Author Topic: OC Holsters.  (Read 6550 times)

Offline Jeff

OC Holsters.
« on: June 20, 2013, 04:57:42 PM »
What holsters do you guys use?  All I have right now is a Fobus paddle holster that I bought because it was cheap and people said they liked them.

I never see anybody using them in any videos I watch so I am just curious what you guys use.

I have a Glock 19 if that helps anyone.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: OC Holsters.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 05:22:31 PM »
I have Safariland SLS and Blackhawk CQC holsters for OC. (Some people don't like Blackhawks).  Others here use Safariland ALS holsters.  All three are available for your Glock.  I also have a Safariland 5181 for one pistol, but it doesn't have active retention.  I prefer OC holsters with active retention, Level II or III.

You can buy all of those mail order for very reasonable prices.

When I carried my .45 CC, I used a Crossbreed.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
OC Holsters.
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 06:02:59 PM »
I use a SafariLand ALS.

I think it's important to have a holster with some kind of active retention -- especially if you have no specific retention training.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Jeff

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 06:17:36 PM »
Thank you for the replies, I will look those up.

I do plan to take some retention and advanced pistol classes.  The place I took my CPL course at has those classes but I am a bit leery to take another class from that instructor.

My current holster has some retention but probably not good enough, it's just sort of clipped in by the trigger guard with no other means of retention.  I had a friend try to take it from me from behind once and he had trouble but I could easily take it from somebody knowing how it needs to be pulled out.

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 06:55:13 PM »
I prefer the release mechanisms on the SLS like the 6280, 6285, 6287 but they don't auto-lock or ride as high/canted as the  ALS 6377/8 that most of the guys use.  I had a 6377 for my 1911 and didn't care for the small release button or having to push it backwards instead of forward to release the gun from the holster.  I use a 6280 for my FNP9 and am considering a 6287 for my FNS9 so it will ride a bit higher as the low slung 6280 is a little awkward when seated in a car.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 11:47:09 PM »
Wow, they make so many holsters.

Thanks for the input guys I really appreciate it.

Sadly I am the most knowledgeable person I know regarding firearms and accessories and am pretty much limited to youtube and forums.

I know I am not a "member" yet but I do appreciate all the help you guys give me with my random questions.  It is actually kind of rare to find people willing to spend the time helping me instead of just sending me to "google".  I do try to find things on my own and often I do, but sometimes I like to ask questions and get some replies and you guys always deliver.

I hope to one day meet some of you at an event that I am able to participate in.

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
OC Holsters.
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 12:13:33 AM »
I carry a Glock in a Blackhawk Serpa.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 12:55:16 AM »
I carry a Glock 22 in a Fobus paddle holster. However I also have retention training as well.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 03:49:38 AM »
I know I am not a "member" yet but I do appreciate all the help you guys give me with my random questions.  It is actually kind of rare to find people willing to spend the time helping me instead of just sending me to "google".
Not here.  We are helpful.  You can even contact me in person if you wish:

Dan Griffin
2049 Tamarack Drive
Okemos, MI 48864
248-343-9782 (cell)

Offline dmd7765

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Dave
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 05:23:46 PM »
I have a Kydex from Sheppard Concealment, he can be found on FB
molon labe!!
MOC Member
MGO Member

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 09:36:35 PM »
I have a Kydex from Sheppard Concealment, he can be found on FB

Most of his holsters don't have active retention and I was less than impressed with the images I saw of his retention holsters.

Offline Bronson

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 02:25:25 AM »
My holster has a thumb break.  Old technology that is pretty reliable.  I also have some retention training.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline harleyh77

• First Name (Displayed): Steve
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 12:47:22 PM »
I use a blackhawck serpa duty level III. I went with blackhawk because are modular with many mounting platforms. The holster can be attached to a paddle, high ride belt, 2 inch drop loop, shoulder, and thigh rig. There is also a quick release that allows you to easily change platforms without having to remove screws. But of course these are all extras that must be purchased seperately.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life" -Robert A. Heinlein

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 05:15:52 PM »
I use a blackhawck serpa duty level III. I went with blackhawk because are modular with many mounting platforms. The holster can be attached to a paddle, high ride belt, 2 inch drop loop, shoulder, and thigh rig. There is also a quick release that allows you to easily change platforms without having to remove screws. But of course these are all extras that must be purchased seperately.

Most Safariland holsters are modular in the same way with a wide variety of accessories.