Author Topic: New Open Carry Proponent  (Read 4619 times)

Offline faldain

New Open Carry Proponent
« on: July 02, 2013, 12:16:28 PM »
Hey Guys- I live near Lansing, and have been open carrying around here for about 6-8 months. After Sandy Hook, I decided that I needed to get more involved and more proactive in protecting my children and protecting our rights. I love the dialogue that often comes from open carrying, and have only had one comfrontation (apart from my sister in law lol)

I was at a baseball tournament in Holland about a month ago, openly carrying my CZ40B on my side. I have done this at all my son's baseball tournaments, and his teammates parents weren't too thrilled initially. As I got up to get a hot dog, I was approached by one of the city workers and asked if i was a Public Safety officer. I was kind of taken aback, and responded no. He then informed me that "we don't allow people to carry those around here". I knew that it was a public park, and therefore I was allowed by law, but I didn't really want to cause a scene. I told him that i know what the state law is, and he responded with something about calling the police. We were surrounded by families, so i asked to to step over so i could speak to him privately. I then informed him, with a smile and nice tone- "Look, I know the laws extensively. I am here to watch a baseball game, and enjoy a hot dog. The gun is on my hip to protect my little boy over there, and all the other children here. I am not here to cause trouble. Do you really have a problem with that? His answer----- "No sir- have a nice day".

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
New Open Carry Proponent
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 12:35:56 PM »
Sounds like a great experience. Welcome to our forum!

Are you on our mailing list, by chance?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline faldain

Re: New Open Carry Proponent
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 02:08:21 PM »
I am a new member (signed up at the Capitol Rally) Does that mean I am on the mailing list?

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 02:43:42 PM »
I am a new member (signed up at the Capitol Rally) Does that mean I am on the mailing list?

Maybe.  Maybe not.  You can sign up to make sure you are at http://miopencarry.org/updates
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 11:12:35 PM »
Maybe.  Maybe not.  You can sign up to make sure you are at http://miopencarry.org/updates

+1 and feel free to send that link off to anyone you know, and so on and so forth.

Offline METL

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 09:03:27 AM »
Nicely handled.    8)

Offline drtodd

• MOC Member
  • MOC Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 02:55:45 PM »
You handled it very well... showing once again that, as Mr Heinlein stated, "an armed society is a polite society" ....
"The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime." Miller v. U.S. 230 F 486 at 489

"Where rights as secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation which will abrogate them." Miranda v. Ariz., 384 U.S. 436 at 491 (1966).

Offline JaccFrost

• What do I have to be afraid of? Nothing...
  • First Name (Displayed): Joe
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 02:04:29 AM »
Well played, sir, well played.
As someone who carries, I fully accept responsibility and the consequences of my actions..

Offline dmd7765

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Dave
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 11:13:30 AM »
Text Book Handling of the "Situation"
molon labe!!
MOC Member
MGO Member