Author Topic: no firearms place questions, what to do when arrive by foot etc.  (Read 6705 times)

Offline Jon Mire

• First Name (Displayed): Joni M.
so i have to go to the courthouse/police station in east Lansing. I know from experience that they are very picky about 'weapons'. i have avoided this area for many years since the riots and drunk'n stupor persons. i have had a few close calls in East Lansing. its a long trip on bicycle or walking and would like too carry from haslett to there. i have no CPL yet but have taken the classes. it is a bad idea for open carry so i am told as CATA property is a weapon free zone.

i know i can open carry to there and from there according to the law with my semi-auto pistol. weapon free, no firearms, asked not to carry are the same for me.

my questions are...

-How do i secure my weapon in a no firearms zone before entry while walking/bicycling? either by circumstance or planned. (Ie. started to downpour too or from.)
-Is securing it in a backpack locked with ammo in a separate place on your person proper etiquette? similar as one would do with a car
-would dismantling in public before entry be considered brandishing?
-is reassembling in public and returning to holster lawful ? ie after you leave a no weapon Zone on a park bench.
-would dismantling the firearm make it no longer a weapon? therefore making it not applicable under most firearms laws as it being considered 'parts' for a firearm.
-how far would on have to dismantle to no be an obvious weapon? (therefore rendering it as parts)
 is removing the slide from the frame an obvious and 'good nuff' non weapon situation? (or removing cylinder from a revolver, the 1911 is its own tool kit!  8)  )
-at what point are you considered 'carrying' as in the defining moment? (open or concealed)
-when is a gun lawfully considered a 'weapon' and therefore falls under applicable laws?
-how would you explain this to an officer after leaving/entering a no weapon zone? i am am sure it would be likely at some point if one had to dismantle in public.
-other than not carrying what to do?

i am very new to this and don't want to be ignorant with a very expensive weapon. what did i miss in this potential circumstance? ultimately i plan on carrying everywhere i go and this for sure is one of the situations that i see as a potential problem open carry full time. when i can afford it i will get my CPL as 'backup' as mentioned by one of the open carry moderators.

It would be possible to dismantle in a bathroom stall i suppose while in a private situation as long as one purchased something. Therefore you have business with them, in turn giving you a "temporary lease" on the "private room" while one "does there business" (;D tryiing to keep it PG folks). this would be at a open carry friendly establishment.

thanks in advance, jon

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Re: no firearms place questions, what to do when arrive by foot etc.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 06:53:26 PM »
so i have to go to the courthouse/police station in east Lansing.

1. You can't take a gun into a court, dismantled, in backpack, or otherwise.  Good luck getting past security with it and good luck explaining it to the judge after they bust you.

The rest of the post is a bit unclear and so are the questions.  You might want to try breaking each question into a separate thread in the OC Questions area.  You might also want to try reading the stickies in that same OC Questions area.

Don't carry, at all, until you understand all the laws involved.  You could go from good guy to criminal in a matter of moments and lose your rights to own/carry a gun for a very long time -- if not forever.  It's not worth it!

IMHO, based on the types of questions you asked, you have a lot more studying to do before you start open carrying -- especially without a CPL (there are lots of pits to fall in to easily if you don't have a CPL!)
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Jon Mire

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 07:31:57 PM »
well ok. on the courthouse issue i can understand. would there be a gun check at the door?

the questions are so broad because of the various circumstances that one runs into everyday.

the going into court room or what have you isn't the issue. it is more of how a firearm has to be handled while being brought into a weapon free zone while on foot or the like. ie like back when we had to gun checks for a CPL. does this apply still if going to such an area? The whole backpack concept came from if it is breech locked in a case that is locked before entering and checking your bag with the clerk before proceeding with your bisnuss.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
no firearms place questions, what to do when arrive by foot etc.
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 07:50:39 PM »
If you're on foot going into a PFZ you're screwed unless there is a locker you can use nearby outside of the PFZ. I'm told Eaton County has lockers in their court for CPL holders.

Offline Jon Mire

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 08:09:24 PM »
ahh thats what i was wondering as i rarely go into these places. what about other weapon free areas? or is it case specific? trying to figure out how to get this to work in most situations. if if one has to provide there own 'locker' to secure there weapon at the the door with the house authorities.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 09:25:52 AM »
ahh thats what i was wondering as i rarely go into these places. what about other weapon free areas? or is it case specific? trying to figure out how to get this to work in most situations. if if one has to provide there own 'locker' to secure there weapon at the the door with the house authorities.

A person without a CPL cannot possess a pistol inside a PFZ at all. This means you can't even walk through the front door with it.

I suggest you get a lock box attached to your bicycle that you can secure your pistol (in a container design for pistols) and the separated ammo while you are inside the PFZ.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Jon Mire

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 11:32:37 AM »
also is a person without a CPL not even allowed on the property because that is considered part of the PFZ. similar to the trespassing laws..

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 11:51:20 AM »
also is a person without a CPL not even allowed on the property because that is considered part of the PFZ. similar to the trespassing laws..

Why wouldn't a person without a CPL be allowed on the property of a PFZ? How would seniors without CPL cash their social security checks at the bank?!?!?

I think you are starting to ask stupid questions.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Jon Mire

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 05:28:35 PM »
trying again.....

A person without a CPL cannot possess a pistol inside a PFZ at all. This means you can't even walk through the front door with it.

ok, also is a person without a CPL (OC is implied) not even allowed on the property because (the surround property up to the property lines)  Is the surrounding direct property considered part of the PFZ? similar to the trespassing laws..

Why wouldn't a person without a CPL be allowed on the property of a PFZ? How would seniors without CPL cash their social security checks at the bank?!?!?

my bad forgot to proof read...

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 05:33:46 PM »
trying again.....

ok, also is a person without a CPL (OC is implied) not even allowed on the property because (the surround property up to the property lines)  Is the surrounding direct property considered part of the PFZ? similar to the trespassing laws..

my bad forgot to proof read...

Oh you meant with a gun in the PFZs. Sorry about that. I should have probably known better.

So to answer the complete question...

Carry of a firearm by a non-CPL holder on the premises of prohibited premises is prohibited.

Offline Jon Mire

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 05:42:29 PM »
so the whole point is DO NOT cross that imaginary line that is a PFZ with a firearm onto the direct property pertaining to the PFZ. One would think the sidewalk or curb is your physical reference?

so this would include things like CATA bus stops and other similar property within reason.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 05:47:53 PM »
If you have a gun on a CATA bus without a CPL you're in BIG trouble.

See MCL 750.227.  It'd be like having the gun in your car.

I don't think having it in your backpack locked/disassembled would be much saving grace for you....but maybe?

You should ask a lawyer.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 06:04:59 PM by TheQ »

Offline Jon Mire

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 05:57:54 PM »
If you have a gun on a CADL bus without a CPL you're in BIG trouble

well i believe any bus stop includeing those signs and shelters along the road would be considered CATA property therefore a PFZ. within the area that they have claimed easement on public property.

so it would be a bad idea while walking to take shelter in one. just saying....

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 06:01:15 PM »
If you have a gun on a CADL bus without a CPL you're in BIG trouble

well i believe any bus stop includeing those signs and shelters along the road would be considered CATA property therefore a PFZ. within the area that they have claimed easement on public property.

so it would be a bad idea while walking to take shelter in one. just saying....

Have your gun vault and cable with you at all times so you can lock it up outside of the little shelter if the need arises to seek refuse inside of one of those.