Author Topic: CPL requirements  (Read 19065 times)

Offline spdrmnfn

• First Name (Displayed): Joe B
CPL requirements
« on: April 08, 2013, 01:49:14 PM »
Can someone answer the question of requirements if you have a CPL and you are pulled over by the police.  My understanding is that you have to tell the officer that you do have a CPL, but do you have to state whether you have a gun in the car or not?  My concern would be if coming home after drinking, not being drunk, and getting pulled over and I state to the officer that I have a CPL but I am not carrying any guns at this time.  Does this give him right to be suspicious and give him the right to search the car or inquire for anything more than what they are able to ask for if I would not have the CPL?   I currently do not have a CPL and just trying to gather as much information and answer questions that I can before deciding if getting one is the right thing for me.

Thanks

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
CPL requirements
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 02:38:32 PM »
Hi.

MCL 28.425f says you only have to disclose if you meet both of the following:

1. You have a CPL
2. You are currently carrying under the authority of your CPL.

You have no legal duty to disclose anything at any other time. Should you? That's a topic for debate that is beyond the scope of your original question -- it's a personal decision.

As for me, it'd probably depend on the situation.

HTH.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
Re: CPL requirements
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 02:38:40 PM »
-If you have a CPL AND you are "carrying" (have a firearm in the passenger compartment) then you shall immediately disclose to the officer that you have a CPL and you are carrying.

-If you do not have a CPL or you are not "carrying" then no such duty exists.

-If you do not have a CPL but you are "carry" (in your car) then you are breaking the law.

Now, even if you do not have the duty to disclose, many including my self, will recommend that it is still best policy to disclose to the officer that you have a CPL, but are not "carrying".

I hope that straightens things out. Feel free to post any follow questions that you may have.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 05:36:43 PM »
I will only disclosed when I am carrying. The law is clear.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

xerxescct

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 08:17:44 PM »
I thought if the officer runs your plate, assuming you are the registered owner of the vehicle, they are able to tell from that you have a CPL. Maybe I am wrong about that.

When I get my CPL I will not be carrying to and from work as my employer does not allow employees to have weapons on the property. So if I get pulled over in this situation I will still provide my papers for good measure.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
Re: Re: CPL requirements
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 08:57:53 PM »
I thought if the officer runs your plate, assuming you are the registered owner of the vehicle, they are able to tell from that you have a CPL. Maybe I am wrong about that.

When I get my CPL I will not be carrying to and from work as my employer does not allow employees to have weapons on the property. So if I get pulled over in this situation I will still provide my papers for good measure.

Why would empower them to expect you to show papers when it is not required? That just makes it harder for other folks.

Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
CPL requirements
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 11:09:53 PM »

When the officer pulls you over, he runs the plate. That doesn't tell him you that you have a CPL.

Many agencies as a matter of SOP run the registered owner through LEIN before the officer approaches, that's when your CPL pops up.

Offline 32_d3gr33s

• First Name (Displayed): Anthony
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 12:16:48 AM »
side question, if you are a passenger in a stopped vehicle, do you have to disclose? or only the the driver of the vehicle?
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

I shoot first... its better to give than to receive

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 02:26:19 AM »
You are required to disclose as a passenger as well.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline WilDChilD

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 07:18:27 AM »
Cite?
I wasnt the one stopped the driver was.

xerxescct

Re: Re: CPL requirements
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 09:33:18 AM »
Why would empower them to expect you to show papers when it is not required? That just makes it harder for other folks.

I'm sorry but that's how I feel. I am not empowering anyone. A little courtesy goes a long way especially when you may be ticketed for speeding or whatnot. That's my opinion, you have yours. I am not forcing anyone here or anywhere to show papers. I am not marching down to the capital as a pro paper shower. I dont feel that simply showing a paper to an officer, required or not, give them the ability to force it on others. The officer takes your drivers licence, proof, and registration with him, whats one more paper?

Again, my opinion, my feelings, and my way of doing things.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 09:56:26 AM »
Let's keep in mind, that based on the OP, the scope of our conversation is constrained to when one is in a car and has been pulled over.

To me, this means RAS already exists for something. Personally, I am going to go out of my way to be courteous in this situation. That doesn't mean I'm going to give up any rights, that just means I'm going to be as polite and courteous as possible. Obviously this is just my opinion and as long as you are not "carrying", you are free to do as you wish.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
CPL requirements
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 11:46:36 AM »
Let's keep in mind, that based on the OP, the scope of our conversation is constrained to when one is in a car and has been pulled over.

To me, this means RAS already exists for something. Personally, I am going to go out of my way to be courteous in this situation. That doesn't mean I'm going to give up any rights, that just means I'm going to be as polite and courteous as possible. Obviously this is just my opinion and as long as you are not "carrying", you are free to do as you wish.

I think post #2 says it best.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 12:04:11 PM »
I think post #2 says it best.

I agree.

BTW, it would be post #3 if you hadn't ninjaed me by 8 seconds.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
CPL requirements
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 04:38:49 PM »
When you go beyond what is required by the law you tend to give police the impression it is ok to expect everyone to do so. IMOP

You can be polite and respectful without telling the police everything you know. For example do you tell the police where you are going to or coming from if they ask?

I think the bigger issue here is the OP needs to watch the video on why NOT to talk to the police. Something you think is innocent and polite could backfire on you. Going beyond what is required by the law in one area tends to lead to doing so in other areas and that can lead to problems. Again IMOP

Offline WilDChilD

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 04:47:18 PM »
Does anybody have a cite for this or is it BS?

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
CPL requirements
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 04:51:55 PM »
When you go beyond what is required by the law you tend to give police the impression it is ok to expect everyone to do so. IMOP

You can be polite and respectful without telling the police everything you know. For example do you tell the police where you are going to or coming from if they ask?

I think the bigger issue here is the OP needs to watch the video on why NOT to talk to the police. Something you think is innocent and polite could backfire on you. Going beyond what is required by the law in one area tends to lead to doing so in other areas and that can lead to problems. Again IMOP

For reference:

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 08:53:53 PM »
Does anybody have a cite for this or is it BS?

While I don't have statute or case law to point to, I do know that a MCRGO weekly update written by Steve Dulan (lawyer), said yes you qualify as having been stopped too. It may not be concrete, but I'm going with that until I see something else.

(Edit) Lookie what I found http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=i8xaoxbab&v=001qwhULkbmHDuLgr_3K_AEac-JTI24AwQN83DlZuUdhsSm-gRUB4t6Rk-Oo-N91GzFWvQBcUwEyULLDeci5n3jnFGQwcpwHNZSwqtrlC3ctkY%3D

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 09:03:57 PM »
I believe it is a court ruling that everyone in a vehicle is stopped. I don't have the case number at my fingertips.....

Offline 32_d3gr33s

• First Name (Displayed): Anthony
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 01:54:24 AM »
While I don't have statute or case law to point to, I do know that a MCRGO weekly update written by Steve Dulan (lawyer), said yes you qualify as having been stopped too. It may not be concrete, but I'm going with that until I see something else.

(Edit) Lookie what I found http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=i8xaoxbab&v=001qwhULkbmHDuLgr_3K_AEac-JTI24AwQN83DlZuUdhsSm-gRUB4t6Rk-Oo-N91GzFWvQBcUwEyULLDeci5n3jnFGQwcpwHNZSwqtrlC3ctkY%3D

Thanks for that!  Very helpful!
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

I shoot first... its better to give than to receive