Author Topic: Plan to attend OC event but have questions  (Read 7210 times)

xerxescct

Plan to attend OC event but have questions
« on: April 01, 2013, 08:07:21 PM »
Hello all. I am very new to Open Carry and owning a pistol so I apologize if these questions have been asked several times or are stupid.

I plan on attending the Moms Demand Action at the State capital on April 13th in support of Open Carry. This will be my very first event to attend and quite frankly I am a bit nervous and unsure about what to expect. I know it sounds weird but I am hoping this discussion will clear my doubts and fears and I will be able to support the cause effectively.

1. I do not currently have a CPL. Therefor I assume I must transport the weapon unloaded in the trunk of my car till I arrive at the meeting point of the march. Will I then be able to load the weapon and holster it?

2. Same for the return trip. Do I unload the weapon and store it in the trunk before leaving for home?

3. I am actually a shy person so im not one to walk up to anyone and introduce myself or carry on a conversation with a stranger. Is this the type of event where we just walk, stand, and observe or do we take the time to talk about the cause, talk about guns, holsters, or other carry and gun related topics? In other words will we also be "shooting the breeze" with each other?

4. Can I photograph, or shoot video for the purpose of posting such on Youtube? I have my own Youtube account with a tad less than 100 subscribers and would like to post my experiences during my first event.

5. I am researching, but still mostly unaware of the details to the laws pertaining to open carry. I do not want to get myself in a situation where I am asked about open carry and not know the answers or am confronted by law enforcement and asked to do things such as identify myself. During this march will I be subject to any of these situations and if so will others be willing to help me with those such situations?

6. What is generally done at these counter marches? Do I just walk and stand still? Do I wave my arms? Do I look at the ground? I am just unsure at this point.

7. How long do such events typically last?

My goal is to be effective during the march and not look like a fool. I am only looking to do what is appropriate for the occasion and educate myself so that I may be able to participate in future events. I am sorry if this post is too long with too many questions but I would feel more comfortable being aware before just showing up. If you feel I should not go until I am more educated then I understand.

Thank you again.

Sean

Offline FASBOLD

• First Name (Displayed): Larry
Re: Plan to attend OC event but have questions
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 11:09:50 PM »
Welcome.

There are no stupid questions.

At these public gatherings we strive to be respectful and responsible citizens who practice good firearm safety. We leave the place cleaner than we found it.

1. I do not currently have a CPL. Therefor I assume I must transport the weapon unloaded in the trunk of my car till I arrive at the meeting point of the march. Will I then be able to load the weapon and holster it?

2. Same for the return trip. Do I unload the weapon and store it in the trunk before leaving for home?
   Without a CPL you must be very careful. You may not posess a firearm in the passenger compartment of a car. You may remove it from the trunk then load and holster it, then reverse the process. It is very easy to do something wrong, and if you get caught can lose some or all of your firearms rights.
   To open carry you will want a retention holster, something with a strap, snap, catch, etc. that prevents a malicious person from taking your gun.

3. I am actually a shy person so im not one to walk up to anyone and introduce myself or carry on a conversation with a stranger. Is this the type of event where we just walk, stand, and observe or do we take the time to talk about the cause, talk about guns, holsters, or other carry and gun related topics? In other words will we also be "shooting the breeze" with each other?
   We talk about all kinds of things from our guns, to the weather, to sports, etc.

4. Can I photograph, or shoot video for the purpose of posting such on Youtube? I have my own Youtube account with a tad less than 100 subscribers and would like to post my experiences during my first event.
   You may photograph or audio record or video record any public place in Michigan. If you are a party to a conversation, you can record it witout consent of any others involved.

5. I am researching, but still mostly unaware of the details to the laws pertaining to open carry. I do not want to get myself in a situation where I am asked about open carry and not know the answers or am confronted by law enforcement and asked to do things such as identify myself. During this march will I be subject to any of these situations and if so will others be willing to help me with those such situations?
   The capitol police will be watching for trouble, but know we aren't the problem. If you don't do anything illegal, you won't have a problem. They know that we are there expressing our rights, and that we are very appreciative of their jobs and support them. I chat with them a bit if it is before things get started, and thank them for what they do, etc.
   Review the beginners information. I still refer to it to clarify some things.

6. What is generally done at these counter marches? Do I just walk and stand still? Do I wave my arms? Do I look at the ground? I am just unsure at this point.
   From my perspective, I try to engage people in conversation and be respectful. I stick to the facts and don't get sucked in by their ad hominems and other irrelevant statements. I try to correct where I can, etc.

From start to finish usually 2-4 hours, but they vary depending upon attendance, scheduled speakers, etc.

It's ok to be shy and not be a talker. Just your presence at these rallies says a lot.

If things work out, I plan to be there.
"The people of these United States are the rightful masters of both Congresses and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
~ Abraham Lincoln
"Too young to die, too old to take an ass whippin'."
~ Unknown

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 08:11:59 AM »
+1 to what FASBOLD said. Great response.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 09:05:07 AM »
Hello all. I am very new to Open Carry and owning a pistol so I apologize if these questions have been asked several times or are stupid.

I plan on attending the Moms Demand Action at the State capital on April 13th in support of Open Carry. This will be my very first event to attend and quite frankly I am a bit nervous and unsure about what to expect. I know it sounds weird but I am hoping this discussion will clear my doubts and fears and I will be able to support the cause effectively.

My goal is to be effective during the march and not look like a fool. I am only looking to do what is appropriate for the occasion and educate myself so that I may be able to participate in future events. I am sorry if this post is too long with too many questions but I would feel more comfortable being aware before just showing up. If you feel I should not go until I am more educated then I understand.

Thank you again.

Sean

1. First reply handled this well.
2. First reply handled this well.
3. First reply handled this well.
4. First reply handled this well.
5. I'll be at the counter-protest and you can refer and questions to the bald man.
6. We plan to meet 1.5 blocks south of the capitol and march to it.  We will be standing on the sidewalk.  You could consider making your own sign supporting the second amendment to carry.  Please try to avoid signs that disparage the other side, as such signs could be used against us by the media.
7. The moms plan to meet between 11 AM and noon.  I am sure there will be a spur of the moment gathering announced at the counter-rally for those who would like to go eat afterward.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 10:33:25 AM »
If the wife and I can make it up, she plans to make a sign that says "Not all moms are against guns".
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

xerxescct

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 10:44:28 AM »
Thank you all for the fast and informative responses.

One thing still bothers me.

Without a CPL you must be very careful. You may not posess a firearm in the passenger compartment of a car. You may remove it from the trunk then load and holster it, then reverse the process. It is very easy to do something wrong, and if you get caught can lose some or all of your firearms rights.    

You say it is very easy to do something wrong. It will take me at least a few seconds from the time I load a clip to the time I get the gun into my holster. During that time am I considered to be brandishing? I would assume not but you say getting caught will have me lose my rights. I would rather not risk it.

Otherwise everything looks simple. I really look forward to meeting some nice people. I am shy but want to be involved and help in any way I can.

Thank You

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 10:55:31 AM »
You say it is very easy to do something wrong.

Someone once tried to be courteous of his surroundings.  He decided to sit down in the passenger compartment of his car, after open carrying and take his gun off while sitting in his car -- to be more discreet.  He was about to encase it to put it in his trunk when a cop approached the vehicle....

He was charged with a felony.

Please don't sit in your vehicle at all while you are armed. (without a CPL).

Offline Donut

• First Name (Displayed): Donut
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 01:18:31 PM »
From what I have been told do not in any way shape or form enter your viechle with the gun loaded, it can't be in our posession. If it's raining do everything outside. keep amo away and in a diferent part of the viechle. I've heard of one that just climed in his seat and was caught and he may never see his CPL because of that one insident.

I'm also new at this so if I am wrong please correct me.
Doug

Offline harleyh77

• First Name (Displayed): Steve
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 01:57:16 PM »
I was also concerned about loading and holstering in public. I may carry at the events now.i just figured I would have to wait for my cpl. My holster does not have a securement strap. Is the strap absolutely required?
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life" -Robert A. Heinlein

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 03:02:33 PM »
I was also concerned about loading and holstering in public. I may carry at the events now.i just figured I would have to wait for my cpl. My holster does not have a securement strap. Is the strap absolutely required?

Required by law? No

Good idea if you don't want to get shot with your own gun? Definitely!

What type of handgun you plan to OC? (Make/Model)

xerxescct

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 03:26:54 PM »
Someone once tried to be courteous of his surroundings.  He decided to sit down in the passenger compartment of his car, after open carrying and take his gun off while sitting in his car -- to be more discreet.  He was about to encase it to put it in his trunk when a cop approached the vehicle....

He was charged with a felony.

Please don't sit in your vehicle at all while you are armed. (without a CPL).

OK so bottom line is lock the vehicle and never enter it again until I have disarmed myself and the gun is in the trunk. Can I keep a loaded clip with me inside the passenger compartment? I want to be absolutely sure that I dont do something that some over zealous cop will take me in for. 

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 03:50:06 PM »
Thank you all for the fast and informative responses.

One thing still bothers me.

You say it is very easy to do something wrong. It will take me at least a few seconds from the time I load a clip to the time I get the gun into my holster. During that time am I considered to be brandishing? I would assume not but you say getting caught will have me lose my rights. I would rather not risk it.

Otherwise everything looks simple. I really look forward to meeting some nice people. I am shy but want to be involved and help in any way I can.

Thank You

The actual time it takes to load your magazine, chamber a round and holster take very little time and can be done unnoticed. Be aware of your surroundings and you should have little to no issues.
I wouldn't worry about brandishing as long as you keep it simple. Do what you need to do to put your weapon in a legal holstered state as quickly and in a SAFE manner.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 04:12:25 PM »
OK so bottom line is lock the vehicle and never enter it again until I have disarmed myself and the gun is in the trunk. Can I keep a loaded clip with me inside the passenger compartment? I want to be absolutely sure that I dont do something that some over zealous cop will take me in for.

CLIP? You bringing an M1?

Yes, you may keep a loaded MAGAZINE in the car, but I'd suggest you keep it in the center console -- out of plain sight.

Offline harleyh77

• First Name (Displayed): Steve
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 05:08:30 PM »
Required by law? No

Good idea if you don't want to get shot with your own gun? Definitely!

What type of handgun you plan to OC? (Make/Model)

Smith & wessen mp 40
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life" -Robert A. Heinlein

xerxescct

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 05:15:07 PM »
CLIP? You bringing an M1?

Yes, you may keep a loaded MAGAZINE in the car, but I'd suggest you keep it in the center console -- out of plain sight.

I guess that's my mid 90's Junior High street talk still barking. I will keep an eye out for a bald guy and hopefully be able to enjoy the march without incident.

Thanks again

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 06:34:38 PM »
Smith & wessen mp 40

Get the Safariland ALS. Buying the ALS guard is a nice add-on.