Linked Events

• City of Grand Rapids Ordinance Meeting: January 08, 2013

Author Topic: Grand Rapids City Commission Meeting Jan 8th @ 7pm  (Read 7810 times)

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
Grand Rapids City Commission Meeting Jan 8th @ 7pm
« on: December 27, 2012, 08:52:04 AM »
Jan 8th at 7pm on the 9th (top) floor of City Hall. 300 Monre Ave N.W., Grand Rapids. Feel free to park in the parking ramp under City Hall where you can get your parking validated.

This City of Grand Rapids has a few ordinances that are preempted by State law and are essentially refusing to do anything about it.

Reference this thread for more details: http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/index.php/topic,2172.0.html
Also this article: http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2012/12/how_gun-toting_visitor_tried_t.html

Schedule and Address: http://grcity.us/city-clerk/Documents/City%20Commission%20Meetings%20Annual.pdf

Please be respectful AT ALL TIMES. More and more attention is being drawn to this and one person has the ability to make us all look bad. After the last meeting an angry man made a fool of himself while Phil and I politely listened. I would like for all of us to continue this same standard. I'm sure I have nothing to worry about with this group, but I would rather not leave anything to chance.

Please allow me to present first. I'm currently working on organizing my comments to focus everyone on the actual problem; The City is in violation of State law. A lot of other stuff is entering into the conversation that is distracting from my goal; To have the City no longer be in violation of State law.

Thank you for any support.
bigt8261

P.S. - You do NOT have to be a resident of Grand Rapids to attend the meeting. However, if you plan to say something, I would include a comment or story about your visits to the city.

(Edit) P.P.S - To the best of my, the security guards', and Mayor Hartwell's knowledge, there is nothing prohibiting any form of carry within the building. A.K.A. no CPL needed for OC.

Dinner afterward at Adobe Mexican Restaurant 617 West Fulton. (Edit) 617 not 616.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 10:42:33 AM by bigt8261 »

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
Re: Grand Rapids City Commission Meeting Jan 8th @ 7pm
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 09:04:35 AM »
Could someone please add this to the events section of the FB page. Thank you very much.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 09:09:57 AM »
Could someone please add this to the events section of the FB page. Thank you very much.

We'll discuss that at the leadership meeting tonight.  Please bring it up when I ask for comments.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 09:29:39 AM »
Will do. Thanks.

(Edit) It was decided that gradually increasing the pressure on the city is the best way to go. Therefore, posting on FB and other sites will be held in reserve as a means of further increasing the pressure in the future. I attended the first meeting, TheQ and I attended the second meeting, and so far we will have even more attending the third meeting.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 09:03:08 AM by bigt8261 »

Offline fsr402

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 09:34:12 PM »
I am planning to be there. Not sure if I'll be carrying or not. If I get the CPL on the 3rd (not looking like it right now) I will but if not I'll just be there sporting a MOC shirt.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 08:29:18 AM »
Hi fsr402, looking forward to seeing you there.

I amended the OP to include a note that I do not believe a CPL is needed to carry in the building. IANAL so if you would like to carry, make sure you are responsible for your own research.

Offline Raggs

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 09:39:38 AM »
I need to bust out the camo!

Offline fsr402

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 12:20:09 PM »
Hi fsr402, looking forward to seeing you there.

I amended the OP to include a note that I do not believe a CPL is needed to carry in the building. IANAL so if you would like to carry, make sure you are responsible for your own research.

It may not be but I'm not risking it. More power to those that are willing. I'm new to this and still learning the way. 

Offline FireControl

• Nothing worth having comes without a fight
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 09:48:54 PM »
i am here in town and will recon the open carry tomorrow to see if they have it posted. and will report back in a timely manor.
The tragedy of life is what dies inside a man while he lives.

-Albert Schweitzer

Offline Ryan182

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 10:23:38 PM »
I plan on attending.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 08:29:14 AM »
Edited OP to include details of meeting for food afterward. Adobe Mexican Restaurant 617 West Fulton. (Edit) 617 not 616

See everyone tonight.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 10:42:07 AM by bigt8261 »

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 09:02:46 AM »
Edited OP to include details of meeting for food afterward. Adobe Mexican Restaurant 616 West Fulton.

See everyone tonight.

FWIW, I picked it. Don't know their liquor license status, if you don't have a CPL, I wouldn't carry unless you investigate it first. It's kind of impromptu. I didn't talk to the owner/manager first -- we might get booted ???

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 09:09:54 AM »
i am here in town and will recon the open carry tomorrow to see if they have it posted. and will report back in a timely manor.

If who has what posted?

If the city posts something, so what?

Offline fsr402

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 09:39:41 AM »
FYI the address posted came up in east town.
The real address is 617 Fulton Street West, Grand Rapids, MI

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 06:34:16 PM »
If the Adobe doesn't work out the Grand Coney is easy to get to and is open all night.  Easy to get there from city hall and easy access  to to get back on I-196.

No liquor served.  I have open carried there.  It is a "known" hang out for police: Grand Rapids, State, and Kent County.

Grand Coney
809 Michigan Street NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3523

Hours:
24 Hours, 7 Days A Week.
Phone:
616-776-5580