Author Topic: Sheriff Federspiel, Officer Darby...A question Please...  (Read 3707 times)

Offline ireland896

Sheriff Federspiel, Officer Darby...A question Please...
« on: June 22, 2010, 12:48:17 AM »
     I was in my home town of Saginaw MI where I OC often and the other day i had a unique opportunity to to bend the ear of Saginaw's finest. I frequent a local a local coffee shop in Olde Town Saginaw and over the last couple months, i have been having talks with the usual crowd about OC. We are all CPL holders and for the most part are content with that but I have been trying to convince them of our legal ability to OC a holstered pistol. Well anyway, I had printed some information off Michiganopencarry.org to show them some of the literature you guys are providing. As I am walking down the sidewalk to meet with them, I see that Saginaw County Sheriff Federspiel and Saginaw Township Officer Darby are in the shop having a cup. After a while of waiting with the few friends outside, the officers came out and I had the opportunity to ask a few questions. I started out by handing the sheriff the papers I printed and asked if this was in order. Almost immediately he looked up and smiled. He thanked me for stopping him and asked where i had gotten this information. He said he was a supporter of OC and then went into talking with the group of us. It was really neat to see because after a few minutes, there were a few people passing by and stopped to listen in. He basically covered the just of the pamphlet and invited any of us to ask him questions if we see him around again. As he was about to leave, i asked the question; Is the rest of your department familiar with my ability to openly carry my weapon (pistol)? He told me his department was well informed and comfortable with OC. Officer Darby, quietly standing by, what about your department? She said that she was familiar but the Saginaw Township Police Department has not had much experience or many encounters with persons carrying openly. I did think it was a bit strange that two departments that work so close together were not as informed as the other. I am glad to see that my community does support OC but now i know that we still have a long way to go to with educating the people and also the officials.   

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
Re: Sheriff Federspiel, Officer Darby...A question Please...
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 07:12:11 AM »
And the best way to do so ... just OC. And remember no matter where you are while OCing your voice recorder should be running!
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline TheElk

Re: Sheriff Federspiel, Officer Darby...A question Please...
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 09:02:21 AM »
Keep up the good work!
I'm MarineSgt on OCDO and smalls on MGO. Someone who can't be trusted to walk free in public with a firearm shouldn't be walking around free.