie Theatre
« on: July 14, 2011, 10:37:10 PM »
Has anyone had any experiences OC'ing, good or bad, in movie theaters? Law prohibits CC in theaters with a capacity of 2500 or more. It states "facility" so I can only assume that means the entire building, not just the screen you're in. I have OC'd in Emagine Rochester and didn't have a problem. I'm looking to see if anyone has had any luck with AMC Forum 30 in Sterling Heights. I saw them on a list of OC Unfriendly businesses but so was Emagine. 
I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop.

Offline jeffsayers

• MOC Charter Member
  • Do you really want to go there with me?
Re: OC in a Movie Theatre
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 12:04:19 PM »
I feel like a schmuck, but my last trip to a theatre was on my wedding anniversary at Partridge Creek. Because of the facts that you can't conceal if there is a problem, and the occassion we were celebrating, I chose to go in armed only with my senses. It would be cool if we could develop an understanding with a business so nobody has to make this decision again.
United we STAND!
I open carry for the same reason God gave poisonous animals bright colors.

Offline Bronson

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 02:31:52 AM »
I OC at my local theater all the time.  Never a problem.  It isn't one of the ones you were asking about though.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline darkmanx

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 12:11:16 PM »
Partridge Creek MJR has less than 2500 total seating capacity as far as I know. It's a pretty small theater.

Offline jeffsayers

• MOC Charter Member
  • Do you really want to go there with me?
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 04:23:14 PM »
Partridge Creek MJR has less than 2500 total seating capacity as far as I know. It's a pretty small theater.

:) :) :) :) Thank you, I had asumed otherwise. I guess the saying is true! (On my part at least!)
United we STAND!
I open carry for the same reason God gave poisonous animals bright colors.

Offline Greyh Seer

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 09:21:43 PM »
Does anyone know if celebration cinema in Lansing has issues with OC?
----------------------------------------
-Greyh

Offline kryptonian

• First Name (Displayed): dave
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 11:34:57 PM »
i know i've asked this question before and don't think i got a concise answer but if OC gets around the CC ban at a theater with a CPL doesn't it then qualify as CC when you sit in your seat? the same as sitting in your car seat? LEO could make that case couldn't they??
i don't fear the barking dog...i'm scared of the quiet dog

Offline Bronson

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 03:30:00 AM »
i know i've asked this question before and don't think i got a concise answer but if OC gets around the CC ban at a theater with a CPL doesn't it then qualify as CC when you sit in your seat? the same as sitting in your car seat? LEO could make that case couldn't they??

Is it concealed when you're sitting in a booth in a restaurant?  How about if it's dark outside?  Or maybe if your strongside is turned away from the officer?

It's not "concealed" once you sit in your car.  It's just that vehicle carry is illegal unless you have a CPL.  The legislature could have just as easily said you may not have a loaded pistol in your car unless you have a hunting license....that wouldn't mean you were hunting.  There is no mention in any law I've seen that you must have a CPL in order to sit in a chair while carrying.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline darkmanx

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 03:38:18 PM »
Just confirmed MJR Partridge Creek is 2200 seating capacity.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 03:48:37 PM »
Look for the fire marshal seating capacity signs. They are required by law. If not posted you may not necessarily have a reason to believe that there is a seating capacity in excess of 2500.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update