Author Topic: Drank the Colt Kool-Aid  (Read 16902 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Drank the Colt Kool-Aid
« on: December 08, 2012, 01:19:35 AM »
This followed me home yesterday.  Colt LE6940 M4 carbine.  Monolithic upper receiver, free-floating barrel, fold down front and rear sights.  I put an Aimpoint Comp ML2 sight on it.  I might end up moving that a few inches forward toward the front sight, but I just threw it on for the pic.  I've had it on an A3, but I think I'll take the opportunity to get it even farther forward.

It can keep its older brother company, an A3 flattop w/carry handle.

Here's the 600m RBUS.  All my cell phone pics are crap.  Here's some photo I grabbed off the web.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 03:31:02 AM by gryphon »

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Re: Drank the Colt Kool-Aid
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 02:55:50 AM »
Do they make drum makes for these things?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 03:30:10 AM »
Yeah.  Both SureFire and Beta make large capacity magazines.  SureFire makes 60 and 100 rd mags, and Beta makes a 100 rd. C-mag.  You can buy different versions of this, but right now Ohio Ordnance Works has the "restricted" military version for the SAW 249 with carry pouch for $199.  Not really sure why it is restricted.

http://www.ohioordnanceworks.com/EBS12_4_12.cat

These work with any AR15 platform.  I'm not sure why anyone would want a 100-rd. 5.56 NATO magazine for a hand-held weapon though.

There are a number of Beta mag youtube videos, though, if you want to check them out.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 03:37:48 AM by gryphon »

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 05:55:19 AM »
If you are interested in getting an AR15, Q, jump on it ASAP.  I think you can get a Colt 6920 for under $1K (like $989 or cheaper). I got this 6940 for $1289, but most places charge $1,500-$1,650, if you can even get them.  (Some people are actually asking $2,500 for the older LE/Mil rolled ones, but they are insane.  It is the identical firearm, just with the LE/Mil rollmark).

MPE (Michigan Police Equipment on Lansing Road just south of the Lansing Michigan State Police center) just got their Colt order in two days ago.  They probably won't have them long.

The 6940 comes with rail ladders, a nylon sling, sling swivels, two ten round magazines (yay, ten rounds), and a cleaning kit.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 06:06:52 AM by gryphon »

Offline sonicmatter

• MOC Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 06:06:26 PM »
Congrats, nice stick.

I'm just waiting on Dougie and then I'll be drinking the kool-aide myself. :-) I'm quite looking forward to joining the club.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 08:41:09 PM »
Welcome to the dark side.

All mine wear the M4LE rollmarks.

Remember...

If it's not a Colt, it's just a copy.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 08:44:10 PM »

Remember...

It's too bad you lost all of them in that boating accident.  Those colts are expensive....
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 08:46:23 PM »
It's too bad you lost all of them in that boating accident.  Those colts are expensive....

Oh yea, I forgot about that boating accident last winter while ice fishing. What a horrific tragedy.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 10:34:33 PM »

Remember...

Didn't realize AR stood for colt.   ;)

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 11:21:21 PM »
I have a 6940 and I love it.  I'd like to get another one but the online prices are crazy like you mentioned.   >:(

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 11:24:20 PM »
I have a 6940 and I love it.  I'd like to get another one but the online prices are crazy like you mentioned.   >:(

My next one is going to be the 6945.

I had the the 6940 but couldn't attach my bayonet to it. So I sold it. What good is a bayonet lug if you cant attach a bayonet?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 08:29:45 PM »

The restricted rollmark I was referring to is this one.  They don't put this on any more.  Not sure if that's what you meant as well.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 08:55:08 PM »
The restricted rollmark I was referring to is this one.  They don't put this on any more.  Not sure if that's what you meant as well.

No Griff. Mine actually have the "M4LE" rollmarks. The boxes said "M4 Carbine" not M4 style carbine." They also have the LE/military restriction markings on the reverse side of the mag well.

Offline METL

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 11:37:05 AM »
Nice stick... needs  a light.  ;)

What do you think about the magpul AFG?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 12:05:22 PM »
What do you think about the magpul AFG?

I've never used one.  The physics would seem to me it would push the gun barrel up and not offer a great grip, but people seem to like them.  For $35 I might try it just to see.  If I don't like it, I can always sell it or keep if for my (future) AR15 pistol.

Offline METL

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 12:23:46 PM »
I've never used one.  The physics would seem to me it would push the gun barrel up and not offer a great grip, but people seem to like them.  For $35 I might try it just to see.  If I don't like it, I can always sell it or keep if for my (future) AR15 pistol.

If you don't like it, I"ll buy it from you, of course, at a discounted price.     x^D

On mine, I have a stubby VFG...  I don't actually grab on to it..  but I use it more like a hand stop...  my hand ends up in the same position as the AFG anyways...     

So if you hold it like this top pic:

Might as well go to this:

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 05:12:29 PM »
No Griff. Mine actually have the "M4LE" rollmarks. The boxes said "M4 Carbine" not M4 style carbine." They also have the LE/military restriction markings on the reverse side of the mag well.

Yeah, they've changed some of that as you probably know. My rifle says M4 CARBINE CAL. 5.56MM with the LE serial number on the left hand side of the mag well.  There are no longer any LE/military restriction markings, though.  The right hand side of the mag well is blank.  My box does not say "M4 style," but I have seen some 6920 boxes that do.

Random gunbroker pic from this ad, except he's trying to sell it for $2,500.   :o

I did consider buying a BCM or DD, though, before I got this.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 05:33:20 PM by gryphon »

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 05:41:42 PM »
On mine, I have a stubby VFG...

One advantage of a VFG, though, is you could get a foregrip-bipod.  I probably won't do anything, though, except get some better rail covers, at least for now.  Troy? Magpul?

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 07:55:11 PM »
One advantage of a VFG, though, is you could get a foregrip-bipod.  I probably won't do anything, though, except get some better rail covers, at least for now.  Troy? Magpul?
I've tried several types. Settled on the ladder rails. They don't "bulk" up the rails.

Offline ken243

• MOC Member
  • Paramedic
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 09:11:28 PM »
Nice sticks. Should we start a show and tell thread? I think we all have some toys we could talk about. Might even help give people ideas on their next purchase.
Common sense, isn't.
I can't fix stupid.