Author Topic: Open Carry in Pistol free zones with CPL  (Read 3968 times)

Offline chchchscott

Open Carry in Pistol free zones with CPL
« on: March 19, 2013, 03:34:25 PM »
I'm new to this. I went thru a CPL class a couple weeks ago. and I've seen the MI Open Carry 9 part seminar on YouTube. It seems that Pistol Free zones only apply to Concealed pistols or Non-licensed open carry. If this is true I have two questions:

1) Where in the MI Firearms act do I find this?  I read thru Act 372 of 1927 and it does state areas i cannot Conceal carry (28.425o). But i feel like I'm missing something.

2) Where are the Places I (as a CPL holder) cannot open carry?

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
Re: Open Carry in Pistol free zones with CPL
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 03:58:20 PM »
MCL 750.243d lists places that you cannot posses a firearm, UNLESS you have a CPL. Sounds like you're getting your CPL, so this won't apply to you.

MCL 28.425o lists places that you cannot CONCEAL a pistol.

In general, laws prohibit. Therefore, that which is not prohibited by law is legal. Yes there is no law permitting OC in PFZs, but there is also no law prohibiting it. Good luck finding a law that permits something. Usually an exemption is added to a law that "permits", but it's really just exempting from a prohibition.

I'm going to leave part 2 for someone else to answer.

(Edit) Welcome!

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 04:01:25 PM »
Because you are new to this I recommend spending a good amount of time reading. A good start is : http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/index.php/topic,25.0.html . I don't want to come off as a jerk, but read, read and read again it is too easy for me or anyone else to miss something when just giving an answer to your questions.

Also, I'm sure someone may chime in with a quick response that will offer assistance to you. But, read, read, read.
Tom

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 04:08:20 PM »
I like TucTom's response better. There is lots to know and it's often hard to keep straight.

Offline chchchscott

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 04:56:21 PM »
thanks for the repays. ive read the law front to back twice. (Ugh what a nightmare to read legalize!) and ive spend a few hours going over certain parts many times. Ive also been reading everything I can on MI Open Carry. And I saw a lot of YouTube stuff about it (that's NOT a good place to learn law. a lot of bad info). but ill keep reading every link I can get my hands on.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Open Carry in Pistol free zones with CPL
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 05:01:58 PM »
thanks for the repays. ive read the law front to back twice. (Ugh what a nightmare to read legalize!) and ive spend a few hours going over certain parts many times. Ive also been reading everything I can on MI Open Carry. And I saw a lot of YouTube stuff about it (that's NOT a good place to learn law. a lot of bad info). but ill keep reading every link I can get my hands on.

Be sure to google and read "MSP legal update 86" -- quite informative.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).