Author Topic: N.Y. vet arrested for 30-round magazines  (Read 5430 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
N.Y. vet arrested for 30-round magazines
« on: February 01, 2013, 09:53:33 PM »
Apparently he didn't qualify for the David Gregory exemption.

Nathan Haddad, a decorated combat veteran, was arrested earlier this month in New York for possessing unloaded 30-round magazines. Mr. Haddad, who has been recognized by the Army for his selfless acts of generosity to fellow soldiers, was charged with five felony counts of possession of “high-capacity” magazines.

“No one wants to spend 35 years in prison."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2013/feb/1/miller-ny-vet-arrested-30-round-magazines-part-1/
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 10:00:32 PM by gryphon »

Offline METL

Re: N.Y. vet arrested for 30-round magazines
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 10:35:19 AM »
Quote from: the article

According to Jefferson County Sheriff’s office sources, Mr. Haddad was in the parking lot of a closed business at 7:30 p.m. when an officer asked him what he was doing. The police allege that the Fort Drum civilian employee said that he was meeting someone to sell the AR-15 style rifle magazines. A police source also said that the magazines were stamped with the words “Restricted. For military use only.”

Yet another reason NOT to talk to the police...  even when you aren't aware you are violating the law.  Cops ask what you are doing, you say "am I being detained?" then you get the hell out of there.  If that fails, then "I"m am not interested in discussing my itinerary"  "I do not consent to searches or seizures"  "I am not interested in conversing with you"   

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 10:39:01 AM »
AT least it wasn't DC.  That would have been -- ironic.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Raggs

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 02:03:49 PM »
With everything in the news out of NY how did he not know? however it is a stupid law.

Yet another reason NOT to talk to the police...  even when you aren't aware you are violating the law.  Cops ask what you are doing, you say "am I being detained?" then you get the hell out of there.  If that fails, then "I"m am not interested in discussing my itinerary"  "I do not consent to searches or seizures"  "I am not interested in conversing with you"   

Offline METL

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 04:37:04 PM »
With everything in the news out of NY how did he not know? however it is a stupid law.

I thought they had a year to get rid of their "high cap" mags...   maybe I was wrong...    Either way, it's BS.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 04:55:30 PM »
I believe everything over ten rounds was already illegal.  The new law reduces it from ten to seven rounds.

The main reason to carry .40S&W or 9mm is extra magazine capacity.  If everyone is reduced to seven rounds, many will be migrating to .45ACP carry weapons.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 09:08:25 PM »
I believe everything over ten rounds was already illegal.  The new law reduces it from ten to seven rounds.

The main reason to carry .40S&W or 9mm is extra magazine capacity.  If everyone is reduced to seven rounds, many will be migrating to .45ACP carry weapons.

Yep.  I carry 9mm for capacity and I feel it'll be effective (please, let's not start a caliber holy war).  If I'm restricted to the number of rounds I can carry, I'll only carry larger calibers.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 12:05:26 AM »
  If I'm restricted to the number of rounds I can carry, I'll only carry larger calibers.

This will make John Moses Browning smile.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 12:36:34 AM »
This will make John Moses Browning smile.
Didn't he pass away recently?
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 12:46:19 AM »
Didn't he pass away recently?
How would that create a problem?

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 06:11:53 PM »
How would that create a problem?

Obviously its because no one will be around to continue his work

Offline .40 Cal

• MOC Member
  • Flat Rock, Michigan
  • First Name (Displayed): John
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 02:35:30 PM »
Yep.  I carry 9mm for capacity and I feel it'll be effective (please, let's not start a caliber holy war).  If I'm restricted to the number of rounds I can carry, I'll only carry larger calibers.

No war necessary... Gang bangers prove consistantly that 9mm is indeed an effective round. Besides round is not important if you hit a vital organ... Head; heart; etc...

Either way I'd be out of New York so fast if I lived there. What the sheep have allowed/demanded is beyond comprehention to me. I would not wish this on anyone; however I can't help but think wouldn't it be interesting if criminals flooded to New York in droves and started picking off defenseless sheep. Hummmmm....
I carry a firearm because their are real threats in the world and when seconds count; the Police are minutes away!