Author Topic: Flint open carry event needed?  (Read 7473 times)

Offline bang*pow*boom

• Guns are ment to be shot harley
Flint open carry event needed?
« on: June 15, 2010, 02:56:16 PM »
http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2010/06/flints_concealed_weapons_ordin.html

just got done reading this  kinda messed up the way Poplar thinks

Offline bang*pow*boom

Re: Flint open carry event needed?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 02:58:22 PM »
Changing Flint's ordinance would require two public hearings, potentially bringing more attention to the right to carry and putting more guns on the street, some on council believe.

"I'm trying to protect the community," Poplar said. "This is not the wild west."

Offline bang*pow*boom

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 02:59:06 PM »
Bade said changing the ordinance would put the city in a less awkward position if a group supporting the right to openly carry handguns staged an event in a city park, for example, but said he was not aware of any such challenges that are planned.

Offline army74

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 03:24:23 PM »
Maybe there should be a Picnic in the near future I only live 25 minutes to the south in Pontiac Mi same as our council I have to email them to see if there going to change the ordinance here.

Offline JoeCar

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 10:19:09 PM »
I live in Fenton, and I'm interested in a picnic. Maybe we could invite the city lawyer, and the State Police, just for starters. I'm waiting to hear Warchild way in on this.

Offline Glock19

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 12:59:40 AM »
So she must be afraid of every law abiding citizen who owns guns? "there have been 27 homicides -mostly shootings- already this year" 
most of which im sure were not caused by the law abiding citizen...

havent there been studies done where open carry: while following the law, actually decreased crime rates?

Flint is "high" crime area yes, if people are educated on whats lawful and lawful to do where inlies the problem? every where you go there are those who will brake the law, its the few who make it harder for the rest of the law abiding citizens

I think a picnic would be a great idea, just approach with caution.  I conceal carry more than i open carry; just started to open carry in certain areas outside the city of flint, i have yet to open carry in city of flint.

Offline bang*pow*boom

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 07:53:10 AM »
here's your study and statistics

http://www.ncpa.org/pub/st223

Offline Beerme

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 07:25:47 PM »
yay flint
it smells like rotten eggs there lol

Warchild

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 07:52:54 PM »
The only thing flint needs is a layer of top soil to cover the "fertilizer". !!!!!!

Offline ireland896

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 12:55:35 AM »
I'm in Saginaw. I would be in on a picnic.

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 06:49:25 PM »
So she must be afraid of every law abiding citizen who owns guns? "there have been 27 homicides -mostly shootings- already this year" 
most of which im sure were not caused by the law abiding citizen...

I think all of the murders were caused by people that break the law.   :D

Offline bang*pow*boom

Offline Advanced Security

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 11:24:34 PM »

I think a picnic would be a great idea, just approach with caution.  I conceal carry more than i open carry; just started to open carry in certain areas outside the city of flint, i have yet to open carry in city of flint.

I both open and conceal carry in flint almost every day.  To be honest, my police contact has shot through the roof, however, I've yet to be detained, or even ran through LEIN...So, all in all, not a bad deal.

I'd dig on a picnic.

God Bless,

Jeff

Offline army74

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 03:26:37 AM »
Councilman Sheldon Neeley voted to move forward on changing the law, but said he wants the city to look into requiring people who apply for open carry permits in Flint to take a class.

When did anyone have to apply for a Open Carry permit. This is beginning to sound like Pontiac has a twin sister 30 miles north.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2010, 12:11:31 PM »
premption covers carry and means that they cannot legally impose such a permit!
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline emt805

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2010, 05:57:56 PM »
premption covers carry and means that they cannot legally impose such a permit!

I thought the premption would cover this but was not sure if I had missed something with still learning the laws and being new. Would this not be similiar to what New Lothrop just tried to do?

Offline CrossPistols

• Legal Musings
  • Charter Member Mundy Twp.
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2010, 08:37:10 PM »
Regulate means restrict. Innocent people get hurt when they cannot defend themselves.   Not only were there 27 killings by bad guys, but I'd have to guess half of the dead were bad guys also.   
Hotel Sierra Lima Delta!

Offline Glock19

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2010, 10:08:16 PM »
"I don't care what the state wants us to do on this, I still feel it's wrong. People don't understand it," Poplar said
     -Wow really great for a city official to say!!

Councilman Sheldon Neeley voted to move forward on changing the law, but said he wants the city to look into requiring people who open carry in Flint to take a class.
     -a class for what to tell u THE LAW!? not a bad idea but another way for city to make money where not truely needed when private orginizations are already doing so for FREE!

Bade said he wants to make sure the city is not acting outside of its legal authority. He said state law clearly states that local units of government cannot regulate on the issue.
     -how can this even get voted on if thier attorny is telling them THE LAW. Gotta love FLINT

Offline Agent1

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 10:46:32 AM »
Havn't you heard? Flint city officals know best! They are even smarter then the Lawyers.

The city of Flint is in real trouble if this (Re-invention of the law) the best problem for the council to handle at this time.
I don't live in Flint or in Genessee Co. for that matter, but it shows pour ability to handle priority matters if the jobless and homeless are not there primary concern!
"It isn't always being fast or even accurate that counts. It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, arn't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't."
 John Wayne (The Shootist.)