Author Topic: CANCELLED: Bill of Rights dinner this Saturday, Dec. 15?  (Read 5452 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
CANCELLED: Bill of Rights dinner this Saturday, Dec. 15?
« on: December 10, 2012, 09:14:43 PM »
CANCELLED DUE TO LACK OF INTEREST

This would be (is) a last minute, just show up Lansing-area dinner.  I wouldn't expect twenty people, but maybe five or six, so no formal notice or request of the restaurant.  It wouldn't be to publicize and exercise OC so much as to celebrate and commemorate the day the Bill of Rights became law, the day they came into effect as Constitutional Amendments on December 15, 1791.

I think it would be nice to have a small get-together and even read them.  Maybe comment on them.  How do we view them today?  Would we change anything?  Or maybe there wouldn't be much to say.  Just honor the wisdom of our founding fathers (or not, depending on your viewpoint).  As a matter of fact, a table of four or six or eight can do that easier than a table of twenty or more.

Maybe this could be a simultaneous event held in several places in MI--east, central, west, north--if anyone else was interested.  But I think I'd like to do this for those in the Lansing area who were interested.

Date, Time:
Saturday, December 15, 2012, 5:00 PM

4790 South Hagadorn, Suites 114-116
E. Lansing, Mich. 48823

Adjacent to Michigan State University, just east of MSU and Hagadorn Road in the Hannah Shopping Plaza.

Map

Directions from the North, South, East, and West

Note: Pizza House serves alcohol, so only carry if you have a CPL.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 07:09:32 PM by gryphon »

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Re: Anyone interested in a Bill of Rights dinner this Saturday, Dec. 15?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 09:19:29 PM »
Same day as the PAw Paw dinner...but the west side folk can handle that :)

You didn't propose a time/place.  Would you care to do so and update your OP?  Try to pick a place not selling liquor\/licensed to do so.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 09:44:32 PM »
I was going to suggest a place that did sell alcohol like Pizza House in East Lansing (near MSU).   I didn't figure any non-CPL holders would be in attendance, and even if there were, this is not an OC event so much as a BoR event.  I'll even get us a table in the back.

Would there really be a problem with a flood of non-CPL holders?

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 10:03:40 PM »
I was going to suggest a place that did sell alcohol like Pizza House in East Lansing (near MSU).   I didn't figure any non-CPL holders would be in attendance, and even if there were, this is not an OC event so much as a BoR event.  I'll even get us a table in the back.

Would there really be a problem with a flood of non-CPL holders?

If you pick a place that sells liquor, just be sure to advise non-CPL holders to not carry in your OP.  When you decide when/where, please update the OP.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 12:47:23 AM »
I'm going to ask Venator if he wants to lead some Gangnam style dancing in the parking lot afterward.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 12:48:38 AM »
I'm going to ask Venator if he wants to lead some Gangnam style dancing in the parking lot afterward.

No details in the OP yet? :(

If you get me details I can start helping you promote it!

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 01:39:14 AM »
Updated OP.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
Re: CANCELLED: Bill of Rights dinner this Saturday, Dec. 15?
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 07:09:46 PM »
CANCELLED DUE TO LACK OF INTEREST

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 11:29:34 PM »
I never saw this posted. I check the "recent unread posts" all the time too.

Went from planned to canceled in less than a week.  :(

Maybe someone from the Western side of the state can help out planning something with you.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 04:20:57 AM »
I never saw this posted. I check the "recent unread posts" all the time too.
Not sure what that is, but each forum is listed whether of not it has new posts.  I "open up a new tab" for each one, and "open up a new tab" for each new thread.  That way I am sure not to miss anything due to web browser mistakes.
Went from planned to canceled in less than a week.
Yep.  That was the plan all along.  Just a quick Bill of Rights dinner, who would be interested?  I was going to print out each of the first ten Amendments to the Constitution and pass them out.  We would read each one aloud and then discuss them.  Some might engender many comments, some might elicit none, and that's okay.  I just wanted four or six, maybe eight at the most.  But it turned out that zero people were interested.  I guess that's okay, but in a way I am kind of sad.  To my way of thinking a BoR dinner should be more important than a simple OC dinner. But hey, no one else agreed with me, so there you go.
Maybe someone from the Western side of the state can help out planning something with you.
I don't need someone to help me coordinate events.  Phil asked me a while back to be the mid-Michigan events coordinator and I told him, "no."  I can't.  Let me tell you what my life is like.

I was supposed to be in Texas from mid-December until mid-February (then going to Bowling Green, KY until Apr. 1).  Two weeks ago I found out my Texas stay had been shortened to just all of Jan.  A couple of days ago I found out my Texas stay was eliminated altogether.  I can't plan long range events with my schedule. If you want to be a part of something I plan, it will be short notice and you need to jump on it.  If not, okay.  No hard feelings.

Months ago I had talked with my wife about seeing William Shatner in January, but I didn't buy any tickets because it was too far in advance for me.  Later I was glad I didn't because I was going to be 1,000 miles away.  Now it looks like I will be here after all so I think I am going to buy them (but will probably wait until the last minute).  Shatner has to be better than War Horse which we saw a few days ago (which wasn't bad).
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 01:47:20 AM by gryphon »