Author Topic: Open carrying with a CPL in a movie theater  (Read 8208 times)

Offline eggomelette

• First Name (Displayed): Ralph
Open carrying with a CPL in a movie theater
« on: July 21, 2012, 02:44:01 AM »
I'm a CPL holder who has never open carried. I went to the movies tonight and as the theater held more than 2500 people I wasn't permitted to CC. If I chose to open carry, what would have happened? If the theater has a no weapons policy, am I basically screwed?

Offline Bronson

Re: Open carrying with a CPL in a movie theater
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 03:19:29 AM »
If they ask you to leave or leave the gun in the car you have a few of choices:

1) Leave

2) Leave the gun in the car and watch the movie

3) Refuse to leave or remove the gun from the theater in which case the police will likely be called and you will be arrested for trespassing.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 04:56:14 PM »
 8) Yes you would screwed, Carry On.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 11:06:18 AM »
You could also act as inconspicuous as possible, while lawfully open carrying.

If no one observes you, then then wouldn't know to tell you to leave. And you'd be able to maintain your personal security.

Open carry doesn't necessarily mean prominently displayed. It just means worn in a holster on the outside of all clothing. A black gun in a black holster works well. Keeping your strong side away from visibility also helps.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 11:42:56 AM »
You could also act as inconspicuous as possible, while lawfully open carrying.

If no one observes you, then then wouldn't know to tell you to leave. And you'd be able to maintain your personal security.

Open carry doesn't necessarily mean prominently displayed. It just means worn in a holster on the outside of all clothing. A black gun in a black holster works well. Keeping your strong side away from visibility also helps.

But, But, Black guns are scary.

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 01:50:57 PM »
Sometimes those signs arent actually telling the truth.  For example yesterday some friends and I went to see the new Batman at Celebration Cinema in Portage, MI and they have a sign that states 2500+ seating capacity.  However my friend, who CC's, called the theater to ask for their total seating capacity to which they told him it was 2250, well under the 2500+ that would make CC illegal.  So I would suggest calling or trying to find the seating capacity online before going if you place to CC because they might not actually fit the 2500+ capacity.

As far as OC goes, really it all depends on who notices it and if they have a specific policy against firearms possession on the premises.  A lot of time no one notices or no one seems to care but being private property if they ask you to leave its best to comply or put it in your vehicle.

Offline AutumnArcher

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 07:42:30 PM »
I called our local theater to ask what the capacity was, as I thought it was close to 2500. The flunkie I got on the phone said tehy had no clue. Really? So how do they know when to stop ticket sales?  We went, I carried, and noticed each theater had the capacity posted above the door. None were more than 225, with a total of 8 theaters. Some were as small as 90. No signs on the doors prohibiting firearms, so its good to go either way. I elected CC in this instance, next time I may OC. I was with my son, who really wanted to see the movie, so I didnt want to have the mgr kick me out for OC. Now if Im with my wife , then her and I will both OC.

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 12:50:19 AM »
Sometimes those signs arent actually telling the truth.  For example yesterday some friends and I went to see the new Batman at Celebration Cinema in Portage, MI and they have a sign that states 2500+ seating capacity.  However my friend, who CC's, called the theater to ask for their total seating capacity to which they told him it was 2250, well under the 2500+ that would make CC illegal.  So I would suggest calling or trying to find the seating capacity online before going if you place to CC because they might not actually fit the 2500+ capacity.

As far as OC goes, really it all depends on who notices it and if they have a specific policy against firearms possession on the premises.  A lot of time no one notices or no one seems to care but being private property if they ask you to leave its best to comply or put it in your vehicle.

They don't actually have to have seat 2500+ to make it illegal to CC - http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showpost.php?p=1688756&postcount=2

Offline Bronson

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 02:38:31 AM »
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 11:58:58 AM »