Author Topic: This would be a good thing here  (Read 2738 times)

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
This would be a good thing here
« on: May 16, 2013, 09:18:13 PM »
I know this isn't South Carolina but it would be nice if we could do the same.

South Carolina Lawmaker Aims to Expand State’s ‘Unorganized Militia’ to Protect Gun Rights

"Senate Bill 247 states: “Any able-bodied citizen of the state who is over 17 years of age and can legally purchase a firearm is deemed a member of the South Carolina Unorganized Militia, unless he is already a member of the National Guard or the organized militia not in National Guard Service.”

By expanding the “unorganized militia” to include virtually everyone except for criminals and the mentally ill, Corbin is protecting their Constitutional right to keep and bear arms because under state law “the unorganized militia may not fall under any law or regulation or jurisdiction of any person or entity outside of South Carolina,” which includes the federal government."

http://www.guns.com/2013/05/16/south-carolina-lawmaker-wants-to-expand-states-unorganized-militia-to-protect-gun-rights/
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: This would be a good thing here
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 09:59:48 PM »
Would that in effect void all the fed firearms laws?  The Missouri legislature just did that with a veto-proof majority, so even if Gov. Nixon vetoes it they'll override his veto.  Their new law nullifies all fed firearms laws in the state including the 1968 ban and the 1932 NFA.  It also provides penalties for any state or local law enforcement who attempt to enforce any fed firearms laws or assist the fed with trying to enforce them.

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
Re: This would be a good thing here
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 01:28:07 AM »
I don't think so. It states that people could possess any fire arm, and accessories that could be legally purchased as of Dec 31, 2012.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
This would be a good thing here
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 10:23:49 AM »

Would that in effect void all the fed firearms laws?  The Missouri legislature just did that with a veto-proof majority, so even if Gov. Nixon vetoes it they'll override his veto.  Their new law nullifies all fed firearms laws in the state including the 1968 ban and the 1932 NFA.  It also provides penalties for any state or local law enforcement who attempt to enforce any fed firearms laws or assist the fed with trying to enforce them.

Don't assume they'll override it, especially if the Governor is from their party. I know many republican legislators in Michigan who would vote for a bill and then cower away from an override vote. They are counting on the Governor to go campaign with them come election time.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).