Author Topic: We should have a rally on 3 (Sunday the 2nd) March in GR  (Read 20639 times)

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
We should have a rally on 3 (Sunday the 2nd) March in GR
« on: January 10, 2014, 01:19:30 PM »
I think that we should have an open carry rally on 3 March in Grand Rapids.

Why? One year anniversary of Deffert having his rights violated.

Thoughts? It's a Monday.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 08:13:59 AM by bigt8261 »
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline 32_d3gr33s

• First Name (Displayed): Anthony
Re: We should have a rally on 3 March in GR
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 01:27:08 PM »
I think that we should have an open carry rally on 3 March in Grand Rapids.

Why? One year anniversary of Deffert having his rights violated.

Thoughts? It's a Monday.

Walk the same street maybe?  I'm down
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

I shoot first... its better to give than to receive

Offline Raggs

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 02:06:51 PM »
Walk the same street maybe?  I'm down

Perhaps walk down Mayor Heartwell's street would be even better?

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 05:54:06 PM »
@Raggs

I'd almost fly in for that one! :) Great idea.
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline Raggs

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 07:28:29 PM »
@Raggs

I'd almost fly in for that one! :) Great idea.

I will buy you lunch!

Offline fsr402

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 07:31:41 AM »
I AM IN...

Offline Raggs

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 07:46:56 AM »
Anyone know where George lives?

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 11:41:08 AM »
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Raggs

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 11:42:38 AM »
I do think this is a great idea. I think doing it on March 2nd would be better, being a Sunday more people would likely be able to come than on the Monday the 3rd.

Offline 91 whiskey

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 07:56:07 PM »
I'm down for it.   Just tell me where we're meeting up.
Elephants and Asses
Screwing The Masses.

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 08:53:48 PM »
I do think this is a great idea. I think doing it on March 2nd would be better, being a Sunday more people would likely be able to come than on the Monday the 3rd.

I think the March 2nd date makes a lot of sense.  For sure we would get a better turn out.  As much as I don't care for Mayor Heartwell I am not a fan of staging a march at his house.  Starting on Michigan by the Third Reformed Church and walking down Michigan Street and finishing at the City County Building is about 3 miles.

Offline Raggs

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 08:56:22 PM »
I think going by his house which is on a major road would be fine, I believe that MOC has had events near a senators house in the past. I also think that it would be noticed more if it were on Fulton that close to downtown.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 08:40:52 AM »
The link worked earlier, not now though.

Still works for me.

I agree that going past the Mayor's house would not be a good idea. Know who you are working against and you will understand. I am also ethically opposed to it.

It's sounding like a Sunday walk may have enough support and Sunday should be alright since the officer asked if this is what the plaintiff does on a Sunday. To me, there are two potential destinations. The corner of Michigan & Lakeside (location of detainment) and Monroe Center (City Hall). These two places are 2.7 miles apart, so they may not both be feasible.

As for staging, we could park at Monroe Center and then walk down Michigan to Lakeside (2.7 miles), but then we would have to walk the 2.7 miles back. Another option is park at Fuller Park which is roughly half way in between.

Offline casper

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2014, 09:29:43 AM »
Count me, and some friends in.  :D

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2014, 09:56:03 AM »
If you believe the City Commission is in part responsible for what happened to Mr. Deffert, then call and/or write the Commissions and attend a City Commission meeting.

I can neither confirm, nor deny anything that has happened with a Senator in the past, but I would not stand in support of it.

Again, know who your opponent is and understand what your actions are likely to produce.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2014, 12:25:57 PM »
If you believe the City Commission is in part responsible for what happened to Mr. Deffert, then call and/or write the Commissions and attend a City Commission meeting.

I can neither confirm, nor deny anything that has happened with a Senator in the past, but I would not stand in support of it.

Again, know who your opponent is and understand what your actions are likely to produce.
The "Senator" that is spoken of is Michigan Repugnican Senator Randy Richardville. During the time when SB-59 was languishing in committee, and Repugnican RINO Richardville was refusing to bring it to the floor for a vote, MOC held 2 rallies in Monroe. One of them included a protest march down the street that his residence was on.  In my opinion the rallies were a tremendous failure, insofar as getting Repugnican RINO Richardville to move the legislation forward. There may have been some other indirect successes.

This situation is no different. As our (assistant) Legislative Director has indicated, the best way to address any involvement by the council in this matter is confront them headlong in their open arena. Making them uncomfortable in their political homes is the best approach. It sheds light on the cockroaches for their constituents to see as they truly are. And anything that impacts the electability of a politician gets their attention!

A protest march in from of the mayor's house will get the attention of but a few. But to draw attention to their continued unlawful support of illegal ordinances right in their council chambers will hurt them right where it matters... their paycheck.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline casper

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 01:29:44 PM »
So lets set up a time to all meet there then, simple.