Author Topic: Open Carry at OAKWOOD main in Dearborn.  (Read 4128 times)

Offline MrMike40Cal

Open Carry at OAKWOOD main in Dearborn.
« on: February 20, 2013, 08:35:57 AM »
I went to Oakwood Hospital (Main) in Dearborn yesterday later afternoon. As always, I was Open Carrying my firearm was on the side of my hip. Keep in mind that this about my 5th time there doing this. Just as we was asking the ladies at the info desk where the persons we was going room was at, a security personal named ( Alex) walked up to me and said Sir, you are carrying a gun. I told him yes I am and that I'm Open Carrying. Then he stated we don't allow guns here and ask if I had a permit. I told him yes (meaning once you legally purchase I hand gun that's your permit to carry openly). What he really wanted was my I.D.  I told him that I'm doing nothing wrong and was not giving him my I.D.  Then he called the head of Security/Police Lt. Mike W. on his radio tell me that he needed him to come to his location. After a couple of attempts the Security guy (Alex) said let just walk to his off its just right here. I said ok. When I was introduced to the man (Mike) he told me that only if I was a police officer that I was allowed to have a gun there. He then stated that he know Michigan's laws about Open Carry that the Hospital rules at Oakwood Main is no guns. He also told me just put it back in your car then come back in. I told him ok I understand all that I also Open Carryed at another Oakwood Hospital (South Shore) in Trenton and never had a problem. He told me that every hospitals different. After all this, he shook my hand and said that you Sir. I also said that you. He was a very nice guy and handle his business professionally. Even the older guy Alex, was cool I think he was just more scared if anything. So here you have it another Hospital incident for me. Stay turn I'm sure there will be more to come!

Offline Jhorenka

Re: Open Carry at OAKWOOD main in Dearborn.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 02:29:07 AM »
Mr. Mke - (Correction) You may take a gun into a hospital with a CPL open carry.

I am not a lawyer...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 03:46:01 AM by Jhorenka »

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 02:51:19 AM »
Mr. Mke - You may not take a gun into a hospital with or without a CPL open carry or otherwise.

I am not a lawyer...

You may want to reread the laws again: Open Carry in a hospital is quite legal if you have a valid CPL. Same with schools, bars, entertainment facilities, etc. Please read the laws before posting incorrect information. Especially for your first post.

Here is the law:

750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
Sec. 234d.

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:

(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.

(b) A church or other house of religious worship.

(c) A court.

(d) A theatre.

(e) A sports arena.

(f) A day care center.

(g) A hospital.

(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.

(b) A peace officer.

(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

(d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 02:57:01 AM by Ezerharden »
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline Jhorenka

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 03:42:32 AM »
OOoops.  I stand corrected.  After I posted that I went back and double checked and intended to correct this before anyone noticed...

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 10:19:58 AM »
It happens  ;)
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.