Author Topic: Response from Grand Rapids Mayor George Hartwell to Offer to Join Violence TF  (Read 5851 times)

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
If you don't already know, I sent a letter to Grand Rapids Mayor George Hartwell volunteering for is new gun violence task force. Here is the letter I sent:
January 22, 2013

Mayor George Hartwell
Grand Rapids, Michigan

Mayor Hartwell,

It has come to my attention that you are planning to form a “Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gun Control”, with the goal of amending State law in order to help curb violence in relation to guns. I would like to offer you sincerely and in good faith, my time, knowledge, and support to assist you in the goal of curbing all types of violence both locally and across the state.

Recently, I have seen some of your comments in the media about Local, State and Federal law that were, in some cases, grossly incorrect. It only seems proper to me for someone to approach this endeavor with as much understanding and clarity as possible.  I believe, at the very least, I am able to assist you, and your coalition, in obtaining this clarity.     

I have also reached out to numerous people in varying professions all across the State to solicit ideas on how we can curb violence without infringing upon the rights of individuals. In the hopes of getting varied responses, I not only solicited people who obey the law, I also sought the advice of those who enforce the law and those who prosecute the law. Furthermore, and I believe more importantly, I put an emphasis on those things which both sides might be able to come together behind to support. I agree with the notion that just because we can’t fix everything, doesn’t mean we should do nothing. I believe the people of Grand Rapids, as well as the rest of the State of Michigan, would only be served if we can come together and at least identify the easy and obvious.

The responses I received were numerous and varied. They ranged from adjusting penalties to enforcing existing laws differently. One individual in law enforcement expressed a particular interest in making both existing and new laws as clear as possible. His thoughts were that clarity doesn’t just help people to obey the law; it also helps law enforcement enforce the law confidently and without repercussions.

I know there are issues that we stand apart on, but that doesn’t mean we can’t, at least temporarily, set those issues aside to work in the interest of everyone else. Just because we can’t agree on everything, doesn’t mean the people should get nothing.

Sincerely,

Tom Lambert

Here is his response:
Dear Mr. Lambert,

Thank you for your offer to participate in my gun control task force.  You are correct in your assessment that the goal for this group is to amend State law in an effort to curb gun violence.  Having recently attended the US Conference of Mayors meetings in Washington, DC, I was struck by thenear-universal call for more control on guns – background checks, local regulations on registration, large capacity and automatic weapons – from mayors of America who were in attendance.  While you and I are at very different places with respect to this question I felt my position affirmed by my colleagues from every part of the country.

In offering to serve on my task force you suggested that we could, perhaps, find a middle ground.  I am not interested in finding a middle ground and I suspect – let’s be honest here – that you aren’t either.  My objective is to remove guns from government buildings and voting stations and to keep them out of the places where they are currently banned such as schools and houses of worship.  Given your clear and strongly-held position on this matter I must decline your offer of service.

We share the distinction of Eagle Scout – mine earned in 1964, with Distinguished Eagle conferred in 2005 – and I see it as a reflection on the character of America that two citizens who obviously love God and country arrive at such different places on this subject, both having all the rights and feeling all the obligations to represent our position.  Whether or not you respect my determination, I certainly respect yours. I will, however, continue to do my best to see that reasonable limits are putinto place concerning ownership and open carrying of firearms.

Sincerely,

Mayor George K. Heartwell
City of Grand Rapids
300 Monroe Ave. NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49503

Gheartwell@grcity.us
Off. (616) 456-3168

Here is what will likely be my final response on the matter:
Mayor Hartwell,

I sincerely thank you for taking the time to respond. I did not know you shared the distinction of Eagle Scout. I commend your honored distinction and share your sentiments on arriving at such different places on a subject.

I am saddened that you do not believe me when I say that I am interested in finding middle ground. I understand that we have different overall goals, but I not believe that our goals are without overlap. This is why I sought input from others on what that overlap might entail. Furthermore, I do not believe that working apart on contrasting goals precludes us from working together on common goals. After all, isn't this the very standard that we demand from our officials in Lansing and Washington?

Again, my offer is sincere, and in the interest of duty to others, it still stands should you ever change your mind. I thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,
Tom Lambert

Offline METL

A big old FU.   

As I suspected, they're not interested in your input.  They want to do WHAT they want WHEN they want HOW they want, any other people or old pieces of paper be damned.

Wow, your thoughts were reaffirmed by a bunch of anti gun people attending an anti-gun summit?   Echo-chamber much?

Moron.  He thinks everyone else feels like him because 30 or 40 people with the same sentiment got together, despite the fact there's 310 million other people.  Closed minded.  Obstinate.  IGNORANT.

I keep saying.  It's not about safety or reducing crime.

It's about:

1.) Sticking it to political rivals

2.) Control.

It doesn't have to make a grain of sense as long as it accomplished their 2 objectives of doing something they love because they know you'll hate it, and it also gives them ultimate control over the masses.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
A comment from a friend:
Did you ever see the list of mayors?  It reads like a list of places to "never visit unless you're carrying a gun". 

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
Let's see if the media picks up on this.....
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
Fresh off the presses

Grand Rapids Mayor George Heartwell on guns: 'I am not interested in finding a middle ground'
http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2013/01/grand_rapids_mayor_george_hear_18.html

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
This article was apparently the front page headline in the GR Press this weekend. More and more people are finding out about their Mayor.

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
This article was apparently the front page headline in the GR Press this weekend. More and more people are finding out about their Mayor.

Front page in Sunday's paper!

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline METL

Bahahahahaa...  that's awesome.  I don't think you could have asked for a better outcome.  What a maroon....

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
+1

Thanks Q but somehow Plus 1 just doesn't seem right for this ..... I am disappointed in the Mayor taking up his "crusade" to have laws passed that crush our God given rights that are also affirmed by the Michigan and USA constitution.

At least we are getting media attention.  We will see if it helps us or emboldens the mayor. 

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Response from Grand Rapids Mayor George Hartwell to Offer to Join Violence TF
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 09:59:33 AM »
There's no such thing as bad press...
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).