Author Topic: Is it a rifle or is it a pistol  (Read 10260 times)

Offline bigbob

Is it a rifle or is it a pistol
« on: December 09, 2011, 08:37:12 PM »
I ordered 2 keltec sub 2000's about January and one of them finally came in. The gun is 29 1/2'' long so it has  to be registered as a pistol. Say after it is registered as a pistol I put a recoil pad on it, or a stock extension or by whatever mean make the gun over 30'', is it still a pistol in the laws eye?  my assumption is that it does not matter it will always be a pistol if so registered but I can't legally have a loaded rifle in my car but can a pistol so just curious and wanted to clear this up. while you are reading ill throw this question out too. What is the minimum overall length for a shotgun? im sure i could figure that one out pretty easy on Google but its on topic kinda. thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Is it a rifle or is it a pistol
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 11:00:47 PM »
If you get no answer here you might get some interesting replies over at http://migunowners.org under the "Legal Begal" forum.

I've heard two different answers:
1. It may be unregistered.
2. Once. Pistol, always a pistol.

I Don't know about car carry once you've made it over 30"
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
Re: Is it a rifle or is it a pistol
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 01:01:20 PM »
My understanding is for a shot gun to be still considered a shotgun and not an AOW is that the barrel MUST be 18" and the entire length needs to be between 26" and 30". The 26" to 30" is a MI thing not federal, so keep that in mind if you travel to other states.

Since you are required to "inform" the popo that you have a weapon during a traffic stop for instance, it is a possibility that it could be measured and an issue develop if it is not under 30".

Offline bigbob

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 02:16:58 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts guys. Supertucker ur second paragraph is exactly what I am afraid of. I don't have any intention of making the gun longer than 29" right now but I was thinking about what would happen in the event I did and can't find the answer anywhere.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 01:04:18 AM »
My understanding is for a shot gun to be still considered a shotgun and not an AOW is that the barrel MUST be 18" and the entire length needs to be between 26" and 30". The 26" to 30" is a MI thing not federal, so keep that in mind if you travel to other states.

Since you are required to "inform" the popo that you have a weapon during a traffic stop for instance, it is a possibility that it could be measured and an issue develop if it is not under 30".

I think you only have to disclose if you are carrying a pistol on or about yourself under the authority of a CPL.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline bigbob

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 07:06:09 PM »

I think you only have to disclose if you are carrying a pistol on or about yourself under the authority of a CPL.

as would be the case if i had it loaded in my car.

I called 6 gun shops today and got 7 different answers. I picked up the gun today and asked the guy his take on it. he was under the once a pistol always a pistol influence. asked  when i dropped of the registration slips at the police depo and she had no answer. I am going to get an email off to the state police and see if i get anything there. that was the suggestion i got at the police office.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 07:20:42 PM »
One former member posted that he had his unregistered. Even posted the letter from MSP doing so.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline bigbob

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 08:33:26 PM »
Pat, what do you mean by unregistered? Do you mean it was registered as a pistol, he made it longer and then had it unregistered? or do you mean he had a sub 2k that was just considered a rifle when he bought it? thanks for chriping in here. This whole thing has got me really curious. any chance you remember what his/her username is?

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 08:43:21 PM »
Pat, what do you mean by unregistered? Do you mean it was registered as a pistol, he made it longer and then had it unregistered? or do you mean he had a sub 2k that was just considered a rifle when he bought it? thanks for chriping in here. This whole thing has got me really curious. any chance you remember what his/her username is?

It was a ruger 10/22 with collapsable stock that was registered as a pistol. The user placed the original rifle stock on the firearm and sent a letter to MSP requesting that it be un-registered, since it was back to it's original rifle configuration. MSP responded that the firearm was removed from registration as a pistol.

The user is lil_freak_66. I think it was posted on Michigan Gun Owners forum.

I did not know it could be done. But I read the letters posted myself.

ETA: You are correct about not having a loaded rifle in the car. But a loaded registered pistol, is lawful with a CPL. That is why I have a specific rifle with a folding stock registered as a pistol. For both possession (notice I didn't say transporting) in my vehicles loaded and concealed carry. After all, a pistol is only good for fighting your way to your rifle.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 08:47:58 PM by CV67PAT »

Offline bigbob

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 09:33:11 PM »
ahh i see what you mean. I want it to be registered as a pistol now and always. What I am curious/ concerend about is if ( and i dont have any intentions to do it at the moment but just so i know the legality) the gun was made longer then 30'' long. If I take said gun and keep in in my car loaded would i run into problems with the law saying this is a rifle because it is longer than 30'' and now is illegal to have loaded in the car. I  argue that if it is registered as a pistol it would maintain that standing even if made into "rifle length", but I am not sure what the actual law says about it.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 09:41:35 PM »
Here's a thought...

How readily removable is the recoil pad? If it is a slip on, similar to the one on my M4, you'd still have a pistol as it is not a permanent alteration requiring tools to modify.

And I need to ask why you want to add 1/2" to make it 30" OAL in the first place. Aren't you content with it's current configuration? What would cause you to want to change it?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 09:43:14 PM by CV67PAT »

Offline bigbob

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 09:48:33 PM »
Yep I am plenty content with it so far. It is more or less a what if thought I had. after thinking about it i was just really curious about what the law has to say about such conditions. Its a 9mm carbine i really dont think a recoil pad will be necessary haha and like you say a slip on one would fit the bill if one were so inclined. I brought it up to a few buddies ( you know the type of buddys you always have to call and tell about your new purchases and invite to the range) and we were all stumped. now I have to figure it out purely to satisfy my curiosity. the same would hold true in situations aside from mine. like if you have an AR pistol and decide to swap the upper and toss a stock on it for a "rifle" is it still a "pistol" technically?

Offline bigbob

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 09:02:58 PM »
still no answer but just to keep info in the thread for anyone who cares.
If you take an AR pistol and put a butt stock and 16 inch barrel on it you have made a rifle. According to the National Firearms act you can not make a pistol out of a rifle so in the laws eyes this would have to be a permanent conversion. If making a pistol out of an AR15 platform you need to use a virgin lower that has never had a butt-stock on it. I guess it wasn't a very parallel comparison i tried to make.
I am going to try to get a hold of Michigan State Police tomorrow and see what their take on it is.

Offline bigbob

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 09:17:35 PM »
state police says it will be considered a rifle no matter what it is registered as if it is over 30''. takes care of that question.

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 10:37:16 PM »
That is why I said what I did in my last post. I have had a few different MI pistols in the big truck with me over the years. Some cops get mad when you have better equipment then they do and look for ways to screw with ya.

If you are set on having the kel-tec in a vehicle, leave it at 29 1/2" and call it good.

Hopefully we can have SBR's available someday.

Offline kpearce

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 10:49:42 PM »
OK Guys,

There is legislation that has passed the Senate HB 760, 761, 762. It will not pass until sometime next year, but it WILL eliminate the "Michigan Pistol". You MUST have all "Michigan Pistols" registered by January 1, 2012 to keep them as pistols. There will be NO MORE after that date. There is a grandfather clause in the bill that sets this date. It does not matter when the law finally passes and gets signed, the grandfather clause sets the date. It can only be changed if the bill goes all the way back to the beginning and gets placed before the Senate, which is unlikely to happen.

I purchased a pistol grip Remington 870 and built another exact one and registered them today. I had to stand in line in Oakland County, and most gun stores I called looking for parts are in short supply. I think you can just register the receiver and build it later, but you need to do it before January 1, 2012.

The other thing is the SUB 2000 IS a Michigan Pistol. It IS under 30" and has to be registered that way. I have some and carry them in the trucks all the time, but until Jan 1, 2012 they are a pistol in Michigan and must be registered as such. I bought mine from Williams and they would only sell with RI-60 and CPL or Purchase Permit. After Jan 1, 2012 they will be just rifles and MAY NOT be carried loaded in your vehicle.

Ken

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 12:35:03 PM »
So in short as long as it is registered before 1-1-12 it will remain possible to carry as a pistol?  Your post makes it more unclear rather than simpler I am sorry to say.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 01:23:10 PM »
So in short as long as it is registered before 1-1-12 it will remain possible to carry as a pistol?  Your post makes it more unclear rather than simpler I am sorry to say.

I think your answer is here:

...You MUST have all "Michigan Pistols" registered by January 1, 2012 to keep them as pistols...

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2011, 03:06:32 PM »
Right but then later his post he said after that date the keltec carbine would revert to a rifle and no longer be able to be carried as a pistol.

Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2011, 03:17:22 PM »
Right but then later his post he said after that date the keltec carbine would revert to a rifle and no longer be able to be carried as a pistol.

I don't think it's as complicated as you're making it out to be.

Prior to Jan 1, 2012 it will need to be registered as a pistol.

After Jan 1, 2011 they will no longer be required to be registered as a pistol.

Those registered prior to Jan 1, 2012 will continue to be pistols. And as such may lawfully be possessed as a pistol.

After Jan 1, 2012 any not registered previously as a pistol will be considered rifles and will have to be possessed and transported as such.

Does that explain the Kel-tec adequately?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 07:00:34 PM by CV67PAT »