Author Topic: At Work  (Read 5826 times)

Offline Nav0341

• First Name (Displayed): Jeff
At Work
« on: July 24, 2012, 02:07:48 AM »
This might sound like a dumb question to some. And yes I am well aware that this is primarily an OC group, BUT I am looking for your honest feedback.

I am starting a new job in a couple of weeks. My current employer has no issue what so ever with me OC or CC at work. Although I normally CC to save on the drama caused by a few, I do OC frequently as well. This employer actually even paid for my CPL application due to the nature of some of my job duties. Now with my new employer, do I have any obligation whatsoever to inform them that I may be CC'ing.  I have decided that I will CC until I test the waters with them a little bit, if I find that they are really really against it, I figure what they don't know won't hurt them and at that point I would rather just CC and be safe rather than be unarmed in a worst case scenario. I figure as long as there is no "company policy" against it, that I'm just fine. Other than possible termination is there really anything they can do to me IF there was a policy against it and they discovered I was carrying?

I did show up to my interview today sporting my Galco KingTuck, and it appeared that no one even noticed.... which is what I expected would happen.

Again, just looking for some feedback on this from some that may have been in similar situations.

Thanks!

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
Re: At Work
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 10:59:29 AM »
Have you had an opportunity to review the employee manual? There may be clauses that prohibit weapons.

Additionally, keep in mind that Michigan is an 'at will' state. They can can you for no reason at all, any time. They may just be 'uncomfortable' with an armed employee, and decide the easiest course is to fire you.

I'm no longer surprised that people don't notice an openly carried 1911. Spent an hour talking to a potential boarder, walking around the property. She never even noticed.

I think people 'see' what the expect to 'see'. They expect to see a phone on your hip, so their brain interprets the object on your hip as a phone.

As once said on CSI- 'when you hear hoof beats, think horse, not zebra'; in this case, however, it WAS a zebra.......
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.

Offline Nav0341

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 01:33:30 PM »
No, I haven't had a chance to review their employee manual as of yet. But that will be the first thing I do look for in it. And I am aware that MI is an "at will" state. I just really really do not want to be unarmed. This new job is in a much safer area than my current, but to me that means nothing really. I still have to drive 45 mins to and from there. I guess in a worse case scenario, I keep it locked in a safe in my trunk during work hours.

I too have noticed that people see what they expect to see. There was actually a VERY interesting show on this on Discovery.... perception. These are also some of the things we have been discussing in my Psychology course, like seeing a shape and color in a general location on someone's person = without really seeing it, our brain fills in the gaps and like you say.... they see a cell phone.

Offline FatMan

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 02:00:20 PM »
my 2 cents Don't ask Don't tell. Do what you can  to prepare for the possibility of losing your job. I worked armed for nearly 10 years and my employer never knew. I was once asked by a supervisor if i carried a gun I asked him I said "your a former Navy man right how would I carry a gun" I think he may have understood but he didn't say anything now if he had asked if I had a sidearm I guess i would have had to outright lie.
Why do you carry that handgun every place you go? Cause it's lighter than my shotgun.

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 06:28:15 PM »
If your employer has suggested that you carry and even paid for your CPL so you can carry at work I wouldnt think twice about it, they obviously wouldnt have paid for it and ecnouraged carry while at work if they didnt want you to.  As far as letting them know that you are, I wouldnt say a word.  If they ask if you are be honest, but I wouldnt volunteer that information.

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 07:07:58 PM »
If your employer has suggested that you carry and even paid for your CPL so you can carry at work I wouldnt think twice about it, they obviously wouldnt have paid for it and ecnouraged carry while at work if they didnt want you to.  As far as letting them know that you are, I wouldnt say a word.  If they ask if you are be honest, but I wouldnt volunteer that information.

You missed the detail- his current employer is OK, but he's starting a NEW job.
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.

Offline drtodd

• MOC Member
  • MOC Charter Member
Re: Re: At Work
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 09:17:38 PM »
my 2 cents Don't ask Don't tell. Do what you can  to prepare for the possibility of losing your job. I worked armed for nearly 10 years and my employer never knew. I was once asked by a supervisor if i carried a gun I asked him I said "your a former Navy man right how would I carry a gun" I think he may have understood but he didn't say anything now if he had asked if I had a sidearm I guess i would have had to outright lie.

lol And I agree.
"The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime." Miller v. U.S. 230 F 486 at 489

"Where rights as secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation which will abrogate them." Miranda v. Ariz., 384 U.S. 436 at 491 (1966).

Offline Nav0341

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 09:44:37 PM »
Yes this is a NEW employer. I've pretty much had the don't ask don't tell policy in mind. And that being the general consensus, that is more than likely how I will proceed.

I'm just looking for overall feedback on how others might handle this same situation. I appreciate the comments.

Offline yance

• MOC Member
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 12:25:52 PM »
Ooooh, oops.  I must have just run the information together when reading it, first I would look at the new employers employee handbook and go from there.  If there is nothing against it I would stick to a dont ask dont tell policy.  If they mention no firearms than at that point its just a personal decision, which would you value more, your life or your job?  If they dont know then they wont care, if I had a CPL I definitely would CC at my job, some weird folks around the area and they stop in every now and then to try to sell us things.  Theres no employee handbook to say no guns allowed but there is a verbal "no you cant carry" everytime something bad happens, most recently a string of armed robberies in the area.  But I value my life far more than the job I currently have, so it just becomes a personal decision.

However it is in my car as I dont leave home without it  ;)

Offline Nav0341

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 05:28:32 PM »
But I value my life far more than the job I currently have, so it just becomes a personal decision.

However it is in my car as I dont leave home without it  ;)

My personal feelings exactly. I would much rather be worried about finding another job rather than my family worried about how they are going to pay for my medical bills or funeral.

Offline yance

• MOC Member
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 06:31:54 PM »
I agree, theres not a job out there that is more important than my life, I can always find another job but I only have one shot at living. Plus I frequently will meet my girlfriend or other friends for lunch on my breaks from work and this gives me the chance to continue to provide for my protection while I'm in public.