Author Topic: Questions about CADL Case Status and legal fund  (Read 19977 times)

Offline emt805

Questions about CADL Case Status and legal fund
« on: December 01, 2011, 10:43:09 PM »
What is the status of this case?  Last I heard it was waiting for the panel of three for judgment?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 08:04:42 AM by TheQ »

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Re: Questions about CADL Case Status and legal fund
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 11:02:37 PM »
That's about it. Movement not expected until at least February, 2012. If you'd like to discuss the case in more detail, please start a new thread or find one of the old ones.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 11:04:54 PM by TheQ »
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline emt805

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 07:19:33 AM »
No that's alright I'll stay here as it relates to this thread, was just curious why all the sudden a fundraiser for this case that will be tied up here rather than a general fund that could be voted by the board to be used on any cases that come up? I understand a proactive approach but why not build a general fund that can be moved to this?

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 07:45:36 AM »
...I even said "please" in my prior post ;)

I'll let other board members answer your question as well.  Here are my thoughts: MOC would like to have a standing legal fund specifically for the use of the organization to battle legal questions as they come up.  This fund isn't a 1983 case fund as MOC as currently organized cannot have a fund that is setup to benefit individual members.

We still have bills to pay in concerns to CADL.  We'd hope CADL would be our last need for a lawyer, but we'd like to be prepared in case it is not.  The Board of Directors will also direct how the legal funds are to be used.

Offline emt805

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 01:33:51 AM »
WOW.....Still that is why I am not a paying member here.

You did not answer my question at all. I did not ask about an individual member or non member fund. I stated a general fund that can be used for future cases similar to this one that the funds can be voted to cover said costs and "bills".

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 04:33:06 PM »

You did not answer my question at all. I did not ask about an individual member or non member fund. I stated a general fund that can be used for future cases similar to this one that the funds can be voted to cover said costs and "bills".

I'm Sorry, emt.  hamaneggs stepped in with another matter related to a separate legal fund.  That topic (an internal matter) has been moved to the Member's Lounge.  I gave you my opinion in a prior post.  Other members of the leadership team are welcome to chime in with their thoughts.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 06:07:02 PM »

A fund that could be used by the organization to pay for a legal team for the purpose of seeking legal action for the benefit of the members as a whole IMOP would be legal. However INAL

NOTE this is different than a fund that would be used to benefit an individual as non profits from my research can take legal action when said action would benefit the entire organization or the population as a whole.

As for the issue that was moved to the members section that is an internal matter and should have stayed internal at this point.
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline northofnowhere

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 08:13:01 AM »
emt805,

It is my understanding we still owe for our current legal battle, it has not been paid for, hence the fundraiser to pay already due debt.  After that debt is taken care of, more time will be taken to look into fundraising for that type of a fund.  It is my understanding that most of the Board and leadership team all want to have some type of a fund such as that, but that they still need to finish researching the BEST way to set that fund up legally.  There really is no need to start a fundraiser for future legal bills until the current ones are taken care of, as least that is my personal take on the matter.

Phil answered the question emt805, really no need to jump on him, all you ahd to do was ask for clarification, and not scream at him and discuss why you aren't a member.  I am a member because I believe we are on the right track.  You can feel free to continue not to become a member, that is fine, there are PLENTY fo ways to help our common goals in the area of the Second Amendment, it really is no big deal that you choose not to be.

-jason r.
Jason E. Reese aka northofnowher

Offline onnie0047@gmail.com

• MOC Leadership
    • Randys Old Time Radio Shows
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 01:00:40 PM »
No that's alright I'll stay here as it relates to this thread, was just curious why all the sudden a fundraiser for this case that will be tied up here rather than a general fund that could be voted by the board to be used on any cases that come up? I understand a proactive approach but why not build a general fund that can be moved to this?
You apparently are not aware what CADL vs MOC means.......it means that CADL sued Michigan Open Carry directly.  We had to answer the complaint, we had no choice in the matter.   

There was more at issue here than just carrying a legal handgun into a library as was set forth in motion by CADL when they challenged the courts into defining that "Open Carrying" was in fact brandishing.

If we did not answer the complaint and allowed CADL to go before the judge without our lawyers, we may today have an order banning us from OPEN CARRYING. 

I’m not sure why you thought MOC got involved in this, but understand we were dragged into this and it outcome directly affects YOU, me and every one of the 344,000 CPL holders in this state.

You don’t want to join MOC, fine, you and everybody who carries in Michigan has benefited by the efforts of MOC since they started in 2009.  Without MOC there would have been more Ham and Eggs issues, T-Mack issues, Ponderosa issues and others that happened well before I came along.

Last year at the Detroit Ho-Down Open Carriers and CC carries as well would have been at the least ticket and possibly thrown in jail for exercising their rights if the DPD knew that they were carrying a weapon on public land.  Thanks to MOC efforts we were welcomed with ZERO issues.  Public areas of Royal Oak and Taylor would still be PFZ Zones

Seems to me you are willing to take advantage of what MOC has done over the last 3 years but unwilling to do anything but let us know that you wont join or support MOC. 

I became a member because I believe in open carrying.  MOC was the group leading the way, in fact they were the only group.  Did I believe in everything MOC was doing and how they were doing it, nope and that is why I ran for the Board of Directors.

If you are unhappy about the way MOC is handling things, get involved. That way you can actually SEE the process and become a part of it.
I am not a Cop, nor a Lawyer, not even a Medical Doctor, but I did once play a Klingon at Universal Studios!

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 06:15:30 PM »
...I guess when MGO's website is down and trolling in the OC section there isn't an option, some people are so desperate to troll they sign up for and make their first post to a whole different organization's Forum.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2011, 01:58:37 AM »
You apparently are not aware what CADL vs MOC means.......it means that CADL sued Michigan Open Carry directly.  We had to answer the complaint, we had no choice in the matter.   

There was more at issue here than just carrying a legal handgun into a library as was set forth in motion by CADL when they challenged the courts into defining that "Open Carrying" was in fact brandishing.

umm.... the CADL issue, as I know it, revolves around the jack-napkin that walked in with a shotgun, and the follow-up with a couple more spooge sponges who pushed the envelope.  Am I wrong?

Doesn't matter if you're right or wrong. I am the resident troll here and your lack of trolling experience and ability is sadly lacking and it shows. Go practice a little more on some other site before trying to invade my trolling turf, poser.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline emt805

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2011, 12:43:07 PM »

I am quite aware what cadl vs moc and follow it, I have donated money to the fund and attending lansing hearing on this event and other cities such as huntington woods council meetings.

It seems recently a lot of people walk around here with big heads walking on others.

Offline METL

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 02:46:44 PM »
...I guess when MGO's website is down and trolling in the OC section there isn't an option, some people are so desperate to troll they sign up for and make their first post to a whole different organization's Forum.

Ahhh....   one and done...   LoL!!!          I don't know if it was brave or incredibly stupid to come in with the Buzzcat (tm) name...   :D

Offline DetroitBiker

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 07:20:21 PM »
What happened to Buzzcat's Post?  I see he made one by other people's Quotes

Was his Removed?

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, 08:48:36 PM »

Was his Removed?

Buzzpussy tried to troll with the troll and got shoved under the bridge. Ha Ha Ha

Actually he made some absurd comments about MOC that got deleted. Then his retort got deleted. Then he got deleted. ROFLMAO!!!

I have to admit though, things are pretty boring without MGO to play around with.

No overpriced guns to look at or fudds to mess with.

And this forum is lame without brainless1911 and lil_stupid_66. But it's starting to get some fresh meat.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2011, 10:08:10 PM »

Was his Removed?

Buzzpussy tried to troll with the troll and got shoved under the bridge. Ha Ha Ha

Actually he made some absurd comments about MOC that got deleted. Then his retort got deleted. Then he got deleted. ROFLMAO!!!

I have to admit though, things are pretty boring without MGO to play around with.

No overpriced guns to look at or fudds to mess with.

And this forum is lame without brainless1911 and lil_stupid_66. But it's starting to get some fresh meat.

Ah, that's what happened. After the reference to Buzzcat, I went looking......

Hate to see a good troll go hungry! ;D
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2011, 10:22:29 PM »
I can show him how to get right back in if he'd like. He'd have to come up with a new username. That's why i mentioned buzzpussy. Fits better too.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2011, 11:35:19 PM »

We could let those two back in and limit them to a special sub-forum for the three of you and anyone else who wants to watch :)

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2011, 11:36:53 PM »
That's why i mentioned buzzpussy. Fits better too.

Is that a new "toy"?

Offline onnie0047@gmail.com

• MOC Leadership
    • Randys Old Time Radio Shows
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2011, 01:09:52 AM »

I am quite aware what cadl vs moc and follow it, I have donated money to the fund and attending lansing hearing on this event and other cities such as huntington woods council meetings.

It seems recently a lot of people walk around here with big heads walking on others.
This makes no sense to me!
I am not a Cop, nor a Lawyer, not even a Medical Doctor, but I did once play a Klingon at Universal Studios!

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2011, 01:14:54 AM »

This makes no sense to me!

Me neither. But if I had said so I'd have gotten reported.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2011, 01:32:52 AM »

Your concurrence may get you reported -- as sure as the unloaded glock in my pistol safe is about to discharge by itself.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2011, 02:05:53 AM »

Your concurrence may get you reported -- as sure as the unloaded glock in my pistol safe is about to discharge by itself.

I keep mine disassembled. No sense in taking any chances. I can reassemble it and chamber a round pretty quick if I need to. I practice it with snap caps. I don't like even having real ammo in the same room with it. The ammo might even go off by itself if it gets too close to a Glock.

Offline Shadow Bear

• MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2011, 12:19:50 PM »

I keep mine disassembled. No sense in taking any chances. I can reassemble it and chamber a round pretty quick if I need to. I practice it with snap caps. I don't like even having real ammo in the same room with it. The ammo might even go off by itself if it gets too close to a Glock.

I load my mags with foam rubber bullets, no powder and no primer. You ought to wrap the Glock in foam rubber, too, in case it falls on someone's toes.....

An empty magazine is just begging for trouble. One of those nasty-wasty HPs might crawl in when you're not looking.

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2011, 01:28:11 PM »
You may even want to carry condition "butterscotch" just to be sure...

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2011, 02:54:46 PM »
Carry!? Why would you ever carry even a disassembled Glock?! That's more dangerous than having it disassembled in your safe!

Offline yance

• MOC Member
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2011, 04:47:28 PM »
youre right...individual safes for the different individual parts is the safest option so they cant get back out without you knowing.

Offline Bronson

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2011, 12:23:52 PM »

We could let those two back in and limit them to a special sub-forum for the three of you and anyone else who wants to watch :)

Sell tickets and you've got one hell of a fund raiser  ;D

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2011, 12:40:41 PM »
We could call the fundraising campaign "feed the troll".

Offline LD

• Legal Musings
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2011, 03:47:48 PM »
Need to get back on MGO if you want to feed trolls.

Offline scot623

• MOC Member
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2011, 03:59:47 PM »
Make note...calling one of the Board who possesses a ban hammer a "spooge sponge" is a sure fire way to get banned.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2011, 04:08:26 PM »
Who is this LD guy from the tri-cities?

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2011, 04:21:55 PM »
Make note...calling one of the Board who possesses a ban hammer a "spooge sponge" is a sure fire way to get banned.

...2 of the current board members.

Offline Shadow Bear

• MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2011, 04:28:40 PM »

Sell tickets and you've got one hell of a fund raiser  ;D

Bronson

I can recommend one more candidate for the pool, but that's all 'for now'

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2011, 04:46:38 PM »

Don't know which is worse there. The trolls, the fudds, or the keyboard commando experts.

Offline Shadow Bear

• MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2011, 05:01:35 PM »

Don't know which is worse there. The trolls, the fudds, or the keyboard commando experts.

My vote is for the SOFAOPS guys

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2012, 01:11:56 AM »
youre right...individual safes for the different individual parts is the safest option so they cant get back out without you knowing.

Sorry this wont work either. As all glock parts take a safe cracking course before they leave the factory in Austria. FYI - to make matters worse any cross-platform firearm that can except glock parts of ANY KIND such as my Kel-Tec sub2000 carbine (see avatar) will if possible, aid in their glock comrades escape. I have found the only safe way to store a glock firearm is to place the parts in multiple safes, one inside of the multiple others; then have them launched into Geo-syncronis orbit by the European Space agency (they are the safest I'm told).  ???  As I have said before all we need to do to defeat our enemies is to simply drop glocks and ammo in the middle of the night in their country's. Before sunrise of the the same day they would all be wiped out by these crafty, self loading, self pointing, levitating killer pistols.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 01:15:10 AM by Glock9mmOldStyle »
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline yance

• MOC Member
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2012, 05:09:58 PM »
I heard it was a Glock that took out Kennedy...they framed the guy they accused of doing it because no one would believe the ultra uber safe Glock had an agenda.  I smelled a rat right from the beginning, I wasnt even around during the assassination, but from the ballistics I knew it had to be a Glock!

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2012, 06:54:37 PM »
I heard it was a Glock that took out Kennedy...they framed the guy they accused of doing it because no one would believe the ultra uber safe Glock had an agenda.  I smelled a rat right from the beginning, I wasnt even around during the assassination, but from the ballistics I knew it had to be a Glock!

+1 Yance!

I am told that a Glock my have been responsible for Lincoln also. They say the pistol built it's own time machine to carry out the deed! Man these things are the devils spawn! Be scared, very scared .....

::)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 07:32:49 PM by Glock9mmOldStyle »
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline METL

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2012, 12:08:29 PM »
My glock just rides around in my holster all day...  kinda makes me sad that it's not a more interesting sidearm....    ahhh... the lost adventures we coulda had..    :'(      :D

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2012, 04:04:58 PM »

Offline yance

• MOC Member
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2012, 07:11:03 PM »
^^ Lmao

Side note: I heard that Glocks open carry Chuck Norris for self defense. 

Offline s_a_c

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2012, 06:05:29 PM »
Permanent injunction?  When did that happen?  Is the case still on going?  how did they get around preemption?

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2012, 08:05:57 PM »
Permanent injunction?  When did that happen?  Is the case still on going?  how did they get around preemption?

The permanent injunction happened back in May, 2011.  It enjoins the general public.  There is now no TRO against MOC.  It is important to note a TRO is different than a PPO.  A TRO against a person or an organization will not prevent that person or members of that organization from getting or holding a CPL.

The case is currently in the appeals court and we expect an answer on that case sometimes this spring.