Author Topic: open carry in Burton Michigan  (Read 4516 times)

Offline SKIDADDY

open carry in Burton Michigan
« on: June 30, 2010, 02:04:37 PM »
I live in Burton Mi. and I've had a ccw for 12 years,and I heard that people can carry a gun out in the open. Is it true that I could carry my gun out in the open anywhere except banks & such places. I don't go to Flint if I can help it because it almost to dangerous. Can someone help me answer this question? 

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
Re: open carry in Burton Michigan
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 02:27:45 PM »
Welcome!

That said you have some reading to do!

Start here http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/index.php?topic=25.0

And then read or view each of the stickies in the OC Questions sub forum. Once you have done that start a thread in the OC questions sub forum with any questions about what you just read!
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline TheElk

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 02:49:40 PM »
I live in Burton Mi. and I've had a ccw for 12 years,and I heard that people can carry a gun out in the open. Is it true that I could carry my gun out in the open anywhere except banks & such places. I don't go to Flint if I can help it because it almost to dangerous. Can someone help me answer this question?  

Following autosurgeon's advice is a good idea! It will help give you a solid understanding of Michigan Law in the area of concealed and open carry. That being said, yes you can open carry a firearm in Michigan as long as you are 18, have no felonies, and have a pistol legally registered to you in the State of Michigan. You still have to observe all transportation laws concerning firearms and cannot carry in "Pistol Free Zones". If you have a Concealed Pistol License you may Open Carry in many new places otherwise prohibited. That is why it is important to read all of the "stickies" and info available online. Good Luck!
I'm MarineSgt on OCDO and smalls on MGO. Someone who can't be trusted to walk free in public with a firearm shouldn't be walking around free.

Offline Bronson

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 05:08:38 PM »
I live in Burton Mi. and I've had a ccw for 12 years

If you have a CCW you cannot be in possession of a firearm......ok, that's an inside joke which I'll explain  ;D

A CCW is, technically, a criminal charge of unlawfully Carrying a Concealed Weapon.  The acronym CCW is often erroneously used when referencing a Michigan CPL (Concealed Pistol License).  It seems like a small distinction but words mean specific things and we should strive to use them correctly when dealing with legal matters.

Here's an example...

You are open carrying, minding your own business and not breaking any laws.  A very polite police officer comes up and in a friendly manner asks "Practicing your open carry rights huh?"  You reply in the affirmative and he then asks "Do you have a CCW?"  You again reply in the affirmative because you assume he is talking about your license to carry concealed when in fact you've just told him that you have a felony conviction on your record for unlawfully Carrying a Concealed Weapon which means that you cannot be in possession of a firearm.  He now has reasonable suspicion to detain and search you while he investigates.

Be careful out there.

Bronson

« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 12:47:08 AM by Bronson »
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 06:02:45 PM »
 That's right but remember u do not need a cpl.  Or no ID on u. When u are just open carrying. Just watch what u say. Or say very little. Carry On.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.