Author Topic: Person doesn't like knives  (Read 5608 times)

Offline xmanhockey7

• First Name (Displayed): Xander
Person doesn't like knives
« on: February 23, 2012, 07:25:07 PM »
I know this is about open carrying a holstered pistol but this relates IMHO.

I have a friend who lives in Indiana. While I was down there I was OCing my Glock and had my knife clipped to my pocked so you could see the clip of the knife but most of it was in my pocket. My friend knows when I'm down there I typically am carrying two guns and this does not bother her at all. The fact I have a knife does though. Several years ago she was rapped by a guy who she knew. He physically beat her, used a knife to help force himself on her, and rapped her. One time I was with her I pulled out my knife to cut something and she kind of freaked. I put the knife away so she would calm down. More recently she saw the knife clipped to my pocket. She looked at me and said "I don't like those". At first I thought she was talking about my gun. Which surprised me because she has never had a problem with me carrying, in fact she says she likes the fact I do. As it turns out she was talking about my knife. I put it into my pocket so she could no longer see it and she seemed to be more comfortable knowing that.

What do you guys think about this? I'm not 100% sure what I'm trying to say about this but just that my friend was scared of the sight of a knife because she had a dramatic experience involving one.

Offline JoeCar

Re: Person doesn't like knives
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 09:14:17 PM »
I'd say that seeing a pocket knife triggers her to re-live the rape in her mind. Don't let her see it in your presence. That's my thinking.

Offline northofnowhere

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 07:45:56 AM »
I think this is the same thing we deal with daily with the carry of a firearm.  You are legal, you "can" continue to do it, but hey, it is your friend and she did a fair amount of explaining that she really didn't need to do.  I think in my case, I would cover, hide, or not carry the knife while around her.  Perhaps even simply getting a pocket type holster for the knife so it is completely covered would be an easy fix.  In the end it is your call though, and there are arguments either way.
Jason E. Reese aka northofnowher

Offline xmanhockey7

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 11:16:25 AM »
I think it has kind of made me think about OCing a gun. I think I'll still do it but I look at her being afraid of the sight of a knife because of her rape what about if someone I encounter feels the same way but about guns? I'm sure I'll still OC in Michigan since I don't yet have a CPL.

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 06:32:27 PM »
I understand the memories seeing the knife can potentially bring up, but I would say try to talk to her and help her to realize that, like a gun, a knife is a tool.  The knife cant rape, or kill, or harm unless someone uses it to accomplish those actions.  Its like someone being afraid of a gun because they were robbed by someone with a gun, the gun didnt rob them, the person did.  I would ask her if she would be open to sitting down and talking about it to make her feel comfortable, let her know the knife is just a tool and it only does what you want it to do because you control the knife.  Dont force her to hold it or use it, but just talk to her about the knife, if you have a good relationship with her it may help talking with her to get her to accept a knife as just a tool and she may react better and more accepting to seeing one.

I can understand why seeing a knife traumatizes her because of the circumstances...does she react the same to something like a steak knife while shes eating?  What I mean is does she panic around all knives or just pocket knives?

I hope I didnt come across as harsh...if it was one of my close friends, its probably the steps I would take...sitting them down and trying to talk to them.

Offline xmanhockey7

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 12:32:34 AM »
I understand the memories seeing the knife can potentially bring up, but I would say try to talk to her and help her to realize that, like a gun, a knife is a tool.  The knife cant rape, or kill, or harm unless someone uses it to accomplish those actions.  Its like someone being afraid of a gun because they were robbed by someone with a gun, the gun didnt rob them, the person did.  I would ask her if she would be open to sitting down and talking about it to make her feel comfortable, let her know the knife is just a tool and it only does what you want it to do because you control the knife.  Dont force her to hold it or use it, but just talk to her about the knife, if you have a good relationship with her it may help talking with her to get her to accept a knife as just a tool and she may react better and more accepting to seeing one.

I can understand why seeing a knife traumatizes her because of the circumstances...does she react the same to something like a steak knife while shes eating?  What I mean is does she panic around all knives or just pocket knives?

I hope I didnt come across as harsh...if it was one of my close friends, its probably the steps I would take...sitting them down and trying to talk to them.

Haven't really thought about the sitting down with her. I think from now on I'll just make sure it's all the way in my pocket since it's really not a big deal whether my knife is showing or not. I just keep it like that for convenience reasons. Around other types of knives she has no problem really just pocket knives. For how dramatic of experience it was I think she handles it fairly well as far as not letting it take control of her life. But I know she still blames herself for it (no way anyone could blame it on her) and it's something I just don't even bring up. 

Offline venator

• MOC Member
    • My Parents Open Carry book order
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 09:57:53 AM »
Not sure of her logic.  She knows you have a knife, but it's now hidden.  Hmmmm.   She knows you have a penis, but it to is hidden. Hmmmmm.  She knows you have a gun and it's not hidden. Hmmmm.  All 3 of these things can be used to initiate a rape, 2 hidden, one not. Hmmmmm.

Some fear is definitely irrational.

Don't let irrational fear and fuzzy logic dissuade you from exercising a right how you feel best.
Family book on OPEN CARRY go to: http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/
Looking forward to having more smites than posts.  Thanks all.
The above are my opinions only.  Please seek an attorney concerning all questions of law.

Offline xj bmx

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 06:51:40 PM »
Most female logic (and a lot of male also) doesn't make sense. My girlfriend is the same way but with my pistol. She loves that I have it and know how to use it, loves that I will be carrying in another month or so, she come shooting with me and even wants her own. But if I have it laying on the table she freaks and pulls the magazine out and clears the chamber (never have one in there anywho unless its a high risk area). It doesn't make any sense and I'm sure she will get over it soon but for now I keep her happy.

But i agree about discussing it with her to calm her nerves and if it don't work, o well its not like you need your knife for self defense and need to get to it quickly, that's why you have a pistol.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 07:22:25 PM »
She knows you have a penis, but it to is hidden. Hmmmmm. 

ROFLMFAO!!!
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update