Author Topic: Texas Company makes 1911 using 3D Printing  (Read 4321 times)

Offline FASBOLD

• First Name (Displayed): Larry
Texas Company makes 1911 using 3D Printing
« on: November 08, 2013, 08:40:33 PM »
Interesting, this is a metal based printing, so you end up with a metal firearm. All 3D printed, except the springs.

I first saw this on CNN, and of course, the talking head had a snarky comment at the end of the report. He also calls is a model one nine one one, instead of 1911, lol.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/08/tech/innovation/3d-printed-metal-gun/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Here is the link to the page from Solid Concepts web site where you can get the straight scoop. http://blog.solidconcepts.com/industry-highlights/worlds-first-3d-printed-metal-gun/

I would like to see a write up of full-blown testing of this gun to see if it is truly up to the task.
"The people of these United States are the rightful masters of both Congresses and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
~ Abraham Lincoln
"Too young to die, too old to take an ass whippin'."
~ Unknown

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: Texas Company makes 1911 using 3D Printing
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 09:57:40 PM »
Yeah, my bet is the integrity/strength of the metal isn't all that great.  Kind of like the slide of a Hi-Point.   ;D

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
Re: Re: Texas Company makes 1911 using 3D Printing
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 07:07:04 AM »
Yeah, my bet is the integrity/strength of the metal isn't all that great.  Kind of like the slide of a Hi-Point.   ;D

Well not to disagree but, unless you plan on dropping your pistol on concrete often - zamak-3 , slides are fine for blow-back guns in my opinion. It's an alloy of zinc/aluminum/copper used in many items including automobiles. It won't rust either. I own many such guns & they are all still working fine. This includes two that are over 20 years old.

Zamak-3 is also used by Walther in the P-22, and SIG in the misquito 22LR pistol, and Henry uses it in many of their rifles (housings). So how come no one gripes about them? Hi-Point's are decent guns for the money. When I'm in Wayne Co I will often carry their 45's which are more than accurate for pistol combat ranges. If some sticky fingered badged THUG wants to steal that - so be it. ;) I won't be crying like I might over losing a Wilson Custom combat, etc...

They are what they are, but they are ok OC pistols and awesome boat/car/nightstand guns. The carbines are also very reliable and accurate in my experiences. They are P+ rated and the barrel is  steel just like all other pistols (all be it a thicker barrel than most semi-auto's)

Here's what all my 45's in "Hi-Point" are capable of.   ;)

« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 07:17:35 AM by Glock9mmOldStyle »
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline Jeff

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 03:20:29 PM »
The news last night spoke about it briefly I believe it was NBC, it's my channel 4 I never pay attention to what the heck they are though. 

Before the actual news story they did one of those ....And coming up.  There is a problem with a gun that could be dangerous, stay tuned.

Then all they did was a 30 second thing about 3D printed guns, not mentioning any problems or anything.  I wonder if they said what they did to get people to watch, or to try to drill into peoples heads that there is a problem, and it's dangerous....and that dangerous problem is 3D printed guns.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
Re: Re: Texas Company makes 1911 using 3D Printing
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 04:11:52 PM »
unless you plan on dropping your pistol on concrete often

Zamak-3 is also used by Walther in the P-22... So how come no one gripes about them?

They do!   ;D

Here's what all my 45's in "Hi-Point" are capable of.   ;)
Pretty good shootin'!

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
Re: Re: Re: Texas Company makes 1911 using 3D Printing
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 07:59:36 PM »

They do!   ;D

Pretty good shootin'!

Thanks - ;)

Well in the case of Hi-Point you simply pick up the scattered parts and send them back. Wait a week or two and a new pistol shows up for you. :)

For some one on a super tight budget Hi-Points are (sub $200) a better choice than nothing.  Honestly, they perform on par with many of the big brand names.  Fixed barrel pistols are usually more accurate than a break-barrel design. As with all things in life, there's a trade off. Hi-Points are bulky and a bit heavy. They must be, as the mass of the slide is used to hold the chamber closed until pressure has dropped to a safe ejection point. I have thousands of rounds through them and they simply work in my experience. If not, Hi-Point fixes or replaces them. O0
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 10:10:54 PM »
A friend of mine went out with his son to buy a pistol.  (He's no stranger to firearms).  After careful selection he purchased an FN (FNX if I remember correctly).  His son, not having as much disposable income, purchased a Hi-Point.  They later went out to the range shooting and he liked his son's Hi-Point better than his more expensive FN.  He now owns several Hi-Points and keeps them stashed various places around the house and often carries one over his FN one in his truck.  He still carries his FNX.  He doesn't carry the Hi-Point because it is too heavy.

But it's still ugly.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 02:34:11 PM by gryphon »

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 05:03:35 AM »
@ Griff - funny you should mentention FNX's. I have a 45 (15+1) it is slightly more accurate, (better ergos) but @$700 + $50 per mag when you can find them, they are not a budget gun. The HP 45 goes for $160 - $175 mags are $18 shipped free from Hi-Point. If capacity is a concern- you can get Pro-mag 14 rounders for $25 (yes they work - see pics above). So for around $200 one can have a (14+1) 45acp. In short ugly, bulky, yes - accurate, affordable, reliable - yes. 8)
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993