Author Topic: Tucson parents asked to sign weapons contract  (Read 2887 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Tucson parents asked to sign weapons contract
« on: August 16, 2013, 09:31:37 AM »
Arizona school district wants parents to submit to contract agreeing to lock up guns

Second Amendment advocates see the terms of the contract — particularly the ones set out for parents — as a patronizing attempt to govern behavior in private homes.

Under the contract, parents must agree to teach “…including by personal example, my teenager about the dangers and consequences of the misuse of guns and weapons and I will keep any guns and all weapons under lock and away from school grounds and away from my children.”

It is believed the contract was developed under the leadership of the district’s former superintendent John Pedicone. Pedicone left Flowing Wells as the district’s shortest serving superintendent. Years later, he took over the reins at the Tucson Unified School District where he led the district in the fight to preserve it’s resegregating Mexican American Studies classes. Those classes were found to violate Arizona law for promoting resentment against whites and in Hispanic students.

The contract’s requirement that their weapons must be “under lock” raised concerns with many Southern Arizona residents. In Arizona, which has an Open Carry Law, it is generally not considered ill-advised or unusual, especially in the rural areas, to carry a weapon on your person.

http://www.arizonadailyindependent.com/2013/08/13/flowing-wells-parents-asked-to-sign-weapons-contract/

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
Re: Tucson parents asked to sign weapons contract
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 02:08:08 PM »
Being I lived in Tucson for 10+ yrs I am both familiar with the city and the school district itself. As I wrote somewhere else about this, the kids that already do this will continue, the ones who do not will most likely still not. The school district if far from the best and far from the worst and there have been handguns found in the high school in the past. But how can that happen? They have had police in the school already for years.

My guess is that IF something were to go down The school board could use "But we had this contract in place" as an excuse. Yeah right.....