Author Topic: Other Firearm Organizations  (Read 8939 times)

Offline xxarea83xx

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
Other Firearm Organizations
« on: March 12, 2014, 08:55:40 AM »
My membership here has finally gone through! I'm glad to be a part of the movement.

Is there anyone here who is a member of any other organizations, statewide or national?

NRA, NAGR, GoA, MGO, MCRGO,......? Let me know which ones are worthwhile. I wouldn't mind supporting at least one more worthy organization.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 11:43:39 AM »
Other state orgs are: MCRGO and MGO. I am a dues paying member of both. They both have reasons to support and reasons that some would say they aren't worth support.

MCRGO:
Pro - they are generally well organized and get things done.
Con - they have paid staff. At least some ppl see that as a negative.

MGO:
Pro - they have a nice forum, they have 100% volunteers
Con - they have a history of being disorganized (as most all volunteer orgs have), the aren't as effective legislatively (but I'm optimistic that can change with Makowski running legislation).
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline detroit_fan

• AmmoDump
  • 2 chairs, no waiting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
Re: Other Firearm Organizations
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 11:57:26 AM »
I am a member of the NRA, and MOC of course. I have been hesitant to support MCRGO until I see them fully supporting OC. Brady, who runs the MCRGO FB site is very pro-OC, but as an organization, a lot of their members are still the CC only crowd. I do think MCRGO is heading in the right direction, and it seems FB has allowed them to be much more effective at organizing things than they were before. I personally don't mind them being paid, IF i'm seeing results.

When it comes to the NRA, obviously i see a lot of pros and several cons. The main reason i am a member of the NRA is that I believe they are the only org strong enough to actually stop anything at the federal level. I think obama's gun control bill would have passes last year without the NRA to oppose it.  I think it makes more sense to join a huge, established org like the NRA and turn it into what you want it to be, rather than blow it up and try to start a new one that isn't feared in DC. I think this is slowly happening, as the NRA has taken a more "absolutist" stand on 2A issues  lately.

MGO- i used to use their forum, now i just use MOC's. I have nothing against them, i just don't really see them accomplishing anything so i have no idea why i would give them money. jmo

I like GOA, i need to become a member. Same with SAF, they have been making some real progress at the judicial level. I was also a member of Florida carry during their fight for OC in FL, I haven't renewed that one though.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 12:12:37 PM »
MCRGO:
Pro - they are generally well organized and get things done.

What have they done to advance the rights of gun owners in the last six (or more) years?

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 01:40:04 PM »

What have they done to advance the rights of gun owners in the last six (or more) years?

SBR/SBS is (as I understand it) a near done deal.

SB 59 was driven with a lot of help from MCRGO.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 03:27:30 PM »
MOC
MGO
NRA
OCDO

and a few firearm related forums

only pay dues here, lifetime NRA member

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 03:35:54 PM »
They got "Michigan Pistols" abolished. (Insert fancy smiley here.)
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Jeff

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 10:38:59 PM »
I am an NRA member for the past 2 years.  I became a member shortly after buying my first firearm.

I plan to be a paying member here when the seminar in my area happens this month.  Until then I have no cool forum picture of pink bunnies and nacos with dynamite eating flaming skulls and corn flakes for breakfast without sugar because if you add sugar why not just buy frosted flakes!!

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 09:50:39 AM »
lol all it really does is put that blue box. not a big deal. i feel better knowing i am supporting worth while!

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
Re: Re: Other Firearm Organizations
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 10:15:47 AM »
They got "Michigan Pistols" abolished. (Insert fancy smiley here.)

Ding, ding, ding
We have a winner.

I am a member here, mgo and endowment life with NRA.

After mgo cleaned house I thought I would try to give them another chance (if they stay with the brain dead thoughts and push crap bills like the one Pat mentioned, it will be the last chance), had NRA life over 20 years so I can't do much about that. Here well I guess I'm just along for the ride, since I am out of state a lot and since my opinions are so different than many people who do have time, all I can do hope for the best.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 12:39:32 PM »
Hijack dealt with and moved to Utica thread: http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/index.php/topic,3840.0.html

Offline xxarea83xx

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 12:44:24 PM »
Hijack dealt with and moved to Utica thread: http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/index.php/topic,3840.0.html

Thanks. I wasnt trying to knock anyone for their questions (especially considering i was the one who pretty much jacked my own thread). Just trying to keep on topic.

Back to it though, Anyone else have an opinion on other .org's?

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 02:21:06 PM »
I haven't joined yet, but SAF has done some fantastic work on the legal front.  I not real happy with NRA, but some clubs require you to be a member of NRA, I'm guessing for insurance purposes.

Offline SteveS

• AmmoDump
  • First Name (Displayed): Steve
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 09:09:32 PM »
I haven't joined yet, but SAF has done some fantastic work on the legal front.  I not real happy with NRA, but some clubs require you to be a member of NRA, I'm guessing for insurance purposes.

I have been a member of SAF for about 10+ years.  They are relatively low key, but they do a tremendous amount on the litigation front. 

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 09:27:11 PM »
The last two issues of the MOC Newsletter has linked some SAF work.  Check them and the newsletter out.