Author Topic: Illinois Gov. triggers backlash after changing concealed-carry bill  (Read 5376 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Among those changes, he called for guns to be banned from any business where alcohol is served.

He also added a restriction so that licensed gun owners would only be allowed to carry a single concealed gun and one ammunition clip holding up to 10 rounds.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/07/03/quinn-changes-illinois-concealed-carry-legislation/

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Illinois Gov. triggers backlash after changing concealed-carry bill
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 12:28:35 PM »
I thought the legislature changes laws, not the Governor? Do they do things different in IL?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 12:35:16 PM »
I understand he proposed changes with his veto pen.

It's funny how both some people in the legislature and the governor claim to speak for "the people". What wanton hubris! These jackasses claim they speak for "the people"?

The people in the Michigan Legislature don't speak for my will...neither does our Governor. This is jackassness of the highest magnitude. What arrogance!

Offline Bronson

Re: Illinois Gov. triggers backlash after changing concealed-carry bill
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 03:35:43 PM »
Perhaps I am misinformed, but if IL doesn't get a law in place by a certain date don't they get unrestricted constitutional carry imposed upon them?

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 03:49:27 PM »

Perhaps I am misinformed, but if IL doesn't get a law in place by a certain date don't they get unrestricted constitutional carry imposed upon them?

Bronson

That's correct.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 06:01:24 PM »
Unless they get yet one more extension.  They're already past the date.  They've received two extensions.  SCOTUS Judge Elena Kagan granted one for appealing the court mandate, resetting the appeal date to July 22.  They only have until July 9 to come up with a law, though (was June 9).
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 06:07:29 PM by gryphon »

Offline Bronson

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 06:36:53 PM »
For their sake I hope the legislature drags their feet on overriding the veto or chooses to not pursue it.  Then they get the Golden Ticket.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 06:51:18 PM »

For their sake I hope the legislature drags their feet on overriding the veto or chooses to not pursue it.  Then they get the Golden Ticket.

Bronson

But then no preemption.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 04:39:15 PM »
Illinois House of Representatives Override of Governor's Veto

The House vote to override the veto was 77-31. Next is the Senate.  They only have a few hours left.

Offline Golden Eagle

• MOC Member
  • I VOTED
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 05:36:06 PM »
"Senators voted 41-17 to override Quinn’s amendatory veto of the bill. Earlier in the day, the House voted 77-31 to overturn the governor’s rewrite. The measure now becomes law..."

Read more: http://wgntv.com/2013/07/09/general-assembly-overrides-governors-veto-of-concealed-carry/#ixzz2YaPSICw0

I'm so happy for Ill.  :D
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."

George Washington

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 05:44:06 PM »
Earlier in the day I wrote (elsewhere):

IL's bill is messed up. Way too many loopholes in it, no uniformity across the state. After today Illinois is Con Carry. If they want to override the governor's veto, make it a bill worthwhile. Now that today is the last day, don't shoot yourself in the foot.

Put back some of the original language, such as holding colleges and universities civilly liable for making no-gun rules. Give them state-wide preemption. No pistol-free cities. You've got the power, now do it!

Sadly, they didn't.  Although this is much better than they had before.