Author Topic: SB59 Calls  (Read 15865 times)

Offline FamilyMan

SB59 Calls
« on: October 04, 2012, 08:41:27 PM »
I made my calls today, and here are the results:

1st call: Senator Mike Nofs (my Senator): I got voice mail and left a message, stating I would be calling back in a week to check.

2nd call: Senator Randy Richardville: After telling the receptionist what I was calling about, I was transferred to an aid named Connor. As I began explaining my call, Connor interrupted me to tell me I had the wrong bill. SB58 is what I was refering to, and that it was still in the DNR. I was in my car, with only handwritten notes, and I've been away from the web for a couple of months, so I said "Okay, but I'll look it up later." I did look it up later and called him back to tell him he was mistaken about the bill. I explained what the two bills do and he thanked me for setting him straight. I asked him if Gov Snyder was opposed and he told me that it was the State Police that did not want this and Snyder would veto it if it came to him. I thanked him and he thanked me again before hanging up.

3rd call: Governor Snyder: I spoke with a receptionist who transferred me to Onna (sp?). Onna told me that the Governor supported the streamlining of the CPL process, but that he had some issues with the wording used in the bill. I told her that the streamlining was only part of the bill and the exemption from PFZ's was the other part. I told her I have read the bill, in its entirety, twice (completly true) and could she please tell me which parts or words he was having trouble with. Her attitude changed from dismissive to placating as she told me that information had not yet been released, but that the major players in the Senate would know. I ended the call by telling her that I supported the exemption of the PFZ's and she said she would relay this information to the Governor.

Carry on!

Offline sonicmatter

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: SB59 Calls
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 02:37:36 PM »
I called Sen Kahn's office and was told by the person who answered the phone that "the Senator had not expressed an opinion on SB59".

When I called Sen Richardville's office the Lady told me she would "put me on the long list of people who called to support SB59".

The Gov office went straight to voicemail.

Offline bagz013

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 03:35:25 PM »
I called Sen Kahn's office and was told by the person who answered the phone that "the Senator had not expressed an opinion on SB59".

When I called Sen Richardville's office the Lady told me she would "put me on the long list of people who called to support SB59".

The Gov office went straight to voicemail.

I got the same responses from Sen. Richardville and Gov's office last week. Hopefully tomorrow will go better.

However, my Sen., Joe Hune, has expressed an avid support of the bill. I have recieved email response everytime I expressed my concerns from his office as well as a firm, "Sen. Hune supports this bill in its entirety" from one of the secretaries. Good champion for our cause. He is also an avid outdoorsman.

1 for 3 is a .333 avg.....now if I could only hit 40+ homers and 120+ RBI's Miggy would have some competition.  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it- Aristotle
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self- Ernest Hemingway

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
SB59 Calls
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 01:11:59 PM »
I just received this:

I wanted to let you know that, when I called Senator Richardville, the
staffer who answered his phone was familiar with my message - said that
she had received hundreds of them already today and would add my name to the list.

Here's hoping it makes a difference!

John Doe
Ada, MI
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 01:16:21 PM »
Nice!  Lets keep it up until the governor signs it into law!

Offline sonicmatter

• MOC Member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 01:50:21 PM »
Made my calls again today and got the same responses as last time. Although this time I did get to speak to a staffer of the gov, instead of voice mail. When I pressed for specifics she was tip-toeing like there was lava everywhere. She said the gov stance has not changed and that he was concerned about the public safety aspect of the bill. She wouldn't say what part of the bill drew concern for public safety and continued to tippy toe around specifics.

What a bunch of non-committing cowards. I cannot stand politicians.

Offline ajelias

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 04:00:09 PM »
Made my calls too (3)   Same old same O

Offline detroit_fan

• AmmoDump
  • 2 chairs, no waiting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 12:26:44 PM »
So I made my calls today, and once again I was transferred to the Connar(?) who handles constituents for Richardville. Once again I only got a voice mail. Last week I left a message and was assured I would get a call back, never happened. This week in my voice mail I told them I was tired of not receiving a call back, so hopefully someone will contact me soon.

Is it possible that they could vote on it after the election, or is it dead?

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
SB59 Calls
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 12:29:12 PM »
So I made my calls today, and once again I was transferred to the Connar(?) who handles constituents for Richardville. Once again I only got a voice mail. Last week I left a message and was assured I would get a call back, never happened. This week in my voice mail I told them I was tired of not receiving a call back, so hopefully someone will contact me soon.

Is it possible that they could vote on it after the election, or is it dead?

I have been given promises about movement during a lame duck session, but then again I have been given promises about this movie earlier this spring…
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline detroit_fan

• AmmoDump
  • 2 chairs, no waiting
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 12:36:43 PM »
I have been given promises about movement during a lame duck session, but then again I have been given promises about this movie earlier this spring…

ok, thanks for letting me know. i'm so mad at randy right now i could just bust! wish he would have showed up at the Guns & Politics meeting this past monday, but i guess he knew what would've happened if he did.

Offline detroit_fan

• AmmoDump
  • 2 chairs, no waiting
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 03:31:03 PM »
Got a call back from Connar at Randy's office. He tried telling me that Randy was not blocking the bill from being voted, but rather trying to get the Speaker of the House, the Senate, and the Governor all on the same page. I told him in no uncertain terms that unless Randy allows it come up for a vote that he will be seen as the one stopping it, and he will face the repercussions from gun owners for not allowing it to be voted on. Expressed to him that with GOP in control of all state positions now is the time to act, and reminded him that MSP was also against CPL law, and look how that turned out.

I told him if the Gov is the one that doesn't want it, then pass it and let him veto is, because gun owners want to know where he stands. He did tell me that there is a session scheduled for after the election, but that the agenda for it has not been set and he did not know if 59 or 5225 would be on it.

So basically I got the run-around, but I did stress VERY much that not allowing the bill to be voted on would be the biggest missed opportunity for 2A in MI in at least a decade, and the repercussions from that woudl be immense. Not what I was hoping for, but he did assure me he would tell Randy what I said.

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 09:26:23 PM »
Yea he will pass it on to good old Randy, and if I know Randy (and sadly I do) he will say "Like i give a f**k?"
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline sonicmatter

• MOC Member
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 03:54:36 PM »
called all again today and to summarize; same non-answers as last time.

Sen Kahn: I tried to set up an appt to speak w/the senator on the phone and was told "he has a busy schedule" and that a staffer will call me back and be glad to talk to me about the bill. She wanted to know why I wanted to speak to the senator and I told her that I've been calling and cannot get a straight answer out of anyone about how the senator stands on this bill. Does he support it as written? And if not, why not? What, specifically, is he opposed to? I told her that whoever calls me back should have those answers available because the answer dodging is getting really old. I gave her my number and she said someone will call me back and that was that.

Sen Richardville: same as every time. the lady who answers the phone thanked me for calling and said my position was noted and she would add me to the list.

Gov: staffer said she would pass my comments on to the governor.

Offline sonicmatter

• MOC Member
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 01:14:23 AM »
As a follow up it has been 7 days since I talked to Senator Kahn's office and have not received any type of communication from them. That is very disappointing.

Offline WilDChilD

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 07:22:13 AM »
As a follow up it has been 7 days since I talked to Senator Kahn's office and have not received any type of communication from them. That is very disappointing.
Unfortunately not very surprising though.

Offline sonicmatter

• MOC Member
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2012, 12:06:54 AM »
Amazing! Today, Friday Nov 8 2012, I did indeed receive a call back from the Senators office.

Now don't hate on me but I was awakened by the phone call so I had not had any coffee and was completely out of it.

All I can remember from the call was the female said "the Senator wasn't opposed to any specific part of the legislation as written", but I do not remember her saying he supported it. The only other thing I can remember was she said something about the legislation coming up soon in a lame duck session and that it would be up to the Gov. Maybe that part shouldn't be publicly mentioned? I don't know.

Offline sonicmatter

• MOC Member
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2012, 12:10:02 AM »
Well I don't see how to change my post so I will post-edit it. Friday Nov 8 should read Friday Nov 9, 2012. :-)

Offline ajelias

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 02:34:48 PM »
Called my senator  Talked to an aid   :-\

Offline sonicmatter

• MOC Member
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 11:58:35 AM »
I called Representative Foster's office a few minutes ago. I was told SB59 will not be voted on by the House and it has been taken off the agenda for tomorrow.

Offline sonicmatter

• MOC Member
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 02:59:27 PM »
Phone calls made and emails sent. Rep Foster's office is the only one who answered the phone.

Foster- spoke w/Rob and Jason and was informed SB59 was taken off the agenda for tomorrow. Also sent email
Hukki- voice mail and email
Schmidt- voice mail and email
Damrow- voice mail and email
Hughes- voice mail and email
Johnson- vm and email
Pettalia- vm and email
Haugh- vm and email
Stapleton- vm and email
Bledsoe- vm and email
Slavens- vm and email