Author Topic: Hello from Dallas, Texas  (Read 7361 times)

Offline TexasSupporter

• First Name (Displayed): James
Hello from Dallas, Texas
« on: September 17, 2012, 11:35:37 AM »
Hi guys, my name is James and I'm from Dallas, Texas.  Have been here 20 years now, but I grew up in Ann Arbor and still consider myself a Michigander!  Am excited to see what's going on with Open Carry in Michigan and around the country, and am proud of you all and want to show my support for what you're doing to protect our God given rights.  I conceal carry here in Texas 24/7 with what we call a CHL here, but our state statues unconstitutionally prohibit me and my fellow Texans from Open Carry.   We think this may change with the 2013 Texas Legislature, but we will see.  Meanwhile, in addition to my concealed carry here in Texas, I have joined to voice my support for the great work you are doing on my behalf.  Thank you!  I aill be travelling back to Michigan to visit, as I often do, and would like to join Michigan Open Carry events when there.  As a Texas concealed permit holder, is there any other requirements of me in order to join these events and Open Carry?   From what I have read, it appears that the reciprocal agreements between Michigan and Texas allow me to do so without the requirement to register my firearm (we do not  have registration requirements here in Texas, fyi).  Is this correct?  Thank you in advance for any insight and help you can give me.   And thanks again for protecting my rights - rights which are documented for us in the Constitution, the supreme law of the land, but which were given to us not by government, by by God himself. 

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Re: Hello from Dallas, Texas
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 12:19:02 PM »
Welcome.

For Open Carry purposes, Michigan Law recognizes any conceal carry license.  Please Google MCL 28.422(8)

(8 ) An individual who is not a resident of this state is not required to obtain a license under this section if all of the following conditions apply:

(a) The individual is licensed in his or her state of residence to purchase, carry, or transport a pistol.

(b) The individual is in possession of the license described in subdivision (a).

(c) The individual is the owner of the pistol he or she possesses, carries, or transports.

See also MCL 750.234d (and its exemptions).
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 12:30:47 PM »
Also note: MCL 28.422 is going through a major rewrite/repeal.  Stay Tuned.

The change basically repeals registration.  Won't effect your right to carry a handgun in Michigan in any way.

Offline TexasSupporter

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 12:41:16 PM »
Great, thank you very much TheQ.   That's great to hear your registration should be going away too.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 12:52:38 PM »
Great, thank you very much TheQ.   That's great to hear your registration should be going away too.
Ending registration is a mixed bag:

1. We'll no longer be able to carry Michigan Pistols concealed/in car.  A Michigan Pistol is any gun under 30" in overall length.  Ex: My Mossberg 500 w/ 18.5" barrel and pistol grip is a Pistol.  Therefore, to transport it, it'll have to be unloaded/in trunk.
2. The Permiot to Purchase (the vehicle for registration) provided exemption to the Gun Free School Zone act for those w/o a CPL.  Since registration is going away, so is the permit to purchase/possess/carry.

So while I like getting rid of registration, it isn't without drawbacks in Michigan.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 01:26:20 PM »
Welcome from Okemos.  That's right next to East Lansing which, being from Ann Arbor, you may have heard of. :)

What a coincidence.  I'll be in Texas in a couple of weeks.

Offline TexasSupporter

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 02:00:10 PM »
Welcome from Okemos.  That's right next to East Lansing which, being from Ann Arbor, you may have heard of. :)

What a coincidence.  I'll be in Texas in a couple of weeks.

Thanks Dan.  Yep I've been in Okemos - nice place I recall.   Had a couple friends from Okemos when I went to school over in Holland, MI.  Weather here in Texas is finally cooler and we've had a lot of rain to green it up, so it should be nice for your visit.

Offline wayne

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 08:35:52 AM »
TheQ, is there a thread with more detail on the MCL 28.422 rewrite?  Your first point on the rewrite is alarming to me and if I am understanding you properly you are saying we will no longer be able to CC in a vehicle?  Even with a CPL?

Offline WilDChilD

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 08:40:26 AM »
TheQ, is there a thread with more detail on the MCL 28.422 rewrite?  Your first point on the rewrite is alarming to me and if I am understanding you properly you are saying we will no longer be able to CC in a vehicle?  Even with a CPL?

Not pistols in Michigan. Michigan pistols is a term for rifles between 26 and 30 inch.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
Hello from Dallas, Texas
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 09:47:24 AM »

A "Michigan Pistol" is a special kind of gun. If you hang around enough, you'll hear the term used. A Michigan pistol is a gun between 26" and 30" in overall length.

Offline Hammurabi

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 10:09:10 AM »
The term "Michigan pistol" basically means "'pistol', only by Michigan state law."

Michigan law defines anything under 30" OAL as a pistol, but a bill has passed that reduces that length to 26" at the end of this year. Anyone who owns a firearm that met the old definition of "pistol" but no longer does, has registered it, and has maintained registration since before the end of this year can continue to carry it as a pistol for the purposes of state law so long as they have a copy of the registration card in their possession. Killing registration does away with the grandfather clause.

Anything under 26" OAL will continue to be a pistol per Michigan law, but that also is the magic number for NFA/GCA items. (SBR, SBS, AOW). There may be some wiggle room in measuring folded vs unfolded, but this hits vehicular/concealed carry of something bigger than a sidearm pretty hard.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 12:45:43 PM »
The term "Michigan pistol" basically means "'pistol', only by Michigan state law."

Michigan law defines anything under 30" OAL as a pistol, but a bill has passed that reduces that length to 26" at the end of this year. Anyone who owns a firearm that met the old definition of "pistol" but no longer does, has registered it, and has maintained registration since before the end of this year can continue to carry it as a pistol for the purposes of state law so long as they have a copy of the registration card in their possession. Killing registration does away with the grandfather clause.

Anything under 26" OAL will continue to be a pistol per Michigan law, but that also is the magic number for NFA/GCA items. (SBR, SBS, AOW). There may be some wiggle room in measuring folded vs unfolded, but this hits vehicular/concealed carry of something bigger than a sidearm pretty hard.

I've never seen a registration card. Can you post a picture of one?
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline WilDChilD

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 01:20:28 PM »
I've never seen a registration card. Can you post a picture of one?

Not much gets by you does it?

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 01:46:23 PM »
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline METL

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 10:14:40 AM »
Welcome to the forum.  Pretty cool to have someone from as far away as Texas.   Thanks for joining!

Offline TexasSupporter

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 10:18:02 AM »
Welcome to the forum.  Pretty cool to have someone from as far away as Texas.   Thanks for joining!

Thanks METL, and I am glad to join Michigan Open Carry.  You guys are incredible what you've already done, and from what I've found it looks like Michigan is leading the way on open carry.  I want to lead the way here on Texas, and have a lot to learn but am already well spoken on the subject and winning over people's minds here one by one.  By the way, I found this 2010 Michigan State Police release, which proved how far you've come.  Great job MOC!! 

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/MSP_Legal_Update_No._86_2_336854_7.pdf

Offline TexasSupporter

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 10:25:20 AM »
And I'm sure you guys are well aware of that Michigan State Police document, and that it was you who made it happen.  But stil think it's worth noting for the record again.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/MSP_Legal_Update_No._86_2_336854_7.pdf

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
Hello from Dallas, Texas
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 10:32:04 AM »
Our Treasurer/SW Regional coordinator, autosurgeon, worked closely with the MSP to get update 86 drafted and published.

Offline bagz013

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2012, 05:05:35 PM »
Welcome to MOC
Si vis pacem, para bellum
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it- Aristotle
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self- Ernest Hemingway