Author Topic: New from Howell  (Read 3674 times)

Offline karudin

• First Name (Displayed): Gregg
New from Howell
« on: August 09, 2013, 02:30:56 PM »
Hello everyone, I've been reading through the forums here for a few weeks now and I am glad to have found a great resource for information.

I had recently bought a handgun for recreation but after hearing article after article about people trying to say how bad guns are and should be banned this and that, I figured it was time to join the cause against this and try to educate people that law abiding citizens should not have their right to bear arms taken away. I do not have a CPL yet but plan to get on in the coming months. I have started to OC with hesitation around the apartment complex I live in, but that is about it so far. I've gone over conversations in my head as much as I can to best prepare me if someone does approach me about it. So far I've gotten a few looks but no one has really approached me about why I carry.

My wife, on the other hand, feels that I am just asking for trouble and has a hard time understanding why suddenly I have decided that I would like to open carry. I have tried to explain to her why I feel it is important to use the our rights rather than just surrender to public pressure. She does not have a problem with me owning/carrying but just thinks I am bringing unnecessary attention to myself. Anyone have any tips?

Also I am looking forward to meeting other members at the Open Carry Lunch in Howell on the 24th. I have not seen anyone OC in Howell yet so feel somewhat alone.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 03:07:45 PM by karudin »

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
Re: New from Howell
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 03:01:24 PM »
Welcome from Erie. Glad you are finding us a valuable resource. Not sure about how to explain to your wife. My wife was afraid of guns when we got married 3 years ago, but she has progressed from mere acceptance to actually carrying herself and getting her CPL. I just kept showing her articles about unarmed people being mowed down, and armed people defending themselves. Hope this helps.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline woodtic31

• First Name (Displayed): Reg
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 04:50:13 PM »
Welcome from Roscommon!!
My girlfriend had never been around guns at all until we met 2 years ago. She gets her CPL next Wed!!!! She is also a really big help with coordinating the events up here in the North Country. Hope your wife comes around also.
North East Michigan Coordinator

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 10:55:37 PM »
Welcome from Okemos. :)

Offline springfield40xdm

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 11:10:02 PM »
Welcome from Hartland.  I OC around the Hartland/Howell area all the time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Offline drtodd

• MOC Member
  • MOC Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 12:59:54 PM »
Welcome from the west side of Michigan, karudin. I think most of us have wives, girlfriends, etc that believe open carry is not wise. Hopefully, your wife will follow the majority of these people and become not only "accepting" of OC, but also supporters of the cause.
"The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime." Miller v. U.S. 230 F 486 at 489

"Where rights as secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation which will abrogate them." Miranda v. Ariz., 384 U.S. 436 at 491 (1966).

Offline harleyh77

• First Name (Displayed): Steve
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 02:43:42 PM »
Welcome from Kalamazoo. I bought my handgun this last April and recently got my cpl. I now OC everywhere i go when not at work. She was always ok with me having a gun and acually suggested i get one not knowing that I was looking at them. She did not want to touch it or shoot it. Now after some time has passed she realizes that she is left unprotected when home by herself. She wants her very own pink gun. Give your wife time to get used to being around you when you carry. She will become more comfortable each day when she sees that no guns are drawn and people dont freak out.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life" -Robert A. Heinlein