Author Topic: Is it a rifle or is it a pistol  (Read 10081 times)

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
Re: Is it a rifle or is it a pistol
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2011, 06:27:47 PM »
Yep... I have read the bills so I understand it... I was more concerned that others might not. Not to mention that the grandfather clause was not in the first round of bills back in 2010.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline kpearce

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2011, 07:49:06 PM »
Sorry guy's I should have been more clear. I re-read my post and can clearly understand the confusion. I meant to say that they must be registered before Jan 1, 2012 to be grandfathered as "Michigan Pistols" and any "NEW" ones sold after that date will be as under the Federal Law a Rifle. However the law has not yet completely passed but it is the grandfather clause that has the date point. Melissa said they have to rewrite the bill to change it and then it would have to be sent back through and that may not likely happen. So we are stuck with the Jan 1, 2012 date to have them all registered by.

On another note I was in 2 different stores this week and they are both very happy to see this law being passed. They supposedly have warehouses full of "rifles" they can now sell to 18-21 year olds without  them being classified as a pistol. It brings Michigan in line with Federal Law. However as I told one guy today I can't really see the use for a pistol grip shotgun or folder that can't be carried anywhere, cause you certainly are not using them duck hunting.

Ken

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2011, 08:40:28 PM »
I certainly enjoy being able to possess and carry a rifle concealed as well as openly anywhere in conjunction with my CPL. I'm entertaining the thought of registering a few more models prior to the end of the year. It'd be way kewl to tote an authentic A-Team stainless Mini-14 anywhere and everywhere. I know a guy with a factory stainless folder. Now if I can just lure it from him.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline bigbob

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2011, 10:05:57 PM »
thanks for all the replies everyone. The sub 2000 (Melrose) will the way she is. Kpearce thanks for the heads up. I have not heard anything about that. I have another one still on back order with little chance of getting here before the first of the year. Plan was to register it and sell it to my brother next time he comes back home but I will have to get with him and rethink that. The whole appeal on that gun is it folding in half and being legal to carry loaded in your car.

Offline maustin195

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2011, 05:42:13 PM »
So in short as long as it is registered before 1-1-12 it will remain possible to carry as a pistol?  Your post makes it more unclear rather than simpler I am sorry to say.

[/qute]
The way I read the law as proposed is that the Michigan Pistol doesent have to be registered by 1-1-2012 it just has to be 'owned ,possesed,carried or transported by then. You should then have up to 10 days to register it. This could come in handy if your local P.D. would not accept paperwork during the holiday season.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2011, 06:36:58 PM »
So in short as long as it is registered before 1-1-12 it will remain possible to carry as a pistol?  Your post makes it more unclear rather than simpler I am sorry to say.

[/qute]
The way I read the law as proposed is that the Michigan Pistol doesent have to be registered by 1-1-2012 it just has to be 'owned ,possesed,carried or transported by then. You should then have up to 10 days to register it. This could come in handy if your local P.D. would not accept paperwork during the holiday season.

Not quite as I read it...

THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF MICHIGAN ENACT:
SEC. 3. A PERSON WHO, BEFORE JANUARY 1 1, 2012, LAWFULLY OWNED,
 POSSESSED, CARRIED, OR TRANSPORTED A FIREARM 30 INCHES OR LESS IN  LENGTH AS A PISTOL PURSUANT TO A LICENSE ISSUED UNDER SECTION 2 OR 5B OR PURSUANT TO AN EXEMPTION UNDER SECTION 2 OR 5B MAY CONTINUE TO LAWFULLY OWN, POSSESS, CARRY, OR TRANSPORT THAT FIREARM AS A PISTOL ON OR AFTER JANUARY 1, 2012 PURSUANT TO THAT LICENSE OR ANY RENEWAL OF THAT LICENSE OR PURSUANT TO THAT EXEMPTION.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2011-2012/billintroduced/House/pdf/2011-HIB-4247.pdf

Appears that all needs to be in place prior to January 1, 2012.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2011, 12:39:57 PM »
The owner of Top Gun is one of the gun stores that pushed for this to happen.
I guess he thinks there will be a major increase in sales of guns that will not be used for anything other then safe queens. I know I sure don't see many side fold AK's during deer season, and the 18" pistol grip shot guns are not exactly common for shooting small game for some silly reason.

Offline bigbob

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2011, 08:57:26 PM »
I live a few miles from top gun. I guess if it helps sell guns all the power to him but this whole thing is bitter sweet. It is cool in that we dont have to register them anymore and go threw all the pistol requirements, but until we can have loaded rifles in the car ( as if that is going to happen soon....ever) it hurts gun owners more than it helps them.