Author Topic: Hello from Lansing area  (Read 3803 times)

xerxescct

Hello from Lansing area
« on: April 01, 2013, 07:40:38 PM »
Hello everyone.

My name is Sean and I am very new to Open Carry. I am also new to owning a pistol. In these times my family made the decision to protect ourselves as law abiding citizens from those who choose to do harm on others. I have been following the Facebook page for a little while now and have already had a pleasant experience in asking a question about keeping my shirt down during conceal carry. Everyone is helpful, educated, and far from the warmonger some would make us out to be.

I am interested in becoming more involved in the activities of this group. Possibly even work into some kind of event coordinator for the cause. My only goal is to educate those who are unaware of the laws of the state regarding open carry. In this I can tell you a true story.

I was at work, currently in retail, about a year ago. An open carry advocate came in the store and was shopping like any other customer would but they were carrying a pistol openly. I had heard that the police showed and had the man leave at the request of the duty manager at the time. My thoughts when I heard this was:

"Oh my god! He carried a gun in here? What an idiot!"
"He is probably sitting in jail which is good!"
"Maybe he was drunk and stupid!"
"To think he could have pulled his gun on anyone... even me!"

No one at the store was educated including myself about the laws of open carry. If I had known then what I know now I would have had a different attitude and would have at least educated my co workers on those laws and rights. Since I was in the shoes of the majority who do not understand the laws I know the feelings that most have about open carry. I also know that my own feelings have changed because I became educated thanks to this group. If I am successful in educating at least one person in my lifetime to the point where they no longer fear open carry then I feel I will have paid it forward.

At any rate I look forward to being a member of this group and a contributor to the education of open carry.

Sean Guilford

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Hello from Lansing area
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 09:23:47 PM »
Welcome, from Lansing's Colonial Village.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline harleyh77

• First Name (Displayed): Steve
Re: Hello from Lansing area
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 09:24:52 PM »
Welcome from Kalamazoo
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life" -Robert A. Heinlein

Offline lljj

• MOC Member
  • Peter had a sword I have a 45 be blessed
  • First Name (Displayed): jacob
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 01:18:59 AM »
Welcome from eastpointe
open carrying for life can't steal my freedom

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 02:09:59 AM »
Welcome from Erie
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline FASBOLD

• First Name (Displayed): Larry
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 09:39:36 AM »
Welcome from Vicksburg.
"The people of these United States are the rightful masters of both Congresses and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
~ Abraham Lincoln
"Too young to die, too old to take an ass whippin'."
~ Unknown

Offline RnSdriver

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 10:52:44 AM »
Welcome from Fruitport.
I prefer Liberty and Danger over peace and slavery.