Author Topic: Assault Weapon Kit Ban Proposed To Prevent Homemade Assault Weapons  (Read 3740 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan

John Zawahri, the man who shot five people to death near Santa Monica College last month before being killed by police, failed a gun-purchase background check due to a history of mental illness. How, then, did he get the assault-style rifle he used in the slaughter?

He built it, out of parts he legally bought online.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/17/assault-weapon-kit-ban-henry-waxman_n_3605564.html

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
Re: Assault Weapon Kit Ban Proposed To Prevent Homemade Assault Weapons
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 03:57:46 PM »
How did he get the lower? Those require a NICS check unless he purchased it from a private party or the black market.

Sent from my Optimus G using Tapatalk 2

Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline FASBOLD

• First Name (Displayed): Larry
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 04:39:15 PM »
You can buy kits with 80% lowers that are not yet considered a gun.

If you have a drill press or a steady hand, you can drill out the other 20%, and get a gun with no check. It also does not have to have a serial number.

So buy an 80% lower, finish it, and build a complete firearm with off the shelf parts.

It is legal according to ATF to make your own firearm for your own personal use, as long as it is not full auto, and perhaps some other restrictions.

This is why people are trying to use 3-D printing to make guns. The one guy so famous on line had to get a license for manufacture since he intends to give or sell them to others.

I have looked into it a bit. You can buy an 80% lower with a template of where to drill it out.

Those with the right equipment can use a CNC machine to drill out the parts from a solid block of aluminum, steel, or whatever metal meets the specs.

There are places online where you can buy 80% lowers for ARs and 1911s and probably other make and model of guns.

I don't have the equipment to do this, but am intrigued by the idea, so have looked into it a bit.

There are sites that have freely shared CNC plans for all kinds of firearms. If you had the right equipment and supplies you could build all the firearms you wanted.
"The people of these United States are the rightful masters of both Congresses and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
~ Abraham Lincoln
"Too young to die, too old to take an ass whippin'."
~ Unknown

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 04:48:51 PM »
And thus why Gun Control is a logical fallacy when you can roll your own

http://www.rrfaae.com/wp/admin/2013/01/why-gun-control-is-a-logical-fallacy/
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 06:18:36 PM »
Private party?  No check needed for long gun or receiver.

Offline jfmi87

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 08:55:13 PM »
Assault weapons don't exist nor have they ever.

That's all I have to say about that.

Offline tedalton

• MOC Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 05:14:45 PM »
You can buy kits with 80% lowers that are not yet considered a gun.

If you have a drill press or a steady hand, you can drill out the other 20%, and get a gun with no check. It also does not have to have a serial number.

So buy an 80% lower, finish it, and build a complete firearm with off the shelf parts.

It is legal according to ATF to make your own firearm for your own personal use, as long as it is not full auto, and perhaps some other restrictions.

This is why people are trying to use 3-D printing to make guns. The one guy so famous on line had to get a license for manufacture since he intends to give or sell them to others.

I have looked into it a bit. You can buy an 80% lower with a template of where to drill it out.

Those with the right equipment can use a CNC machine to drill out the parts from a solid block of aluminum, steel, or whatever metal meets the specs.

There are places online where you can buy 80% lowers for ARs and 1911s and probably other make and model of guns.

I don't have the equipment to do this, but am intrigued by the idea, so have looked into it a bit.

There are sites that have freely shared CNC plans for all kinds of firearms. If you had the right equipment and supplies you could build all the firearms you wanted.
That's all true, but if you are a prohibited person it is already illegal.  I guess maybe another law will make it more illegal.  That'll stop someone, right?