Author Topic: UGB: Hurley Hospital  (Read 19799 times)

Offline bluwc

Re: Who owns Hurley, they refused entry until I checked my gun
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2013, 11:08:39 AM »
I know I had no duty to disclose but I can't avoid the metal detector and bypass the two guards, so that's why I did. Ken, your attorney advised me to write a letter to the board which I will do and I contacted another attorney out of Oakland County who stated that I definitely have a winnable case but what are my damages? He advised the jury may only award $1 in damages and my legal fees would be 25k-40k so I have to ask myself, is it worth it? I guess at this point, 25k-40k bill to prove a point isn't worth it to me. And yet the City will get to continue civil rights violations until someone spends that type of cash to challenge it. This not only affects me but open carry as well. I understand I am exempt to conceal but if someone who wasn't exempt and carried openly as State law allows, I would guarantee they wouldn't get through security at the ER entrance. I'm still waiting for the AG to reply
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 09:20:10 PM by bigt8261 »

Offline ken243

• MOC Member
  • Paramedic
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2013, 03:50:50 PM »
Your damages are denying you entry to your child in the manner you see fit while perfectly legal. You have damages in my opinion. Or, next time just walk through the metal detector and by the guards. Show them your CPL and walk away. They stop you, call the police there are your damages. You are right, it should not be that hard. If you want to pass it up, I will take it on when I am done with this.
Common sense, isn't.
I can't fix stupid.

Offline bluwc

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2013, 10:11:31 AM »
So here's an update

On Monday I contacted the hospital attorney Bill Smith and stated my concerns. Thanks CV67PAT for the link, that was my first statement. I indicated that per their website and tax records through the city assessor's office, the city owned the hospital. I informed him premption applies and urged him to have the hospital comply with State law. His reply was"I'm not denying that". He told me that he would investigate the situation and get back with me.

Late Tuesday he called my phone twice. I didn't hear it so called back. He informed me that the hospital will be changing their weapons policy. He said he didn't know the specifics but told me I would be happy. He said it will take about a month for the new policy to be written and have the staff trained. So far this looks like a good move without a legal battle.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Who owns Hurley, they refused entry until I checked my gun
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2013, 08:48:40 PM »
Sweet!
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Jeff

Re: UGB: Hurley Hospital
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2013, 10:53:41 PM »
That's great to hear, good work.  Keep us posted on what they actually do.

Offline Pr0jeCt

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2014, 11:14:12 PM »
So... what did they do?

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
UGB: Hurley Hospital
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2014, 06:51:51 AM »
Wiki says this is an NPO. As a private org they may lawfully ban guns as they please.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurley_Medical_Center

I'm moving this out of gov abuse as it's not a gov
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2014, 09:38:27 AM »
Wiki says this is an NPO. As a private org they may lawfully ban guns as they please.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurley_Medical_Center

I'm moving this out of gov abuse as it's not a gov
It's publicly owned. It's board is appointed by the Mayor of Flint, with the approval of the City Council. Looks like a "Local Unit of Government" with a fancy name.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Jeff

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2014, 11:39:23 AM »
I can't seem to figure out if my local hospital is considered public or private either :(

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2014, 11:41:29 AM »
I can't seem to figure out if my local hospital is considered public or private either :(
What hospital is it?
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Jeff

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2014, 12:33:32 PM »
What hospital is it?

William Beaumont Hospital (royal oak) also has a troy location.  I think formally known as beaumont health system.

It also says non profit but I can't seem to find anything else out, or I just don't know exactly what to look for.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2014, 12:51:31 PM »
That's a privately owned facility. Part of the St Johns network of hospitals.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2014, 01:07:51 PM »
That's a privately owned facility. Part of the St Johns network of hospitals.

How did you figure that out, what should I have been looking for?

Also I thought for sure those were separate hospitals.

OK ANOTHER EDIT:  I was told by an employee that they are not affiliated with St Johns.

Offline woodtic31

• First Name (Displayed): Reg
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2014, 03:31:12 PM »
This has nothing to do with Hurley. Just thought I would tell about my experience at Grayling Mercy Hospital.

I went to get blood drawn on a Saturday this past fall. I was running errands around town also, so I was OC'ing. I did not know what the hospitals policy was on OC so because I was in a hurry and wanting  to avoid a conflict, I left my pistol in the truck with Cindy. (yes she has a CPL ). I ask the front desk about their policy and the lady had no idea. I had my blood drawn and as I left the building the janitor yelled out " Hey you lost something". I shook my head and asked him what he was talking about. He pointed to my holster and said " you lost your gun ". Told him about not knowing the policy and  he told me. " I've never heard of one. Doesn't matter anyhow. They will call me because I am also security and as far as I'm concerned you can carry all you want. Some people may get nervous, but the will get over it." So we had a conversation about OC and and gave him a few Tri-folds.
Have to get blood drawn in a few more weeks. I sure hope that janitor is on duty cause I'm gonna test them!
North East Michigan Coordinator

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2014, 08:43:11 PM »
How did you figure that out, what should I have been looking for?

Also I thought for sure those were separate hospitals.

OK ANOTHER EDIT:  I was told by an employee that they are not affiliated with St Johns.
You're right they aren't. They just network their patient information. My doc has direct access to St Johns and Beaumont but has to request info from Huron Valley or McLaren.

Offline Pr0jeCt

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2014, 07:07:34 PM »

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2014, 04:14:08 AM »

Offline karudin

• First Name (Displayed): Gregg
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2014, 02:45:08 PM »
Well my son had to be transported to hurley and they have signs posted everywhere saying no weapons regardless of conceal permit. I'll take a pic later and post it.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2014, 02:48:08 PM »
Well my son had to be transported to hurley and they have signs posted everywhere saying no weapons regardless of conceal permit. I'll take a pic later and post it.
Public hospital.

Offline karudin

• First Name (Displayed): Gregg
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2014, 03:57:46 PM »
Public hospital.

yeah I know but son is only a day old so don't feel like fighting them about it.