Author Topic: OC on college classroom w/ CPL?  (Read 5237 times)

Offline packeagle

OC on college classroom w/ CPL?
« on: August 03, 2013, 06:04:45 AM »
Is a college a "local government" and preempted from making firearms laws? They have their own police agencies and receive tax revenue.

I'm returning to college after taking a year off, in that year I made the commitment to carry everywhere it is legal.

Thoughts?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
Re: OC on college classroom w/ CPL?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 07:55:58 AM »
I'm not smart enough to comment on the legality of OC in class but it will take a lot of courage.  With so many professors leaning left it may have a negative impact on your grades and your fellow students may shun you.    I'm sure you will get a lot of good feedback here from the members.  Make sure you consider everything very carefully.    Good luck to you whatever you decide.   :)

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 10:05:08 AM »

Is a college a "local government" and preempted from making firearms laws? They have their own police agencies and receive tax revenue.

I'm returning to college after taking a year off, in that year I made the commitment to carry everywhere it is legal.

Thoughts?

Under existing case law (CADL) a good argument could be made they are preempted. Making that argument will cost a fair amount of money and (if a criminal matter) could cost you liberty if you lose. There is no clear cut answer though.

It's a fight we may pick in the future to get an answer on.

Clear as mud?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline packeagle

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 10:49:55 AM »
About what I expected. I wrote my MI Criminal Law Professor who holds  JD about MCL 123.1102 and how the CADL v. MOC inc. Would relate to universities. Be interesting to see his take. As it stands I will most likely properly and legally secure my firearm in the vehicle.

The prof. is the one who put me on to OC w/ CPL in PFZs.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 10:57:12 AM by packeagle »

Offline LD

• Legal Musings
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 09:12:35 PM »
About what I expected. I wrote my MI Criminal Law Professor who holds  JD about MCL 123.1102 and how the CADL v. MOC inc. Would relate to universities. Be interesting to see his take. As it stands I will most likely properly and legally secure my firearm in the vehicle.

The prof. is the one who put me on to OC w/ CPL in PFZs.

Interesting.... Just what is the proper and legal way to secure a firearm in a vehicle?

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 10:23:34 PM »
Quote from: MCL 750.231
(d) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in the trunk of the vehicle.

(e) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in a vehicle that does not have a trunk and is not readily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle.

edit: posted long gun, not pistol MCL.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 10:30:06 PM by linux203 »
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 12:53:16 AM »
Be advised, even if they are preempted, that only prevents them from charging you with a crime.

It may not prevent them from kicking you out of school.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline packeagle

Re: Re: OC on college classroom w/ CPL?
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 03:49:32 PM »
Be advised, even if they are preempted, that only prevents them from charging you with a crime.

It may not prevent them from kicking you out of school.

Good advise. Sounds like I deffenently WON'T test this out.

Offline LibertyComrade

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 12:03:15 PM »
Relevant Law:
MCL 28.425o (CPL Free Zones)

(1) Subject to subsection (5), an individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol, or who is exempt from licensure under section 12a(1)(f), shall not carry a concealed pistol[/u] on the premises of any of the following:

(h) A dormitory or classroom of a community college, college, or university.

So you cannot carry CONCEALED in a college classroom (or dorm).  However, note that the preemption law only expressly prohibits local governments (defined as cities, villages, townships, and counties -- not universities or school districts, etc.), so it's unclear if the universities are preempted from creating their own rules.

It is my understanding that nearly all of Michigan's public colleges and universities prohibit self-defense rights EXCEPT for Michigan State University.  MSU's rules are that they will only enforce state law: http://trustees.msu.edu/ordinances/ordinances_sec18.html

So it appears to me, and I am not a lawyer, that you could openly carry in classrooms and dorms at MSU (as well as the rest of campus).