Author Topic: CC to OC question (accidental exposure)  (Read 3195 times)

Offline abrknight

CC to OC question (accidental exposure)
« on: January 30, 2013, 05:29:18 PM »
A little background...I've open carried a few times, mostly around the neighborhood for walks and things like, and realize that I may now carry openly in most PFZ's.

so I've studied pretty hard on laws re: OC and CC, but I recently got my CPL and have a question about carrying concealed and accidental exposure.

I currently carry my compact owb in a leather holster, what is the situation if my shirt rides up or the end of my holster/barrel is briefly exposed? Is it then just considered OC until I readjust?

Has anyone heard of LE's trying to BS this into something illegal, i.e. brandishing or something along those lines?

FYI, I'm aware of the AG's opinion in MSP legal update 86 for handguns openly secured in a holster, I'm just curious about this specific situation and if anyone has run into trouble.
Thanks!

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
Re: CC to OC question (accidental exposure)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 06:02:54 PM »
There are no "exposure" laws in Michigan.  Since Michigan is an open carry state if your firearm accidentally shows while you are attempting to conceal you are committing no crimes. 

Offline abrknight

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 06:05:53 PM »
That's what I thought, thank you.

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 08:13:02 PM »
You can get hassled by a LEO for almost anything, if he has a mind to. Be careful not to get into a consensual 'discussion' where he/she may be fishing for something to jam you up on.

I've personally never been given a hard time by LEOs or general population, but it helps that I look a bit like a LEO. An older, fatter LEO, perhaps......

This is around the Grand Rapids area, generally OCing everywhere (legally permitted).
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.